Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-13-2020, 07:15 PM

Default Using EasuUS to recover deleted files

I posted this in Dave's (Albee) thread about recovering his lost files, but it may have gotten lost in the many comments. But, I do need some advice on this, so I'll repost in this separate thread.

So is EaseUS a good option to recover lost files? I recently deleted some files by accident and didn't realize I had done so until AFTER I had also emptied the trash bin. I was deleting a bunch of old sessions I didn't need anymore for any reason but didn't realize that these other sessions were all in a subfolder of the one I deleted. I had thought this folder was separate. And no, its not on my backup, because I never backup the folder I wanted to delete because, well, I wasn't planning on keeping it anyway! So, just today I was looking at EaseUS just today. I downloaded the trial version to see if it could locate my missing sessions, and it appears it does. So, before I buy, my question is, once I tell EaseUS to recover the files, I have to put them on a different drive. But, once that's done, I will want to bring them all back to my regular PT Session Drive. How do I best do that? I don't want to open sessions and constantly be dealing with having to relink audio or can't find audio and all that rot. If I remember right, its about 11-12 gigs or so I need to recover. Best way to transfer the recovered files back to my session drive? Thanks.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Using EasuUS to recover deleted files

Anyone? Would appreciate a little advice on this. Thanks

Old 02-15-2020, 08:58 AM

A lot of times when the files are recovered, file names and other data on the file may be lost. Its rare that you will ever be able to just recover the files, drop them in a folder and have them link back up. It has been very hit and miss over the years from my experience. There is no magic or perfect way to do it. Its just an ugly process period. But just create an Audio Files folder in the same location as it was previously and drop the files in it, say a prayer, and launch the session.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-15-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
A lot of times when the files are recovered, file names and other data on the file may be lost. Its rare that you will ever be able to just recover the files, drop them in a folder and have them link back up. It has been very hit and miss over the years from my experience. There is no magic or perfect way to do it. Its just an ugly process period. But just create an Audio Files folder in the same location as it was previously and drop the files in it, say a prayer, and launch the session.
I must agree^^^^ For me, paying for 1 month was worth it as I got back 98% of 1 project(12 songs) but I only recovered 2 of the other 12-song project. On the stuff that did get recovered, I just needed to drop in some bits of audio from the raw data I had on another drive. Sadly, while the other sessions APPEARED to be recovered, 10 of 12 would not open and also would not allow me to import into a new session.

As for the method, yes, you would recover to another drive and once recovered, you can do anything...BUT...what I would do is this:
1-Once recovery is completed, try to open the sessions from their new location.
2-Once a session opens and runs, go to File>Save Copy(check the box for Audio Files) and save this copy back to where you want the session(s) to live. Then I would open each copy to verify that all is good(and do check disk allocation to make sure its NOT referencing from the recovered location). Then I would move the recovered sessions(from where EaseUS put them) to an archive drive(as a backup).

Good luck!!!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-15-2020, 12:26 PM

Thanks, guys. That's kinds what I thought would be the case. Its my own fault for not paying attention to what I was deleting and where. None of the sessions are "mission critical"...but would be nice to have back if only because I spent so much time making them!