Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2016, 05:24 PM

Default able to copy track to track in Midi Editor?

I'm working on a song in a Pro Tools session, creating 4 part horn arrangement using 4 tracks of Session Horns Pro.

In Midi Editor window, as you can see in screenshot, I have the 4 midi horn tracks displayed and I'm fine tuning timing, velocity, voicing, etc.

Is there a way to copy notes from one track to another within the Midi Editor window? Like if I wanted to experiment with swapping voices, copy a riff the trumpet is playing (the red track) into alto sax part (the blue track).

The only way I know how to do it so far is to close the Midi Editor, copy and paste from track to track in the main Edit window, then re-open Midi Editor, re-open the 4 tracks, listen, repeat if necessary.

I hope I'm overlooking an obvious shortcut!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Midi Ed Copy question.jpg (51.7 KB, 0 views)
Pro Tools 12.8
Apogee Duet 2
Glyph Drives + Blackmagic dock with Samsung SSDs
Reason 10, Ivory II, BFD3, Finale
Plugins: Kush, Kontakt, Komplete Ultimate, Exponential Audio, Waves, Slate, Fab Filter, TDR, Pultec Bundle, Bomb Factory, UVI Workstation, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Massey, Valhalla, Aether, PhoenixVerb, etc...
also 17" MacBook Pro w Core i7, OSX 10.9.4

Last edited by Ticker; 10-04-2016 at 05:28 PM. Reason: forgot attachment!
Old 10-04-2016, 05:29 PM

Default Re: able to copy track to track in Midi Editor?

I don't know but did you try the track view selector on the left side of the editor? You can select the track you are editing as well. It's the little pencil after the track name. That should do it.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:00 PM

Hey Dave - thanks for the reply. OK, if I copy the riff I want, then deselect the other horn tracks - so only the destination track is left in the window - make sure to click pencil icon, place cursor in the track, paste - now it works!

I honestly was hoping for something like being able to select the notes, control click and choose to copy to another track.

Maybe I should put in a feature request.

But this is better than I was doing; thanks much for the tip - workflow is officially improved!
Pro Tools 12.8
Apogee Duet 2
Glyph Drives + Blackmagic dock with Samsung SSDs
Reason 10, Ivory II, BFD3, Finale
Plugins: Kush, Kontakt, Komplete Ultimate, Exponential Audio, Waves, Slate, Fab Filter, TDR, Pultec Bundle, Bomb Factory, UVI Workstation, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Massey, Valhalla, Aether, PhoenixVerb, etc...
also 17" MacBook Pro w Core i7, OSX 10.9.4
Old 10-05-2016, 04:17 AM

I am doing exactly what you are doing right now and what Dave says is correct. However, be very careful. It is very easy to end up editing the wrong track and not realizing it until too late!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 10-05-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
I am doing exactly what you are doing right now and what Dave says is correct. However, be very careful. It is very easy to end up editing the wrong track and not realizing it until too late!
Been there/done that. And that's why the fingers on my left hand are permanently bent into the cmd-s position

Save early and often I say.

QAPLA!