Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2018

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-04-2019, 03:37 PM
blastula blastula is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 213
Default Elastic Audio and Trashing Prefs

I know now to trash prefs whenever somethings going wrong. All kinds of little weird malfunctions are correctable by trashing prefs....right?

Today, I was using Elastic Audio, had changed the tempo and done some warping....Then proceeded to change a guitar track from Polyrhythmic mode to X-Form....and the track just defaulted to it's unelastic state...Undid and redid numerous times. Same result. Then, trashed prefs, and everything worked beautifully....
Just made me overall nervous, like what kind of little audio corruptions are happening that we're not noticing? should we be trashing prefs every hour?
Any thoughts?
Rob



PT HDX1 2018.12.0

Sierra 10.12.6
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-05-2019, 07:20 PM
albee1952 albee1952 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: nashville
Posts: 34,912
Default Re: Elastic Audio and Trashing Prefs

X-form takes forever. With a 3 minute audio track, I've seen upwards of 10 minutes for it to render. Try staying with Poly(or whichever option suits the audio)
__________________
Gigabyte X79/intel i7 3930K, 32GB RAM, DIGI003 Rack
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...0sound%20works


The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-06-2019, 09:46 AM
midnightrambler midnightrambler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,282
Default Re: Elastic Audio and Trashing Prefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastula View Post
I know now to trash prefs whenever somethings going wrong. All kinds of little weird malfunctions are correctable by trashing prefs....right?

Today, I was using Elastic Audio, had changed the tempo and done some warping....Then proceeded to change a guitar track from Polyrhythmic mode to X-Form....and the track just defaulted to it's unelastic state...Undid and redid numerous times. Same result. Then, trashed prefs, and everything worked beautifully....
Just made me overall nervous, like what kind of little audio corruptions are happening that we're not noticing? should we be trashing prefs every hour?
Any thoughts?
Rob




PT HDX1 2018.12.0

Sierra 10.12.6
I've had different issues with elastic audio but the cure was the same as yours - trashing preferences. Seems bizarre that that whole section of EA can go easily awry with a corrupted pref file. And why does the pref file even get corrupted in the first place? So strange.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-07-2019, 03:40 PM
blastula blastula is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 213
Default Re: Elastic Audio and Trashing Prefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
X-form takes forever. With a 3 minute audio track, I've seen upwards of 10 minutes for it to render. Try staying with Poly(or whichever option suits the audio)

I only use x-form when I'm getting artifacts from polyrhythmic.


One thing that I've discovered though is sometimes I can make artifacts go away by deleting all the analysis markers (after warping, of course)....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-2019, 06:40 PM
Sardi Sardi is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,701
Default Re: Elastic Audio and Trashing Prefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastula View Post
I only use x-form when I'm getting artifacts from polyrhythmic.


One thing that I've discovered though is sometimes I can make artifacts go away by deleting all the analysis markers (after warping, of course)....


Yep.

IMHO, if you remove the analysis markers that aren’t on the consonants or start of transients, Polyphonic sounds better than X-Form. You don’t get the smearing artefacts.

My way of working is to change the analysis strength to around 85-90%, stretch the audio as needed, play with the algorithm settings until it sounds as good as can be, then manually add the analysis markers where I need them to stop any artefacts from the stretching. Works perfectly virtually every time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-09-2019, 12:56 AM
midnightrambler midnightrambler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,282
Default Re: Elastic Audio and Trashing Prefs

This is another reason why EA is in desperate need for an overhaul. The analysis markers thing was good in theory but can put unnecessary lumps all over the place on the audio. (I also remove all unnecessary analysis markers)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-09-2019, 06:08 PM
blastula blastula is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 213
Default Re: Elastic Audio and Trashing Prefs

this is great.
thanks all.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trashing Prefs & Restoring Prefs - Sticky? quangaroo macOS 9 11-24-2018 11:43 PM
Trashing prefs....why? audiogeekzine 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 14 04-28-2008 01:35 PM
Trashing prefs in PT 7? guy.fi 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 12 11-02-2006 05:47 AM
Trashing Prefs kikumoto 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 1 05-23-2006 06:01 AM
trashing prefs kmshroom 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 16 10-07-2003 09:09 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com