Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 06-14-2016, 01:22 PM

Default Change in Tab key Behaviour?

Anyone notice that in Pro Tools 12 (.4 HD) the behaviour of the tab key has changed? It used to be that when I hit tab on an empty track (or after the last region on a track), the cursor would go to the end of the last region in the session or the last automation breakpoint, whichever was later, but never beyond the last 'event' in the session. I could hit tab a couple times to be sure I was at the end of all audio info, which was great for quickly dropping into record for a wild line.

I just installed v12 yesterday (previously on v11) and noticed (during a record, or course) that if I hit tab more than once on an empty track, it goes to the VERY end of the session (dictated by the Session Length in the setup window) and I can't go into record quickly... as I used to. I can tab back (Option+Tab) to the last region boundary, but I really prefer the way it used to work.

Am I alone in preferring the old behaviour (which has been there at least since somewhere around v4 or v5)? Why change it now? Why would one need to tab to the very end of the session? You can't play anything forward from there. It's a wall.

On the plus side: Pro Tools 12 didn't crash during my session today. I was stable on 11 but having OS issues, hence the software update.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Change in Tab key Behaviour?

In the toolbar below the trim tool check to see if you have Tab to Transient enabled. It looks like an arrow pointing right into a waveform. When this is not selected tabs should move to region ends.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Change in Tab key Behaviour?

No, tab to transient is not enabled. Even if it was I don't think it wouldn't change the behavior. I'm clicking in areas where there are no regions in order to get to the end of all audio quickly so I can go into record without anything else playing back.