Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2013, 09:22 AM

Default Protools 9 sync with external keyboards

Hi, I have been struggling with this for months. I am running
PT9 on windows 7, Using mbox pro 3
and have a Fantom G, and Access Virus Indigo 2 keys (midi only) and blofeld module (usb & midi in only)...NOW the problem.....I use my Fantom sequencer get my ideas down, but I would be open to getting these down in protools in the first instance but have not found the way to do this using midi. I don't want to record only audio in protools. I would also like to incorporate the virus and blofeld also in a efficient manner.

I have tried various connection scenarios from time to time, but none of them have really worked. I would really appreciate some advice on what would be the best set up scenario, or suggestions from users with similar set-ups in terms of workflow efficiency and best way to sync everything midi, usb etc ??
Many thanks
Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Protools 9 sync with external keyboards

I'm not clear on how USB MIDI works so I'll suggest two ways. Not sure which will be best for you.

Fantom USB to computer
mbox MIDI Out --> Fantom MIDI In
Fantom MIDI Thru --> Virus MIDI In
Virus MIDI Thru --> Blofield MIDI In

or

Fantom USB to computer (for MIDI both ways to that device)
mbox MIDI Out --> Virus MIDI In
Virus MIDI Thru --> Blofield MIDI In

Pretty sure the second of those is the way to go but since I don't own a USB MIDI keyboard, I can't be sure. Whichever, you will also need to configure the MIDI Studio in PT to match the connections made. See the manual for details about that.

Keep in mind that MIDI can only carry 16 channels per Out. That holds true even when daisy-chaining. If you need more than 16 channels total at once among both (or all three) instruments, you may need a MIDI interface with multiple Outs. It may be that you can send 16 channels to the Fantom via USB, and send another 16 from the mbox MIDI Out to be shared by the Virus and Blofield. You might have to share 16 channels among all three devices - probably not, though.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 AM

Sorry in advance for being vague, I haven't done this for 10 years.

But, in general, the connections go like this:

1. Keyboard midi out -> pro tools midi track(s)
2. Pro tools midi out -> keyboard midi in

Set pro tools to generate midi beat clock.
Record enable midi track(s)
Start at bar/beat 1/0
Press record

The sequencer in your keyboard should follow the timeline in pro tools, play back the sequence, and record the midi data to the appropriate midi track(s). Note that You may also have to go into your keyboard and enable it to receive midi beat clock... I can't remember if that was also a step, like I said I haven't done this for 10 years.

The caveats are that pro tools needs to have the midi device/port your keyboard is sending on checked in "input devices", and that your midi track(s) need to be set to the correct midi channel(s). A lot of hardware sequencers treat each "track" of the sequence as a different midi channel, and not necessarily in sequential order. I'm not familiar with your keyboard, so you'll have to look in your manual for specifics on that.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 PM

Thanks guys I will try your suggestions