Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2012, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD Native Thunderbolt

Just wait until you see the price for this adapter. You'll soil your trousers. Though it does come with a generic headphone output so that's worth... not much.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:54 PM

5 Common Complaints About The New HD Native Thunderbolt Interface And Our Answers
Old 09-08-2012, 11:18 PM

The Avid-strong article coyly attempts to justify the price by incorporating the other elements of the bundle. When they mention 'adding up the cost of the components' they might volunteer the cost of the components which make up the box itself, not the bundle. An enterprising young person might be kind enough to give us THOSE figures.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:38 PM

In addition to the example of Apogee design aesthetics:
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/quartet.php

... here are the new Focusrite boxes:
http://global.focusrite.com/news/ann...new-interfaces

... and the new MOTU box:
http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/track16

All have beautiful form in addition to function.

And yes, I do know it's not the same function as the the new Avid box, I'm just making the suggestion to Avid to step up their game a little.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:14 AM

Here is the thing, nothing to do with this thunderbolt box for HD native users would benefit from "being stepped up" (well except concerns about the single Thunderbolt port).

This is a simple as dirt adapter to get thunderbolt equipped computers (esp. MBP and iMacs) over to Omni and HD series interfaces. It would be silly now for Avid to introduce large changes in its HD interface product lines to just support Thunderbolt. An whole series of changes, changes in all the chassis, motherboards and firmware etc., more produce SKUs to market, sell and support. And all for a relatively small market which they can address perfectly well by just adding this small box.

And the last thing I would want this adapter box to be is some dawky looking 'pretty" box sticking up on my desk. This is an out of the way little adapter box. There is not UI here at all, well a status LED and a volume knob if you want to use the built in headphone adapter.

Besides only having a single thunderbolt port, which does concern me. I don't see anything wrong with Avid's decision here.

OTOH companies like UAD are doing nice innovative things, the UAD Apollo looks great. If that fits you then go buy one. Many people almost seem to be wanting Avid to do a '004' here, this is not that. Its a bridge from Thunderbolt to HD native. HD native opens a wide door to much more than what an Apollo like interfaces can do, and at a consequently higher price point. We can all argue if that price point is justified or not. I hope Avid, for their own benefit and long term-health, is making the right pricing decisions.

I suspect Avid long ago gave up on the idea of competing in the low-end pro space (combined with the decision to open up Pro Tools LE) and/or see the HD native as about as low as they want to go in that 'Pro' market. The BOM cost of this thunderbolt box should be pretty low and there is hopefully small incremental unit cost of bundling Pro Tools HD (mostly third party licensing costs) so if Avid wants to in future counter product threats from below they should have the option to lower pricing of these native interfaces (and by then the HDX product line will be more established/acceptable to more high-end users so able to provide high-margin revenue from higher-end pro users).

The thing I never expect Avid to do is unbundle HD software licenses from HD adapters. That provides a strong lock-in and margin for Avid on these bundles. I would hope Avid does unbundle the interfaces (Omni and HD), this makes less and less sense over time.

What Avid needs to focus on IMNSHO is Pro Tools 11 and fixing as much of their business mess as they can so they are still around in a few years time. They've done a nice transition to HD Native and well down the path on HDX, AAX native and AAX DSP (except the waves issue) is looking better all the time. Pro Tools is the absolute backbone of Avid's business, now is not the time to significantly screw with the HD interface product line up when a simple adapter box will solve many customer's needs.

Darryl
Old 09-10-2012, 12:31 AM

And please don't use the Apogee Quartet as an example of good design. Seems like Apogee has given up on the pro market and is just chasing consumers. The quartet is a big block of design elegance that I don't want on my desk. I certainly don't have place to put this, especially when working with a mobile rig/laptop, I'd want stuff in the rack with knobs on front.

I really like the Apogee Ensemble but instead of chasing the consumer market (Jam, Mic, One, Duo, Quad, etc.) I wish Apogee would instead have worked more on a replacement for the Ensemble to compete better with the UAD Apollo. They don't seem to be doing well in the higher-end markets, including having pissed off some HD shops that were using their IO interfaces.

But yes, for mac users only, who want nice quality consumer gear, who really like copied Apple aluminum industrial design, and don't mind being forced to have it sit on your desktop the Quad may be an option, ...

Rant over

Darryl
Old 09-10-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

And the last thing I would want this adapter box to be is some dawky looking 'pretty" box sticking up on my desk. This is an out of the way little adapter box. There is not UI here at all, well a status LED and a volume knob if you want to use the built in headphone adapter.

Besides only having a single thunderbolt port, which does concern me. I don't see anything wrong with Avid's decision here.

The thing I never expect Avid to do is unbundle HD software licenses from HD adapters. That provides a strong lock-in and margin for Avid on these bundles. I would hope Avid does unbundle the interfaces (Omni and HD), this makes less and less sense over time.

Darryl
Not fazed by the utilitarian looks at all. In fact I like it - who needs flashy for this? I guess some people just like to have blinky lights and pretty graphics. Hook it up, power it up, done.

Agreed Avid blew it with only 1 TB port.

Unbundle the interfaces from the cards (HDX & HD Native) - a big YES! I have to wonder why Avid started selling the HD Native without a bundled interface and then switched their minds and bundled interfaces? And for those that are flush with interfaces (whether Avid, Apogee, Lynx) with the Digilink connector why are they be forced into buying an interface they may not need and then have to sell it second hand? I know, I know - compatibility with the HDX and HD native cards (and PT10/11). But Apogee and Lynx either have now or will have soon software updates for their interfaces to work with the new cards and s/w from Avid.

QAPLA!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl ramm View Post
snip... There is not ui here at all, well a status led and a volume knob if you want to use the built in headphone adapter.

Darryl
erm .... a self-negating sentence if ever I read one..

I don't see headphone outputs and volume knobs on a magma chassis. Must be because the Avid box is supposed to be something more than a "simple as dirt adapter".
Old 09-10-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
erm ....

I don't see headphone outputs and volume knobs on a magma chassis. Must be because the Avid box is supposed to be something more than a "simple as dirt adapter".
It's a simple as dirt adapter with a simple as dirt headphone out. And as Avid have already clarified they hope to get this box to run without an interface attached. So that is a nice feature for folks who want to run with no interface, mix on a laptop sitting on location etc. Think of that feature as the HD native version of the Mbox micro (and maybe as useful) The extra headphone jack also makes up for the Omni only having one jack (an oversight) or makes it easy when working with a HD IO. It's a nice convenience.

The main thing is its not an interface so comparing it to interfaces is just pointless, it does not needs or should not have any more design fluff, and it especially does not need any displays, extra knobs or goofy crap that assumes I need to look at it or have it clutters up limited space near my computer. I want to be able to stick it in a rack or out of sight if needed.

Darryl
Old 09-10-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The main thing is its not an interface.... snip

Darryl
Yes, it's not an interface - apart from the two interface components: The cheap plastic headphone socket, and the cheap plastic volume knob with no markings. Apart from that. Yes, that's right. Not an interface otherwise. Not an interface. Just not. Mm Hm.

It must be a difficult choice for those who buy it, deciding whether to hide it away somewhere in shame - or put it on display where they will be able to utilize the two interface components .... plug in their headphones and adjust the volume knob. Hmmm, what to do .... what to do.

N.B. Now that reminds me.... what were the two items I mentioned in my original post in this thread?