Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2014, 06:54 PM

Default Finally, switch or router for multiples artist units ? (and which one to get ?)

Hi,
So, what is better to use with those units, a switch or a router ?

My protools system/Mac isn't connected to the internet, do I need a router though ?

And which model to get ?

I've found this one so far:http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAF...=netgear+fs108

My other concern is that nearly every modern switch/routers have now a "green ethernet" feature : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy-Efficient_Ethernet,
and I don't know if some connection issues will occur with this technology and the artist series ?

Any thoughts ?
Thanks,
Ludo.
192 I/O |
Old 03-16-2014, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Finally, switch or router for multiples artist units ? (and which one to get ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudyman View Post
Hi,
So, what is better to use with those units, a switch or a router ?

My protools system/Mac isn't connected to the internet, do I need a router though ?

And which model to get ?

I've found this one so far:http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAF...=netgear+fs108

My other concern is that nearly every modern switch/routers have now a "green ethernet" feature : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy-Efficient_Ethernet,
and I don't know if some connection issues will occur with this technology and the artist series ?

Any thoughts ?
Thanks,
Ludo.
you only need a switch. the one you linked is fine
Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Finally, switch or router for multiples artist units ? (and which one to get ?)

Thanks robertg,

With this one: Netgear FS108 : "8 ports 10/100 auto speed-sensing UTP", can I use STP or other ethernet cables with it or only UTP ones ?

Once I have plugged everything, is there something special to configure on the mac or the surfaces ?
I've read something with DHCP and static IP address somewhere on the DUC.

Sorry, I'm not a network expert
192 I/O |
Old 03-16-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudyman View Post
Thanks robertg,

With this one: Netgear FS108 : "8 ports 10/100 auto speed-sensing UTP", can I use STP or other ethernet cables with it or only UTP ones ?

Once I have plugged everything, is there something special to configure on the mac or the surfaces ?
I've read something with DHCP and static IP address somewhere on the DUC.

Sorry, I'm not a network expert
i don't think it matters, you aren't pushing much data and I doubt you are operating near areas of huge EM interference, standard cables are fine
Old 03-25-2014, 05:22 PM

Alright, thanks !, but I'm still hesitant to buy a system with 2 mix+ Control+ transport.....

So far, two problems bother me:
-It seems that there's a problem with the power supply of these units (?)
and
-Connections issues with Eucon are widely common and updates for Mac are now limited to osx 10.8 / 10.9.

But I'm still on osx 10.6 and I can't really update my whole TDM system, which is stable, past 10.7 because of compatibility issues
between Mac osx/ TDM cards and Harpertown Mac.

Will I have to stay at Eucon 2.7.x forever ?

Ludo.
192 I/O |