Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 06:09 AM

Default Logic Pro 8

For those that might be intersested Logic Pro 8 info
Old 09-12-2007, 06:30 AM

Default Re: Logic Pro 8

Not interested.

Though it is interesting how long Digidesign can charge over $1000 for the LE Video Toolkit if Apple now sells Logic Studio for $499 which is a steal IMO.

And on another note, how can Digidesign continue to charge $499 for DigiTranslator or MachineControl, because compared to Logic the prices are really out of proportion now.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:50 AM

I find it noteworthy they've gone dongle-free.
jeff
Old 09-12-2007, 06:56 AM

I agree. Nuendo and Logic both support AAF, OMF,etc. Now Logic, at $499 also has Dolby AC-3 encoding w/ preview, DVD-A burn straight to disc, no more USB dongle, an much more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a die-hard PT user. It would take a lot of convincing to pry ProControl and an Expansion Chassis full of cards away from me, BUT I bought Nuendo last week to test drive and Logic Studio will be on the way ASAP just to test the waters. I want to know that before I drop 15+ grand on the next PT HD incarnation that it's still the one to use.

I really hope Digi addresses some basic needs/bug fixes VERY soon. Having clients watch me twisting knobs as the random graphic freeze busts our groove 4 or 5 times an hour on a rig that cost $25g is not that inspiring. This alone is one of the top reasons I've not invested in an ICON yet. Needs to be addressed. Don't get me started on DigiTranslator being a separate purchase!

C'mon Digi! I don't want to leave you!! Take my money (more of it) and make me happy!

Rob Burrell

PTHD Ultimate/Eucon (latest betas) / Mac Studio Ultra 128GB RAM / Aja T-Tap / Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe 8TB / Focusrite 16Line / MTRX Studio / UAD Octo / 32 channel S1 & Dock (5) 2019 Fire HD 10 / Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 /Mastering Suite / 13.0 Sony 360RA
Old 09-12-2007, 07:08 AM

I wish they would do a FCP2 studio / Logic 8 bundle ... that would be nice.
jeff
Old 09-12-2007, 07:20 AM

The super clean arrange window (finally) looks really nice - very Apple.

Quick swipe comping is cool.

$499 or $199 upgrade from v5 or v6. That's very aggresive pricing.

I'm definitely prepared to give it a go.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:06 AM

i have to say that i am very impressed.

don't get me wrong...i love my pt hd rig but at this price point i owe it to myself to give it ago.

most of the features that i've hated about logic and loved about pt are now in logic 8. i work in both daily.

i don't think i willl ever give up my pt rig...it is too far entrenched...compatible with too many studios and too hard to find engineers in la who even know logic let alone want to mix in it.

the big thing for me is how does it sound...i prefer the sound of pt to logic especially the stereo width.

who knows...it might get it today and see.

ej
Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
i don't think i willl ever give up my pt rig...it is too far entrenched...compatible with too many studios and too hard to find engineers in la who even know logic let alone want to mix in it.
Weren't they saying that about multitrack tape a few years ago?

Technology moves fast, and I don't think anyone has a long term lock on things. Not all that long ago, people were saying that Digidesign could never compete with New England Digital Post Pro systems.

I think it's great that these breakthroughs happen. It keeps everyone on their toes, and we consumers benefit. Logic 8, written natively for OSX utilizing core audio and core midi has performance that Digidesign simply cannot touch in PT's current state. It'll be interesting to see if Digidesign jumps into the native market with both feet, and comes up with their own kernel level solution.

I work in Logic most of the time, anyway. I'm just glad that TDM hardware is still supported in Logic 8. It's quite a relief, knowing that I won't have to make any massive hardware changes for now.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:13 AM

Now, if Digi has plans to implement AU, then I won't feel bad... Digi's RTAS and TDM are becoming too exclusive IMHO.
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!
Old 09-12-2007, 11:30 AM

can´t wait for protools 7.4.!