Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-13-2010, 02:29 PM

Default Using Virtual Instruments without Midi Keyboard

I have this old Casio Keyboard with a Midi in and Midi out slots but no cord to connect it to my Mbox 2 Mini or to my computer. So...

While I wait to purchase a new keyboard, is there anyway to use these Virtual instruments with my mouse or computer keyboard?

and is there anyway to connect old keyboards such as my to a computer? I've been looking at this, do you think it'll work?
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Converte...pr_product_top
Old 09-13-2010, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Using Virtual Instruments without Midi Keyboard

Virtual instruments can be used without a keyboard. You would just need to enter the notes manually. (meaning, you won't actually be able to play them)

You can connect your old keyboard as well. I would probably not recommend the MIDI interface you linked, though it might work. I would trust and recommend the M-Audio Uno a lot more. You can get it for about $40 new.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-13-2010, 03:04 PM

Would I be better off spending $100 and just getting a new Midi keyboard that connects with USB, rather than getting a cord for $40?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:08 PM

It depends; which $100 keyboard?

Most likely, the answer will be "yes".

Some of the older keyboards, especially the "consumer grade" Casio and Yamaha models are overly complicated with regards to getting MIDI working properly, and you will be much better off with a newer keyboard, especially one that connects via USB.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-31-2023, 03:16 PM

I believe this cable will work.
I also recommend that you take a look at some midi controller keyboards that are relatively inexpensive and good for working with virtual instruments.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:18 PM

Another option is to get a USB-MIDI interface. I have had great success with a MOTU Fastlane USB for over 10 years The one I have has dual ports(A and B) for both directions so it allows for 2 keyboard controllers(or 1 and a drum e-kit module like the old Roland TD-7/8/10 boxes)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-17-2024, 10:55 AM

I have a Korg SP-250 MIDI keyboard. It's worked well for many years. However, I can't get the keyboard to function like a true MIDI keyboard. I really don't want to buy a new keyboard, given that this one has worked for many year. Can someone please provide me the necessary information needed to get this keyboard work as a true "MIDI Keyboard"?

I've done this several times over the years, but I can't get it working this go-around. I was out of commission for a few months recently, due to an illness, so I'm having a tough time getting everything back in order.

I will be very grateful for any help you can provide!
FYI - I've been using ProTools since for about 20 years.
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 32GB
Internal Hard Drives:
500GB= Programs
1TBGB= Audio
1tbGB= Samples/Back Up
External Hard Drives: Verbatim 1TB USB Drive
RME Fireface UFX Interface/Preamps
Pro Tools 2023
Focal CMS 65 Monitors
Avantones
Old 02-17-2024, 11:13 AM

Here you are again spamming onto other unrelated threads.

Nobody here likely had any clue what you mean by things like "true MIDI keyboard". As pointed out before you should describe what you are doing and what exactly is not working as expected. And I have given you a list of common midi related problem causes before, did you try any of them? People cannot help you if they have no clue what is going on, and DUC is not the place to get an entire tutorial on how to setup MIDI keyboards (and presumably VIs? But it's unclear if you are using VIs or outboard MIDI playback devices because you give almost no useful details). And with so much past experience you should be able to describe what you are doing and what is not working.

I have pointed you at how to create a new thread before, please stop spreading these stupid information lacking posts all over DUC and get focused on your problem in your own clear thread.

Maybe a moderator can move these posts to your their own thread.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-17-2024 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-24-2024, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyc View Post
I have a Korg SP-250 MIDI keyboard. It's worked well for many years. However, I can't get the keyboard to function like a true MIDI keyboard. I really don't want to buy a new keyboard, given that this one has worked for many year. Can someone please provide me the necessary information needed to get this keyboard work as a true "MIDI Keyboard"?

I've done this several times over the years, but I can't get it working this go-around. I was out of commission for a few months recently, due to an illness, so I'm having a tough time getting everything back in order.

I will be very grateful for any help you can provide!
FYI - I've been using ProTools since for about 20 years.
On Windows, if its not configured properly under the Setup>Midi>Midi Studio menu, its not going to function properly(or at all). I can't speak for Macs on this.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave