Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 AM

Default Elastic Audio Behaving Badly

Well, it seems I am having some issues with Elastic Audio. I have a session that ended up being recorded too slowly. I decided to use Elastic Audio to remedy that, and increase the tempo. Originally, the tempo was approximately 119 bpm. I need to get the session up to approximately 135 bpm. I have tried using EA across all of the tracks to do so; at first it seems to work ok, however about the time the first chorus come in, EA quickly slows the tempo to slightly slower than the original (when I checked, it was at 116 bpm at that point). Once it's slowed down, it then stays at the lower tempo. Is this normal? Is this a bug? Is this operator error?

A little bit more about the session and what I have done so far: I am recording 10 audio tracks and no MIDI tracks. I realized too late that there should be no fade files, so I consolidated the audio in every track. I have set all tracks to ticks instead of samples. I am in bars/beats instead of minutes/seconds like I usually work in. I have tried making sure I am in grid mode (have tried both absolute and relative). I am using polyphonic, but have also tried rendering with X-Form. Nothing seems to work.

I did try bouncing a rough mix to disc, and then increasing the tempo on that. It seems to work ok with that; however I need the multi-track version intact and sped up, as I am collaborating with another person who will be recording some overdubs in another studio. I am at my wits end-please help.

Please forgive me if this has been discussed in another thread; I have searched and searched but have yet to come up with an answer.

The Kid
Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Elastic Audio Behaving Badly

are you in manual tempo mode
or using the conductor?
e
Old 08-28-2012, 11:38 AM

Red face Re: Elastic Audio Behaving Badly

As far as I know, I have been in manual tempo mode. It never occurred to me to use the conductor (although one might say it should be obvious to do so). I am not in the "studio" at the moment, however when I get home tonight, I will definitely make sure that conductor is turned on, and try again.

Thanks for the tip! I hope that is the missing link.

The Kid
Old 08-28-2012, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Elastic Audio Behaving Badly

Figured it out! I had several time events in the tempo ruler starting with the chorus. Once I deleted them, the tempo stayed where it was supposed to be.

HOWEVER, that brings up another can of worms. For about one bar, and about one bar into the chorus, there is now some funkiness (and not in a good way) across all the tracks. It sounds as though the is distorted and almost as though there is comb filtering going on. In addition, all of the tracks in that one section are highlighted. That one is very beyond me. However though, I had created a backup beforehand that did not have any time changes on it, so I have reverted to that one for now, and it is behaving exactly the way it is supposed to.

Anyhoo, problem solved...??? The mysteries still continue.

The Kid