Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2002, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Digi002 died?!?! Please help!

Car blocks?? The manual said NOTHING about not using them as car blocks. Cripes man they could at least be specific.

Hey citi, what would I need to buy and what would it cost to put together a used Mix system you reckon? Just thinking ahead. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

E

Eric
Old 10-08-2002, 10:18 PM

Hey fellow PTLE'ers don't feel bad. I got the 002 for my Mac and it too is DEAD! It ran great the FIRST day I got it.......That was 10 days ago... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
I feel like I just bought a $2000.00 paper weight
Old 10-09-2002, 12:41 AM

I wonder if those with "bad" 002's could report which Firewire cards they have installed in their PC?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-09-2002, 12:44 AM

I wonder why DIGI hasnt chimed in on the issue..

This seems to consistent to be a fluke.

If im not mistaken, it seems that almost everyone on here that has bought an 002 has had problems..

Phil O'Keefe? How is yours running?
Old 10-09-2002, 02:53 AM

Mine's running great - sorry to hear about everyone else who is having problems.

Mine is from the very first "batch", and I also bought it from Sweetwater.

Oh, I've had a few issues. I was doing fine with a Adaptec 4300 Firewire card at 44.1/48 KHz, but couldn't record a SINGLE TRACK at 88.2 / 96 KHz. I kept getting lots of 6098 (and other) DAE errors after only a second or two of recording. A call to Digidesign suggested checking with a specific guy at AES (whom I was never able to locate at the Digidesign booth), and possibly trying the Swann Firewire card instead since they supposedly have a VIA chipset which might work better with Asus VIA equipped mobos - they had no record or info on any of the DAE error numbers I was getting. No one locally carries the Swann, so I tried swapping PCI card slots with my Adaptec firewire card. Lo and behold, it started working with the firewire card on the same IRQ as the video card! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I didn't like the thought of that, so I swapped it back to the original location (with everything on their own / unshared IRQ) and it's been working fine ever since at any sample rate it supports. No logic to it, but I'm not complaining either.

I also had a few weird issues when I first did the fader firmware update. Things got VERY squirrelly right away... even after rebooting everything. I was getting strange charecters on the strips, failures of the PT software to recognise / detect the Digi 002 hardware, etc. I even went so far as to re-install the OLD firmware back in (I never delete ANYTHING until I've made sure the old version is really not going to be needed) so I could deal with a fast approaching session. Afterwards I tried it again with the new firmware, and it's been fine ever since.

Now that my system is working fine and AES is over with, I'm continuing to work on my review.

My suggestions would be to make sure your firewire card (if any) is properly seated... maybe try a different slot. Disable USB if you have it and don't need it - disable it anyway for test purposes and see if that helps. Disable ANY network stuff until you're sure it's not a problem. Try reloading the OLD firmware and then reloading the NEW firmware and see if that helps (I still have the old file for WIN XP if anyone wants to try this - I won't be responsible if your Digi 002 sprouts flames though... use at your own risk).

Call Digidesign with all the info, post if you're having a problem, etc. If they get several reports, then they'll know (as will everyone else) that it's a consistent problem and not just a one or two item fluke.

You folks have me a little nervous now. Knock on wood, I hope mine keeps working fine.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:08 AM

Hey Phil, I'm on a Mac and Macs have two firewire inputs built in. And even after the firmware update my002 still had L.C.D.'s lighting up everywhere on the scribble pad. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2002, 04:45 AM

Gorilla, try booting the Mac with the Digi 002 off... then fire up PT (with it off) then fire up the 002 when you get the error message.

Make sure your firewire cables are firmly seated iat both ends.

If that doesn't work, try the same thing with the Digi 002 on when you boot the Mac. If that doesn't work, try booting the Mac, turning on the 002 and then launching PT.

What cleared the scribble strip "hash" for me was reinstalling the ORIGINAL firmware... I don't recall the proceedure for the Mac, but on the PC, you replace a single file and then launch PT - and it gives you an upgrade / download firmware upgrade dialog box. I kept my old file "just in case" and when I started getting errors after the new one was d/l to the Digi 002, I decided to try reinstalling the old one. It worked, and then on the second try with the new one, IT worked.

Again, sorry you're having problems.

Hello, Digidesign?

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe:
...so I tried swapping PCI card slots with my Adaptec firewire card. Lo and behold, it started working with the firewire card on the same IRQ as the video card! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I didn't like the thought of that, so I swapped it back to the original location (with everything on their own / unshared IRQ) and it's been working fine ever since...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">when i first set up my system with firewire back in the day, i bought a pinnacle systems card (still have it - TI chipset) and i had startup/shutdown problems until I:
1) put the card in the last slot (of my ga7dx)
2) disable rtc alarm under power mgmt in bios (thanks to JPS for that)

the card (and devices) has worked perfectly ever since.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:07 AM

I have a SIIG firewire card and the one in my VAIO laptop. I don't think this has much if anything to do with the system it runs on because mine would recreate the errors completely disconnected from everything.

Eric
Old 10-09-2002, 09:48 AM
Avid

Hi folks,

Thanks for continuing to provide info on this issue.

As of this morning we have done RA's for only 8 002's. As we get them back we will be looking at the returned units to see if there are common failures. I will post our results.

DigiCS