Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2009, 06:02 AM

Default can't copy and paste automation?

For some reason, while working with a session today, I am able to copy and paste regions, but the automation doesn't copy and paste with them. When I try to copy each automation playlist separately it doesn't work either.
I can make the command with the computer and it says it is copying and pasting but nothing new is printed. Does anyone know why?
I hope its just a setting and not a bug. Thanks.

PT 7.4.2
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz
OS X 10.5.4
Old 01-28-2009, 06:15 AM

Default Re: can't copy and paste automation?

Let me clarify a few things.
I can copy and paste any automation changes I make.
But if I open the session and try to copy the automation as it is, it doesn't work, i have to make a change first.
so in order to copy large chunks of automation i have to make small adjustments to my mix....eg. move the volume down, copy, paste, and then move the volume back up on both the copy source and destination.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:16 AM

Maybe if you explain the goal, someone will have an idea. Opening a session and copying automation doesn't make much sense to me.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-28-2009, 08:04 AM

i open a session to do some editing. the first action i need to perform is a copy and paste of some regions. but the automation doesn't copy with them. there are other actions to follow, but this is the starting point, the point where i left off. the goal is to record and mix music, with some post recording arranging at times. this is one of those times. copy and paste is the first action to todays work. make sense now?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:08 AM

I believe there's a preference of automation follows edits. I'm not in front of my rig right now so I can't tell you exactly where it is, but I'm almost certain it's there. Poke around in setup > preferences > and probably under the edit tab...
(3)192/SYNC IO/CS HEDD192/Studer A27/Neve 48 Ch. VR console
Old 01-28-2009, 08:23 AM

thanks. i checked that out and the box is checked. i can get my system to copy automation with a region, but only if i make a change to the automation first (which i don't want to do). its kind of like it doesn't recognize that there is even any automation written until i remind it by changing something.
like when your foot falls asleep because you haven't moved it in awhile. you forget its there until something moves your foot (something changes).