Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2004, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

neonpool,
I enjoyed that...wanted to hear it keep going. I like your voice...post more when you can.
-Roy
Old 03-04-2004, 09:56 PM

Cool song, Kev...your wife did a great job on the vocals. I like the energy on this. Did you play the guitars?
-Roy
Old 03-05-2004, 05:10 AM

graveleye, I sent you an email. To paraphrase, I think "overboard" is great. I love that overdriven reggae vibe. Another poster said the vox could come up, and I don't disagree, but there's a vibe to that balance, where the vox are on the verge of being overwhelmed by the music that can be used to your advantage. I don't know what I'd do exactly, just thinking out loud. Hmmm....

Anyway, "baby's got a niche" was also a good tune. It really captures the old blues sound, has a very lo-fi vibe to it. Strictly my 2 cents, I didn't think that reverb thing towards the end helped the song, I thought the song was strong enough and it was disorienting. Again, just my subjective opinion, ymmmv. Very cool song.

bp
Old 03-05-2004, 09:05 AM

Hey thanks guys. I am still going to post a better mp3 of that because for some reason the sound changed pretty drastically when I converted it to mp3, even listening to it on my studio monitors. On disc it sounds pretty decent on almost everything I have played it on even in its unfinished state. Oh well.. another reason to not like mp3s.
I rather wanted to bring the vocals up a bit too, but Shannon vetoed it. lol.. she da prodoosah !

Seriously, her vocals are a challenge to record.

Yup Roy, thats my crappy guitarin!! i suck, my amp sucks, but i try hard
About halfway through the recording I remembered I have Amplitube... erk .. too late and I was too lazy to rerecord them. Maybe later.
She played bass too... a fretless even.

Old 03-05-2004, 10:39 AM

Hey, thanks guys!

The minimalist thing isn't really intentional, I just add parts until I like it,
and a lot of times it ends up being a bit sparse. Probably also has something to
do with being a solo man-and-his-acoustic performer.

I'll post more as I feel they are "ready for mass consumption." Which of course
as all artists know, they hardly ever are, but you at least gotta get close.

Btw, graveleye, I heard some Cranberries meets PJ Harvey in there... nice! I do agree
with the consensus though, the vocals need more presence in the mix. Ah well, the producer rules all.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Anyway, "baby's got a niche" was also a good tune. It really captures the old blues sound, has a very lo-fi vibe to it. Strictly my 2 cents, I didn't think that reverb thing towards the end helped the song, I thought the song was strong enough and it was disorienting. Again, just my subjective opinion, ymmmv. Very cool song.
Badperson,

To be honest, I kinda agree with you. When I was first recording it I made a few mistakes on the bridge and so, just to get a demo out for a couple friends, I masked them out with the delay and 'verb... I hated how it sounded, but everyone I played it for told me how much they liked that part, so I made the lazy (sellout?) move and just kept it. It has since grown on me a bit, but still... <sigh> what do you do?

Old 03-05-2004, 08:34 PM

Hylse,
I really like your song.....nice production...I like the variety of sounds you used , love the low guitars. What is the 'marimba' type sound in the softer parts? Really nice overall...
-Roy
Old 03-05-2004, 11:57 PM

I just finished some violin work with a poet named Stefano Resta. I didn't record it myself, but I played on several of the 9 tracks recorded at the View Studios in Belmont, CA. I'll post as soon as I have the CD(at some point tomorrow).
Old 03-06-2004, 10:16 AM

I really don´t remember what the sound was called, but you can find it in "Korg Triton".

Thanx for all nice replies!

/Hylse

www.petumbrella.net
Old 03-06-2004, 05:21 PM

FingerFlicker,
I enjoyed 'Weekend Warrior'...good job overall.
I just read about your drum programming questions and some of the answers. I used to have an SR16 too, and liked some of the sounds (though my favorite snare had verb built in...couldn't be edited it out...know the one I mean?).
I know it can be confusing between samplers, Soundreplacer, the sounds themselves...but here's my suggestion as a simple option to try (using the midi route, which I recommend).
If Reason(my first choice) is not an option right now, I would use the Sampletank free drums. You said you could get midi from the SR16 into PT. If you can see the midi notes you played in the PT Edit Window, you can assign them to the drums in Sampletank.
If you decide to try this, I would get Sampletank set up first, and then post back with any questions on assigning sounds. I don't want to expound too much unless you decide to go this route.
Regardless, good song...good luck...
~Roy