Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2010, 05:25 AM

Default SSD question

Hi all

I wonder if someone can give me some info on this question? Would having an SSD system drive ( with PT) on it, and retaining SATA 300 audio drives help the performance of PT. I'm using 8.0.3 at the moment at a 64 buffer setting and it's fairly stable.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-31-2010, 06:51 AM

Default Re: SSD question

Wish I had an answer? Many of us are waiting and wanting ssd's but the price of the good performing drives is still pretty high. I am believing this will be the year when many of us are going to be able to get into them. I know the lower end ssd have been plagued w issues and sata drives can out perform them so not worth going w cheap ones.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-31-2010, 06:51 AM

I doubt you would notice any performance change. The audio drive is what really governs recording performance.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-31-2010, 07:09 AM

As an AUDIO drive, you'll see LOTS of performance gain. Your programs, VI data, Audio will load super fast and be able to handle more tracks w/o a problem. I use a measly 16GB SSD on my laptop, and this drive can handle AUDIO and Sample Based VIs without a problem. I'm talking heavy track counts and high polyphony as well.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 AM

Looks as though the audio drive is the one to replace from what I'm reading. I imagine to get best performance both would be the choice.
I've just been looking at prices and they are still high in UK. (My experience of buying cheap items warns me off going in at the low end ... even they aren't cheap)
Thanks for your responses ... I think I'll take another look when the i9 chips appear.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epu View Post
As an AUDIO drive, you'll see LOTS of performance gain. Your programs, VI data, Audio will load super fast and be able to handle more tracks w/o a problem. I use a measly 16GB SSD on my laptop, and this drive can handle AUDIO and Sample Based VIs without a problem. I'm talking heavy track counts and high polyphony as well.

very interesting
Old 01-31-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattytoldhatty View Post
Looks as though the audio drive is the one to replace from what I'm reading. I imagine to get best performance both would be the choice.
I've just been looking at prices and they are still high in UK. (My experience of buying cheap items warns me off going in at the low end ... even they aren't cheap)
Thanks for your responses ... I think I'll take another look when the i9 chips appear.
yes but eliminating boot time with an ssd on the os is a HUGE plus for me also!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-31-2010, 01:27 PM

On my measly Lenovo X200 Tablet Laptop with a 1.86 GHz Dual Core Processor, I am able to run no less than 32 tracks with roughly 20 VIs (in this example, I'm using two instances of NI Kontakt 3.5 with 10 Channels each, and multiple instances of XPand2, Hybrid, DB33, and Arturia Analog Factory - All CPU Heavy, R/W HDD Heavy Plugs) without a single hiccup.

The only errors I get is if I overdo it w/the Reverbs and Convoloutions, which are pretty easy to do in a Kontakt. The error I then get is the typical 9128, but you can CLEARLY see it is because the CPU meter goes into the red. This means that SSD performance is stellar. My Laptop by the way is only 12", I'm using the Internal 7200 System Drive and a 16GB EXPRESS CARD SSD (SSD which fits into the Express Card Slot) from MTRON (MOBI 3000).

The SSD was the best investment I ever made for my mobile rig. Sessions load in SECONDS.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 01-31-2010, 01:30 PM

eh, just save up and get two SSD's - one for the OS and audio!

Imagine THAT!

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:34 PM

I purchased my Express Card SSD off of eBay. This particular brand is VERY difficult to find in the states. I lucked out and got it for $100, but easily see them fetching twice or three times that from stores like DV Nation.

The SSD market is finicky because you have to pay close attention to many variables, mainly MLC vs SLC, read/write times (they vary). $/MB is still pretty high, but if you have enough SATA HDDs, and want a taste, you can run out an buy a 16GB or 32GB Drive and copy your sessions elsewhere for storage when you finish working.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core