Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 07-31-2009, 09:54 AM

Default Pro Tools in VM?

I know that protools is a very finicky program and needs certain things to function properly. I was reading the debate about Pro Tools running on 64 bit systems. I have a desktop that has a 64 bit quad core with just over 8 GBs or ram that am planning on doubling soon. I am running Windows 7 RC and Fedora 11 as a dual boot. I was wondering if a possible solution for running pro tools on my system would be a Virtual Machine. Is this even possible? I wasn't sure if the VM would be able to recognize the MBox Mini that I have if it was running on a 32bit XP VM. If anyone has successfully tried this, I would be greatful.

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools in VM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0ck3y View Post
I was wondering if a possible solution for running pro tools on my system would be a Virtual Machine. Is this even possible?
Not in my experience.
Quote:
I wasn't sure if the VM would be able to recognize the MBox Mini that I have if it was running on a 32bit XP VM.
That is exactly the problem; it doesn't recognize the hardware properly.
Quote:
If anyone has successfully tried this
I tried; unsuccessfully.

But hey; things change. If you've got time to burn, and hair to pull out, why not try?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-09-2010, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools in VM? Yes it's possible! :)

Actually that's not true . Currently I am running Windows 7 64-Bit and had ran into the same 64-Bit issue which I was unaware of. Using my head I immediately thought of running a virtual machine with the windows xp platform since I had had no issue's with pro tools on this operating system. I installed pro tools le 8 perfectly fine and my system has only 4GB of ram. I allocated a little over half to give most of the ram to the virtual machine ONLY when I use it so it works out great for me. I allocated 50 GB of space for use with other audio software and plugin's so I can keep them in one place. If you need help I could assist you in the installation process. I insist this works and I can post pictures to prove it :) I definately cant live without my pro tools when it comes to my music. They really need to get a grip on the 64-Bit architecture. Anyways I just wanted to throw my two cents in. Hope it helps you.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:06 PM

Hey Demize...

Ive been wondering about this for a while too... I have some plug ins that are not Win7 friendly, so currently I am running a dual-boot setup... win7 64 and winXP.

Using VM, do you run into any issues installing or using any plug ins? Do you notice a hit in performance as compared to running in a native WinXP setup?
Old 12-30-2014, 09:03 AM

Hello Demize,

My computer is a MAC book pro retina, and I'm running MAC OS X 10.9.5, unfortunately I bought Mbox 3 that came with Protools LE 8.0.4, I have been looking for help in order to install a windows XP virtual machine and that way try to run protools without having to upgrade to PT 11 and pay 200 bucks, could you please provide some assistance on how did you make it work??
Old 12-30-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migsosba View Post
Hello Demize,

My computer is a MAC book pro retina, and I'm running MAC OS X 10.9.5, unfortunately I bought Mbox 3 that came with Protools LE 8.0.4, I have been looking for help in order to install a windows XP virtual machine and that way try to run protools without having to upgrade to PT 11 and pay 200 bucks, could you please provide some assistance on how did you make it work??
You really don't know very much about DAWs, do you?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-30-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Hello Demize,

NO VMs

Bootcamp for adding Window OS to a Mac, but save you self the headache of XP and do the $199 upgrade to 11 before the new year

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-30-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Do as you please but trying a massive workaround like running XP as a VM on OSX is more than likely going to end up being problematic in the long run and totally not worth your time and effort. Just bite the bullet, upgrade, and run a known working and supported configuration.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demize View Post
Actually that's not true . Currently I am running Windows 7 64-Bit and had ran into the same 64-Bit issue which I was unaware of. Using my head I immediately thought of running a virtual machine with the windows xp platform since I had had no issue's with pro tools on this operating system. I installed pro tools le 8 perfectly fine and my system has only 4GB of ram. I allocated a little over half to give most of the ram to the virtual machine ONLY when I use it so it works out great for me. I allocated 50 GB of space for use with other audio software and plugin's so I can keep them in one place. If you need help I could assist you in the installation process. I insist this works and I can post pictures to prove it :) I definately cant live without my pro tools when it comes to my music. They really need to get a grip on the 64-Bit architecture. Anyways I just wanted to throw my two cents in. Hope it helps you.
Hi Demize,

I have win 7 64 bit and PT 10 and 12 installed on it but before I've worked for 6 years in PTLE7 on win xp, I've mixed several albums and sounding fine. Loading in those sessions into PT 10 or 12 the result is a mess, several plugins missing, wrong versions etc.
So... I had the option of xp mode installed on my win7 machine when I bought it hoping to load my old sessions in PT le and figure out those mixes,I just installed PTle73( my latest version before crossgrading to pt10)and all got installed succesfully but when I try to run PT the vm crashes everytime and restarts. I can't find the problem. ilok and mbox2 are attached and working.
i HAVE 32gb of ram and use almost 4 for the VM, double what I had in my xp computer. Am I something missing?
My last idea is to update the latest drivers for the mbox2 that i use for PTLE but I doubt it will help. I installed reason and when I choose the digi audio driver it stops working as soon as i press play in a session then I have to chose a different driver.
Any advice?

How did you allocate the 50GB of space? You made an extra virtual HD?
My vm has one Hd with it,max size is that of the physical internal, plus I can also access all the physical drives, internal in win7 and external.

ANy input greatly appreciated!

Edit: I had the task mngr open while starting up PT. which showed that the cpu overloads during PT startup which is why PT quits. My computer processor speed is 2.60Ghz and is a quad core. The vm seems to be using only one core.

Last edited by June Moris; 01-25-2016 at 09:37 AM. Reason: new info
Old 01-19-2016, 05:27 PM

Here we go again. A real-time DAW like Pro Tools has near zero chance of being usable in a VM. Including the Windows XP compatibility VM. Get a windows install disk and do a clean install of whatever old Windows OS you need on a new disk partition or new hard drive and dual-boot between OSes as needed. Alternately sort out what technical issues you are having with Pro Tools, it could be as simple as plugin compatibility.

And even if somebody can start up a session in a VM they probably cannot run much load, stop wasting your time and do this properly.

And in this case the device your driver is trying to talk to is not virtualized in the VM so it will not work, just as expected.