Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2012, 07:32 PM

Default MC control or Transport?

the main draw for me is the lower price of the MCtransport- as I'm not convinced I will use soft keys over the keyboard short cuts..

but I do want a jog wheel.. altho more faders would be nice..

looking here..

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Arti...port/#Features

it says that the soft keys will apply to the app in focus..

I read in another thread that I can use the Transport soft keys to trigger EuCOntrol to switch layouts..

to me that would be superbanking.!

becos I wouldnt have to change all my existing projects to a new layout style..

I could just create a layout for the MC Mix. and jump between the groups I wanted - pretty quickly with out switching apps

( which wouldn't disrupt my years in development work flow design- literally done with eyes closed due to muscle memory and a screen mapped wacom.. )

or do I just pony up the $$ and get the mcControl?

thanks!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 PM

Default Re: MC control or Transport?

Hey,
I would get them both! I just purchased 3 MC Mix, MC Control V1, and a MC Transport. I bought all mine used except for one of the MC Mix's was a "Euphonix" MC Mix new old stock at Guitar Center and I love them. The learning curve isn't bad either. However, the capabilities of theses pieces and Eucon software seems almost limitless. I did my first session last night about completely "mouseless". Actually, the one MC Mix that I purchased was from Guitar Center over two years ago was from a return I did when I realized they only worked in HUI mode with Pro Tools.

Go for it, you won't regret it!
Mac Pro Early 2009 3.06 Six Core 48gb ram, Pro Tools 10.3.10, HD6 Accel, Pro Tools 2021, Macbook Pro, Magma PE6R4i, Yamaha DM2000 Console, Logic 9 and 10, Apogee Big Ben, 10pcs HD 192's, Benchmark DAC-1, Distressors, API, Neve, Rupert Neve, Dangerous, Lynx, Manley ELOP+, Massive Passive, VariMu, Neumann, Peluso, A-Designs Hammer 2 & Nail, Empirical Labs, Drawmer, Lexicon U87, Bricasti M7, dbx, Cranesong, SSL 500 G-Bus, Custom Audio Germany, Dynaudio, Focal, Yamaha, TC Electronic, Mapex Drums, SPL
Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 PM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe

I have 2 mix, a transport and a control. I barely use the control in my setup (I bought it because I had it used with another mix for a very good deal)... The mix has a better wheel and because of my setup the control keys are a bit far to reach to the right (3 mixes must be crazy large).

I'm sure the control is a fine unit, but the plugin parameters show up fine across 2 mixes.

I have them in that order from left to right:
Mix1-Mix2-Transport-Control
I'm not so sure how I could rearrange that to make the control more useful unless I removed the transport.

My advice: Do not get both as one can easily perform do what the other does.

In my opinion more mix and a transport is an ideal setup for the size and cheaper (and I like having the track name above the faders - on the control they are on the touchscreen).
Old 08-24-2012, 06:56 AM

Ya, ergonomically the Transport is better in my opinion. You get a ton of soft keys as you can use the number pad and transport buttons. And as Xill mentioned, the fact that the faders on the Control don't have the knobs and scribble strips above, plus the lame transport, just didn't appeal to me. Too much redundancy between both to make it worthwhile. I've got one Mix and a Transport and I love it.

JR
Old 08-24-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xill View Post
I have 2 mix, a transport and a control. I barely use the control in my setup (I bought it because I had it used with another mix for a very good deal)... The mix has a better wheel and because of my setup the control keys are a bit far to reach to the right (3 mixes must be crazy large).

I'm sure the control is a fine unit, but the plugin parameters show up fine across 2 mixes.

I have them in that order from left to right:
Mix1-Mix2-Transport-Control
I'm not so sure how I could rearrange that to make the control more useful unless I removed the transport.

My advice: Do not get both as one can easily perform do what the other does.

In my opinion more mix and a transport is an ideal setup for the size and cheaper (and I like having the track name above the faders - on the control they are on the touchscreen).
I agree to a large extent. Mixing mainly in PT the last couple of years I never used the Control - then last spring I needed to do Final Cut Pro X-projects and all of a sudden it was a very nice addition to have...
Almost every one I've seen over the last years mixing on these units have them setup differently and that is one of the beauties of it - the flexebility. Since I almost exclusively work with small sessions with fewer then 36 tracks I set them up the other way around - Digi002/Control/Transport/Mix1/Mix2/Mix3, which means that I normally don't have to do any banking at all... The banking set to independently on the Control, means I can double the 4 most needed tracks right in the middle... AND - when the Digi002 won't be supported no more I can put an extra Mix in it's place and very little will change in my setup. "Change is NEVER good" as Dr. Sheldon Cooper say's...
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 08-24-2012, 08:34 PM

I have 3 Mixes and a Transport.

Couldn't quite see what the Control brings to the party. But then I'm not trying to avoid the computer, just supplement it with faders etc.

But YMMV !
Old 08-26-2012, 10:05 PM

I ended up with mix and transport and am happy. Still learning how to best use them, but they already save me time.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:50 AM

Yes, in PT and Logic that really speeds up your workflow, although I would say that Transport+Mix1+Mix2 is the Basic Combo, since most plugins need more then 8 faders to be layed out over the board - borrow a second unit and try it out Tom? Myself I didn't become aware of the difference until I had my second unit of Mix... (The third and the Control, didn't make me work any faster, they where more of MUST have and I got a good price... hahaha)
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix