Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2009, 07:01 PM

Thumbs down Hey Digi here is my complaint to you.

Sorry if this is going to be really rude but the more I play with this Digi stuff and the more I learn the more mad and upset I get at myself for not knowing before I purchased and at digi for assuming im an idiot.. The more I feel I was ripped off and suckered.. YA HEAR THAT DIGI? i will pass this on to friends..

so before you flame me for letting digi have it, this is just me venting to Digi about their business practices and my 700 bucks that I worked hard for. So comment if you want but dont be mad at me be mad at digi and request the features. Plus im frail over 90 and I have Alzheimer's, Gout and I forget to take my Enzyte. and quiet drunk right now

NO ADC?
OK straight from the Digi site and their own words

"Pro Tools LE™ personal studio systems offer everything you need to create music affordably with professional results. These systems range from mixing interfaces that sit at the center of your project studio to unique hybrid instrument interfaces and portable setups small enough to fit in your pocket."

Professional results? Not offering ADC as a basic feature for a music/time based program is unbelievable. Then to not advertise that and make it very visible on the packaging is even more criminal. can you imagine what the packaging would say..

"While recording a track the timing problems are not you please be advised that you will have to manually go back into the session and realign all the tracks to fit in time. This is due to the fact that your an idiot and we suckered you. We have provided no way for the system to align the music after its been routed via the plugins. Sorry for the inconvenience Logic is sitting one rack over"

External HardDrive.
From the Manual:

Although Pro Tools lets you record to your system volume, this is generally not recommended. Performance for audio recording and playback on system drives is not as good as on non-system hard drives.
Record to system drives only when absolutely necessary, such as if your computer system has only one hard drive, or if your other hard drives are completely full.

Im looking at my MBOX2 box right now. No where does it say "Recording to the system volume isnt recommended". Now I purchased my Imac with 10.5 .x on it fully supported everything good to go via sweetwater. I tried like hell to get my sessions to run on the system drive did the research and figured out external is the way to go. 250 bucks on Glyph drive later OH GUESS what it works now. UHG cmon digi that [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] should be on the box.

NO MP3 export
WTF!!! why? what could you possibly loose from offering that? HD sales gonna sag? there is no reason NONE I can download MAX a free program from the internet that will convert my files to any format I want again 5 extra bucks on the price of the Mbox2 again money YOU LOST..

Digi,
These little thing are just proof that yall dont care about the musicians. its proof that you prey on the novice consumer who doesnt know better and that you are looking for the upsale. It doesnt take much time for that Novice to go looking around after he has figured these few things out to find out that Logic, Cubase ect... have all this stuff from the start.

Whats funny is yall say that your a Hardware company not a software company. IF so, Then give us the full software with all the features and let the upsale be for more channels and hardware features just like your competition. But for now my recent purchase and education about PT LE has left a sour taste in my mouth for your company probably will never purchase another digi product or recommend it to anybody else..
Fix your image and your gear...
Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Hey Digi here is my complaint to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidtools View Post
So comment if you want but dont be mad at me be mad at digi and request the features. Plus im frail over 90 and I have Alzheimer's, Gout and I forget to take my Enzyte. and quiet drunk right now
There is a strong correlation between autoimmune diseases and distance from the equator. The farther you move from the equator, the more likely you are to get one. This suggests it has something to do with sunlight. Sunlight is how our bodies produce vitamin D.

Preventative measure: Get plenty of calcium in your breakfast (I recommend oranges!). Then, get at least 15 minutes of sunlight so your body can produce vitamin D. Calcium is necessary for vitamin to function, and there is strong evidence that this mineral/vitamin combination prevents cancer, along with many other diseases.

For the external hard drive: I'm actually running on my internal 5400 rpm drive on my Macbook Pro without a hitch. Still, the Glyph was definitely a good investment (even though it was hard on the wallet).

For the mp3 option: I think it has something to do with paying royalties to the guy who wrote the encoder. It's a little pathetic that they nickel and dime us like that, but remember it is PRO Tools. Most pros don't even use mp3. It's a novelty format that sound AWFUL in comparison to most others.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:01 PM

Well, I'll just add that they certainly did provide a way to compensate for plugin/insert delay. It is a manual process using the time adjuster plugin, and not automatic. IMO people make way too big a deal about this.. (I'm sounding like a broken record I guess..)

Watch these videos by Peeder:

http://www.screencast.com/users/peed...ders/tutorials

If you prepare your session from the beginning for this, then it certainly shouldn't ruin your day having to do this manually

YMMV
Old 11-29-2009, 09:06 PM

No one ever said you had to buy a Glyph(only the most expensive firewire drive out there). A $100 drive from OWC will work just dandy.

No MP3 export-I'll toss in my 2 cents and suggest that MP3's are simply NOT pro, and there are so many free ways to make an MP3 from a bounced file, I don't need another one in PT.

As for the lack of ADC, in 5 years I have actually cared about that one time(amazing how much latency a noise reduction plugin can have). Learn what plugins have latency, and don't use them. Its never an issue for me in my commercial studio that earns my living.

Kudos to DIGI for allowing you to vent. Maybe sweetwater should have done a better job?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-29-2009, 09:13 PM

Cool tut's :)

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:22 PM

The ADC issue has been ran to the ground and is old now. Ok, we know that Pro Tools needs ADC. I'm sure they are working on that right now. ADC is just an excuse for plug in programmers for being lazy and not correctly programming their products.

As for recording, SATA is the real way to go. My Recordings never been soo solid after SATA came out. Avid Recommends 32 tracks for every SATA II Hard drive vs. External's 24.

As for MP3s, you tell me you don't want to use iTunes, which is free? Yes it is a hassle, but most of the times we don't bounce to MP3s unless needed.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 11-30-2009, 12:17 AM

Without hurting the op. It is somewhat funny to see that every year users want easier things with even higher quality results.
Recording to system drive is fine. Well, only when a hobbyist is in the kindergarden recording the kids speech. (If I do that I don't record to the system drive, but that's me)

Adc will be a welcomed feature, although there are workarounds (take at least a huge minute with a big session). Of course almost every other daw has it, so we need it. By the way, even daw's that has adc had serious problems with that, but I agree that digi should implement this. But! Do not act as if it were a showstopper, because it is not.

I understand your frustration, but knowledge of a software, to be fluent with it doesn't come for free. You need to work on that. I understand that today trend is to get everything for free and it must work flawlessly within a minute without any effort, but let's face reality for a minute. Quality is still acieved by learning, and hard work.
TD
Old 11-30-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
No one ever said you had to buy a Glyph(only the most expensive firewire drive out there). A $100 drive from OWC will work just dandy.

No MP3 export-I'll toss in my 2 cents and suggest that MP3's are simply NOT pro, and there are so many free ways to make an MP3 from a bounced file, I don't need another one in PT.

As for the lack of ADC, in 5 years I have actually cared about that one time(amazing how much latency a noise reduction plugin can have). Learn what plugins have latency, and don't use them. Its never an issue for me in my commercial studio that earns my living.

Kudos to DIGI for allowing you to vent. Maybe sweetwater should have done a better job?
+10

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:49 AM

No software is without flaws, that's why they change and develop over time. I also use Cubase 4 and although I do like some parts I hate others. Some form of gestalt of Cubase and ProTools would probably be ideal in my mind.

That said we buy a tool to do a job. They all work, but more so when one knows how to use it correctly, that includes working around problems inherent in a design. It also means spending time to learn it. PT is not Garageband, it is a complex piece of software.

I know it can be frustrating. It took me a month before I had the system I set out to own and it cost me more when I was first starting out. BUT, I stuck with it and it paid off in the end.

Website
IMDB

Old 11-30-2009, 12:36 PM

Im pondering some of the advice above they are good points..thanks for throwing those in

I would like to say about MP3 I agree they are not pro.. but unfortunately they are the standard I asked 3 people today at work what file format are your songs in... the reply from 2 was mp3. And in the course of the conversation they didnt refer to them as songs they were mp3s.. All my mp3s are on my iphone, I have all my mp3s backed up, My wife deleted some of my mp3s. One said, I quote, "oh you mean what format are my mp3s in? im not kidding... just something to think about.. FUNNY