Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-07-2009, 11:10 AM

Default volume automation and a control surface (BCF2000)

When you're mixing tracks without volume automation, if you adjust the fader up or down, it brings the volume of the whole track up or down by the amount that you move the fader. but, once you have volume automation on the track, if you try using the fader, it just snaps back to the volume set by the automation. this means that once i have a single node of automation on the track, the faders on my control surface become useless since they're not touch sensitive.

is there a way to have the faders adjust the volume of the whole track while maintaining the automation? that is, if i have automation, and then lower the fader say 2db, that lowers the volume of the entire track, automation and all, by 2db?

thanks.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:38 AM

Default Re: volume automation and a control surface (BCF2000)

as the volume automation is tied to the fader what you're suggesting is impossible unless you (A) set up an aux and route the track into it OR (B) use an automated gain plugin instead of volume automation.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pronto View Post
is there a way to have the faders adjust the volume of the whole track while maintaining the automation? that is, if i have automation, and then lower the fader say 2db, that lowers the volume of the entire track, automation and all, by 2db?
thanks.
Only HD has this option with 'trim mode' - don't think it's an option with one of the toolkits.
Have you tried highlighting the track in the edit window in 'volume' mode and just drag the already written automation down 2db? I think I might have done this before, just can't remember.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murt View Post
Only HD has this option with 'trim mode' - don't think it's an option with one of the toolkits.
Have you tried highlighting the track in the edit window in 'volume' mode and just drag the already written automation down 2db? I think I might have done this before, just can't remember.
yeah, this of course works... i just wanted to get away from the mouse if possible.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:49 PM

I write automation as my very final step when mixing, but sometime I do automate stuff for a rough mixdown or comp reference. I don't use a surface, so if you are trying to find a way to get the fader on your surface to take everything up or down by 2 dB after you write automation, your screwed.

But if you just want to adjust the volume after the fader has automation, I just add a Trim plugin to my track and do all my minor extra adjustments that way. It might seem like a pain to have to open a plugin every time you want to adjust volume, but its not that big of a deal to me. I just got used to it.

Like I said, I usually don't have this problem until I'm at the end of my mixing and usually my mix is static enough by then that I don't have to do much. Maybe a 1dB one way or another, but mostly my mix will just need automation at that point. Everything else is sitting nice.

If you really need the fader on your surface, i think rhythmtechnologies had it right. Just bus it into an aux track, and then control the fader of the aux instead.
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 07-08-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Just bus it into an aux track, and then control the fader of the aux instead.
+1 ,,,,,,,,,,, also a great way, of coarse, to control a group.....

Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |