Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-1999, 07:09 AM

Default Automation questions - Trim and Snapshots

Having read the bit in the manual about snapshop automation, I was wondering if there was a quicker way to "Store" the snapshot info and "fire" it with the click of button or something, sort of like how one does it on a Euphonix. Can you store the snap with a location? The method of alighting on an are of automation that you want to use and writing it on an area you want it in is fine, but to store this in a floating window or something would be handy.

Another automation question about trimming:

I'm used to the GML paradigm for trimming, i.e., being able to select faders and enter how far up or down I want them to trim (in stop mode, of course) then OK'ing it and it's done. Is the closest method in ProTools to doing this to select volume data in the Edit window and trim with the trim tool, or would you trim in real time and "write to all"?

I prefer to trim in stop mode, not during PB.
Old 12-26-1999, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Automation questions - Trim and Snapshots

I think you'll find the trimming in stop method very intuitive once you get used to iy
Old 12-27-1999, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Automation questions - Trim and Snapshots

Paonic, the answer to your second question is that all of your trimming techniques will work...sort of.

The easiest way to trim, in my opinion, is to do it "offline" on the volume graph. I haven't tried discontiguous selection in PT5 to see if you can do this to multiple areas at once, but it might work.

You can't enter volume offsets numerically in the Mix window (I don't think...it's never occurred to me to try), but you can move a fader - or set of grouped faders - and look at the level numbers. That works in real time or when stopped.