Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-26-2004, 11:11 PM

Default Ableton 3 + PTLE expand track count?

I remember reading a thread where a user discussed that with ableton live and the rewire client, you could increase the track count of PTLE.

The audio preferences dialog in Ableton, when running PTLE and rewire, simply reads "Running Rewire - use rewire client to route audio"

And when Rewire / ptle is NOT running, Ableton does not recognize the Digi wav, OR Asio drivers, rendering it useless as a standalone with just a digi 001 - 002 or M-Box.

Inserting Ableton Live / Rewire - into a stereo aux brings audio nicely into PTLE from Ableton, the sync works nicely as well, however, really.... this app is only of use to me in an audio Track count increse solution, if I can route inputs to it, and record 24 tracks of BG vocals, all returning on an Aux into PT.

Ideally I was under the assumption, that somehow, when I had 27 - 30 tracks in PTLE, I could continue recording layered parts in Ableton, continue saving the Ableton session as "BGVOX" or "GUITAR PARTS" send the rewire aux output to a bus, record that bus into PT, as a working 2 mix of my BGVOX session, orchestra session, or what ever I really needed heavy multi tracking for, but there seems to be no way to get inputs into Ableton in rewire mode, to record into Ableton, sync'd to a pro-tools session.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, and have just missed an input dialog somewhere, or there is an "Input" feature to the rewire client that I'm unaware of ??

It still seems as though my old ways are still best... working with 2-mixes of sections, and saving several projects through the process like - BigLove-Strings.pts, BigLove-BGs.pts, BigLove-Beds.pts, BigLove-Pre-Pro.pts..... etc....

And when it comes time to mix, importing the strings, Bg's, Guitars, (and what ever else) 2 mixes into my bed session.

- MacPro 6,1 Intel Xeon E5 2.7 GHz 12-Core 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
- HDX II Sonnet xMacPro Server
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT 2018.10
- OS X 10.14.4
- ProTools Dock / PT Control
Old 02-27-2004, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Ableton 3 + PTLE expand track count?

The trick is to copy a few tracks as seperate files, and open those files for playback in Live. Then you can either mix it together in Live, and stream that mixed "stream" to ptle, or route every track in Live to its own aux-track in ptle. So recording won't work, playing back will.

Bastiaan
Old 02-27-2004, 11:52 AM

Yeah, that's what I figured, I'll continue as usual over here, I'm fine with my meathods. When I am mid project, at 20 or so tracks, and a violinist is coming over to layer 30 or so string parts, I wouldn't have to print a working 2 mix in PTLE - delete all other tracks and save the PTS as strings.pts opening up 30 tracks / voices - for overdubbing string parts - at the end of the session, after all my string edits and mixing, I preint a 2 mix of the strings to a track, and import session data, on my original session, this works well for me, and I have no complaints.

I got excited about the prospects of eliminating this process, and just opening an aux - rewire - ableton - and continuing to record my 30 string parts in Ableton, sync'd to my 20 or so track PT session, and rather than creating many .pts files of layered sessions, I'd have Ableton sessions that would re-wire into my pt session - for recording when available voices are limited in PT.

Vegas audio has unlimited tracks, I may actually try a few sessions where i'm concerned about having to manage voices when layering parts, using 2 mixes from pro-tools.

Vegas seems to utalize the Digi asio driver quite nicely.

- MacPro 6,1 Intel Xeon E5 2.7 GHz 12-Core 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
- HDX II Sonnet xMacPro Server
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT 2018.10
- OS X 10.14.4
- ProTools Dock / PT Control
Old 02-28-2004, 08:39 AM

After I record a track in PT I will consolidate it right away. Just select the track from the session start to the end of its' audio and consolidate (Alt+shift+3). In Ableton I will play back that consolidated audio right away from the audio folder in PT and take the one in PT offliine so that its still in the session. It gets routed to an aux in PT. Very simple and fast. With Ableton we can get 16 extra tracks of ReWire (or 8 stereo pairs for your layers). You'll have to record your audio in PT though. You should be able to do your layers quickly. With a template in Ableton you should be able to do tons of layers faster than your described method. Also, Ableton in stand alone mode works on my system using the 001, 002 and Mbox so I'm not sure whats going on there.

Shan

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit