Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2010, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Avid has a 20x40 booth at NAMM Jan 14 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonicBreed View Post
IZ TECH Customer support: Fantastic.
debatable. I have radar I tapes I'm trying to restore in a RADAR II and they aren't working. been emailing IZ and no response. Going to try again this week.

Quote:
Reliability: Solid (most of the time)
depends on what you consider "most of the time". We had two radar II's. But one of them has been gutted and used for spare parts to keep the other one working... everything fails, especially computer equipment. the radar is no different.

Quote:
Converters: The Nyquist converters on the Radars are far superior to the ones digi had put in their HD line. (granted the Radar is a 5 figure pricetag)
That's debatable too. I've done a side by side comparison. While they are slightly different sounding, one isn't any better/worse than the other. Calling one "far superior" than the other is absurd. Moving a mic one inch in any direction created a bigger change in sound than switching between the two!!!! Once you align the inputs and outputs of the radar and 192IO they sound very similar. It's hard to tell them apart actually. Any difference you might have heard is from calibration mismatching. The radar was probably louder.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 01-20-2010, 06:50 PM

Disappointing. A lot of anticipation over nothing. No new hardware. No significant improvement in software aside from Pt8(which still seems to be buggy for most). HD will have to come down quite a bit before I spend the money. It's cheaper and more powerful to buy an octo core MAC and a Fireface.

It's a shame because I really like the way ProTools works. Maybe if they opened it up for use with other interfaces, they would get more sales. Just shooting in the dark now.
1 x 1TB System Drive
1 x 320Gig Seagate HDD
1 x 500Gig Seagate HDD
UAD-2 Solo
Steinberg UR44
KRK RP5
Windows 10 Pro. 64 bit
Sonar Platinum
Cubase 8
Sony Acid Pro 7
Sampletank 2 XL
EZDrummer
Guitar Rig 5
ProTools 12.3

All legit software thank you very much.

Yes I have a low post count but only because I don't have a lot of problems with my gear.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Maybe if they opened it up for use with other interfaces, they would get more sales. Just shooting in the dark now.
I'm curious to see if mackie's recent "universal driver" venture will spread to other manufacturers. I would happily pay $300 to use Pro Tools with my TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:47 AM

I think we'll see new Native hardware from AVID this year if we see anything at all.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I think we'll see new Native hardware from AVID this year if we see anything at all.
+1

My thoughts too.