Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 05-05-2011, 08:42 AM

Default How to control Virtual Instruments via external Midi-Keyboard?

Hi Everyone,

I just got my new Protools 9 (m-powered) Version and want to do some composing with virtual instruments.
I run my system combined with a M-Audio ProjectMix I/O Controller and I linked this with a external keyboard via midi port.

When I create a new Instrument track and put a Virtual instrument in, I can't play the notes with my MIDI Keyboard, so I probably have to change some settings there, but I havn't any clue whats the problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 AM

Default Re: How to control Virtual Instruments via external Midi-Keyboard?

Are you on a Mac or PC?
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:17 AM

PC! Sorry, forgot to tell...
Old 05-06-2011, 01:04 AM

A suggestion: in the Setup menu, go to MIDI > Input Devices and make sure the ProjectMix inputs are enabled. Given that your keyboard's MIDI OUT is plugged straight into ProjectMix MIDI IN.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:23 AM

There are a few things you need to do to be sure your midi controller is recognized by PT and properly communicating with it. If you have not done so, you will need to set up your controller in the MIDI studio option in PT. If you do not know how to do this, the manual spells it out pretty well in the MIDI chapter, so I would encourage you to reference that.

Once you have set up your controller correctly in the PT MIDI studio, then you should be good to go. On a PC there is one VERY IMPORTANT thing to remember, you MUST have your keyboard turned on and the connection recognized by your PC BEFORE you boot up PT. If you boot up PT and then turn on the controller, PT will NOT properly "see" you controller, and you'll be pulling out your hair wondering what's going on. (I learned that from a bald guy - )

Also, you may need to record arm the instrument track in order for it to pick up the controller info. If you've done all that, you should be good to go.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:36 AM

So, first of all, thanks very much for your support guys... It's good to see, people helping here

Somehow, I got It almost work now, but only with some weird kind of error.

When I load a RTAS Instrument into an instrument track, for example the Grand Piano Plugin, I can control it now, over my MIDI Keyboard and play the Piano Keys, BUT unfortunately the kinda "hang" as I would press a sustain pedal, although I just hit them shortly and also they sometimes come delayed and somethimes they don't react anyway.
So, there is definetely a connection, the settings seem to be right, but does any of you know about MIDI Problems like that?