Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2019, 08:31 AM

Default Re: A PCU test: PT Vs Reaper with pretty incredible result

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
First off you probably put it here. In your initial post you make no mention of what PT version you're running. You also don't include any system information and the very limited amount you do have in your profile only shows you're running OSX 10.13.6. What are your computer specs? What exact Mac are you running? There's a lot of things that can influence performance.
I must have put it here by mistake...this is really not the place.

About my specs: I'm on MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) 2,9 GHz Intel Core i9, 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4.

Being a new user I am running 2018.12.

You are right I did not give specs, but it is also true that I was talking about relative power. Maybe because I'm ignorant in computer, this fact in my mind makes less important to know the computer as the main point is that PT is performing 20% of what reaper does. In my mind that wouldn't change according to the computer but as I said, I might be completely wrong.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:39 PM

Inspired by my recent horrible experience with Avid CS I started asking myself why I am even using Pro Tools HD? I know the answer - mostly due to great automation features, import session data. I started learning Reaper and it turns out to be fantastic and it has all those features, and more! I am now seriously considering ditching HD / HDX platform for some high end Thunderbolt solutions and Reaper, because the workflow is amazing in this software. It also appears to be more stable and reliable than PT. Automation wise Latch Preview works actually better than Preview mode in Pro Tools HD. Importing session data looks also better with SWS Snapshots. Some things are different, but Kenny Gioia does wonderful tutorial videos as an expert on both platforms, making the transition smoother. Check his Reaper Mania channel on YouTube.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 02-10-2019, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestion...but I'm coming from few months in reaper which just drove me nuts.

Still considering is a very subjective matter, Reaper has got for me has some sort of problem which are impossible to deal with.

Kenny Gioa's video just gives you an overview (like any other tutorial) because they show manual situation...then the reality overpass it and problems gets in.

A couple of random example: cannot select more than a warp at a time.
The comping is pretty much not existent, as you have to cut. Also, has got a limited space on screen.
All the groove function works very bad.
They announced Ara a year and half ago and is not there yet.
There is not window setting recall (there is a wonderful mixer recall though)
There is no way to have the playback cursor not being on screen when starting playing (making large editing a pain in the ass).

As somebody coming from pro tools you will be able to set it pretty much similarly in terms of shortcut....it will take you long time to do it.

I found it a disaster...but some people swear on it and find it easy to learn. Not by chance anyway, a great deal of users are software programmers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miul68 View Post
The comping is pretty much not existent, as you have to cut. Also, has got a limited space on screen.
All the groove function works very bad.
There is not window setting recall (there is a wonderful mixer recall though)
There is no way to have the playback cursor not being on screen when starting playing (making large editing a pain in the ass).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The above features are, and they work great, in Reaper.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Old 02-11-2019, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko View Post
The above features are, and they work great, in Reaper.
That is your opinion, mine is different (although you stated it like mine was a certain mistake).

In my opinion for instance pro tools and reaper has got the worst comping function out of all daws I know. One more time, it is just my point of view, as I've discovered that some people likes to press more keys rather than achieving the same thing with only 1 action.

In regards of the playback you probably didn't understand what I was talking about ...just because, at the state, is impossible to have a different behaviour unless you make a script.

Last edited by miul68; 02-11-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:50 PM

I tried Reaper about a year ago amongst others and I thought it was crap, I know there is a strong following but compared to PT it was nasty
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 02-22-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
I tried Reaper about a year ago amongst others and I thought it was crap, I know there is a strong following but compared to PT it was nasty
I don't know about that but Reaper just got ARA integration today
Old 02-22-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
This and all other shortcomings are easily explained by the fact, that the coding staff Avid has pointed to work on Pro Tools consists of a donkey and a chimp training that donkey. This is why there is little to no progress.

Mystery solved.

D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:47 PM

Things that led me to make the move:

Render queue: I make several mix prints each day. Sometimes it can be over 20 bounces within one day. I use analogue outboard so only online is an option. Reaper allows me to program a render queue. I don't have to watch it, I don't need to name the files at each bounce. It saves me 2 hours on a more busy day.

Actions: Reaper has "actions" window. You can easily find features there using search filter. You can program your own actions.

Automation: I'm an automation junkie. I love writing it on the fly using touch mode. I love using "snapshot" automation using preview mode. The way it's done in Reaper is much more effective. I'm just quicker.

Folder based routing:A Folder acts as an audio subgroup. One mouse drag and it's done.

Inserting plugins on objects.

"Under mouse cursor" key commands. They allow you to program keys to perform actions on tracks or items that are under the mouse cursors. No mouse clicking. Hover the mouse over an item and press a key to split it. Hover a mouse over a track anywhere (mixer, arrange) and use two keys to do +-1dB volume nudge. These two are my favourite.

Editing: It's much faster to edit audio in Reaper. You can automate many repeatable actions. You can trim or fade hundreds of audio clips at once.

-----

I switched after 15 years of using Pro Tools HD on a daily basis. I'm quicker, I earn more money and I can give better customer experience for my clients in Reaper.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,