Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2008, 09:52 PM

Default MIDI suddenly not working in Pro Tools...

Hello!! I'm on Pro Tools 7.3.1cs6 with an MBox 2 Pro (firewire). MIDI at one point worked fine (I could record MIDI instrument tracks). However, one day I go to record some MIDI parts and Pro Tools no longer sees the MBox 2 Pro MIDI port. When I press a key on my MIDI-enabled Casio keyboard, I see the MIDI light flash on the MBox 2 Pro. However, I can no longer get the MIDI notes to record in Pro Tools. I've done some research, and MMERefresh.exe is running just fine as far as I can tell (the plug and play service is running too). Are there other dependencies I just don't know about? I've reinstalled Pro Tools 2 times since it stopped working and it's still not working. What else can I do? I'm tired of recording MIDI files elsewhere and then importing them into Pro Tools. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:44 AM

Default Re: MIDI suddenly not working in Pro Tools...

Quote:
However, one day I go to record some MIDI parts and Pro Tools no longer sees the MBox 2 Pro MIDI port.
When you say, "no longer sees", what exactly do you mean? Is the port not showing up in the MIDI input list on Instrument and/or MIDI tracks?

Some more details of how your session is setup and what you are trying to do might be helpful.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-30-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I've done some research, and MMERefresh.exe is running just fine as far as I can tell
How, exactly, did you verify that?

Shut down Pro Tools and run this: C:\Program Files\Digidesign\Drivers\MMERefresh.exe then try running Pro Tools again.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-30-2008, 11:48 AM

Hello!! Thanks for replying. I've been testing with just a fresh new session where I add a single Instrument track or a single MIDI track. The problem is that no MIDI key press activity is acknowledged/recorded/recordable in Pro Tools. Yes, the MIDI port is no longer on the MIDI input list on Instrument and/or MIDI tracks. It's gone. Prior to posting here I tried the MMERefresh.exe trick a number of times...I have closed Pro Tools, stopped MMERefresh.exe (in Services and/or Task Manager), and then run MMERefresh.exe manually. Then, I start Pro Tools again and still no MIDI port. It's frustrating because the MBox Pro 2 MIDI light is acknowledging the MIDI activity, but Pro Tools can't "see it." Thanks again for any pointers...
Old 05-01-2008, 10:21 AM

Besides showing up in the Midi Input Enable dialog (where it's now blank on my system...no MBox Pro 2 MIDI port listed), where else can you ensure that the drivers for it are installed, functional, etc.? I don't see the MBox Pro 2 MIDI port in device manager. Is that normal? It used to work, but I don't remember where I could see the drivers listed, etc. Also, is there a command line option for MMERefresh that will give me more info as to what it thinks is installed or something like that? Besides reinstalling, I've also tried installing/uninstalling the drivers with digidrivers.exe. Still not working...I've used regsvr32 on the digi*midi*.dlls I could find and the ones that seemed to be actual COM objects registered just fine.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:43 PM

Here's an update: I eventually enabled all XP services in frustration in msconfig and suddenly the MBox Pro 2 MIDI port showed up again in the MIDI Input Enable dialog. It works now!!! However, who knows what this will do to my audio recording capabilities which I've wasted many an hour getting to work properly. I'm surprised at how painful Pro Tools is in more ways than one. I might have to step through and stop services one by one to see which Microsoft services are actually relied upon for MBox Pro 2's MIDI port to work. If someone knows or has a .bat that net starts the required services for MIDI and Pro Tools, that would rule.

Thus, MMERefresh may only require Plug and Play to "run," but for MBox Pro 2's MIDI port to actually be recognized it needs more than just the Plug and Play service to be running. Thus, the dependency is misleading. Ideally, the Pro Tools software install would detect and tell you which services need to be running if they aren't. Other software installs do that so Pro Tools should too. I would think the programmers would know at this point what's needed and what's not. Put the check in the software!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!