Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 02:16 PM

Default I knew Waves would listen to me eventually

Well, probably not just me but the L3-16 is now available seperately

http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=3173

WOW, how the times are changing.

Now we can really get involved in the loudness war!! don't fight it, its a sign of the times. thats how it is!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: I knew Waves would listen to me eventually

And the price is so..... reasonable (cough, cough, gasp)!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:24 PM

50% off bundles and upgrades for NARAS members.
Mercury has landed for me and I love it.
Don't waste your keystrokes slammin..... i know what im hearing.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
And the price is so..... reasonable (cough, cough, gasp)!
yeah. I would get the bundle, but I already have L1, L2, and L3 multi. I'd be paying at least $1200 for the one plug
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 04-24-2007, 09:00 PM

the V3 & V4 are amazing..... i just did a side by side compare with a hardware Neve and was extremely impressed!
$1200 for a dozen channels of 1081's is a steal to me...... download a demo and check em out and see if you dig it. Im glad i did.
Ive been using Q-Clone to capture my Neve's which is pretty awesome, but i think i like the idea of the V3 & V4 so that i can use it on my laptop while on the move.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Well, probably not just me but the L3-16 is now available seperately

http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=3173

WOW, how the times are changing.

Now we can really get involved in the loudness war!! don't fight it, its a sign of the times. thats how it is!

Chris
Now you can have 16 bands of weird release artifacts & 16 cross overs to mush up & kill the depth of your mix. But hey at least it will be loud so it must be good right?

Seriously there is good ways & bad ways to get things loud... none of the L series can do it transparently when shooting for level.

Matt

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 04-24-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
the V3 & V4 are amazing
If only they were sold separately – I will probably never even consider buying the Mercury bundle. However, I'd like to buy the V4 TDM, so effectively Waves has lost my money.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:18 AM

<<Now you can have 16 bands of weird release artifacts & 16 cross overs to mush up & kill the depth of your mix. But hey at least it will be loud so it must be good right?>>

I agree - the artifacts induced by this plug are greater than the apparent volume it delivers. It's not a problem to get something to sound loud. Just turn up the amp on the stereo. It's an art to get something to sound GREAT. And the L3-16 IMHO will only degrade what one has achieved spending countless hours on THAT great mix...
Old 04-25-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
[…] Now you can have 16 bands of weird release artifacts & 16 cross overs to mush up & kill the depth of your mix.
Of course, it can do that, but I choose to use it differently. And when I do — when I take the time — the L3-16 rewards me with stellar results. Having said that, it’s perfectly OK not to use it.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 04-25-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I agree - the artifacts induced by this plug are greater than the apparent volume it delivers. It's not a problem to get something to sound loud. Just turn up the amp on the stereo. It's an art to get something to sound GREAT. And the L3-16 IMHO will only degrade what one has achieved spending countless hours on THAT great mix...
I cherish the sharing of opinions that fori such as this afford all of us. In particular, I treasure opinions that differ from mine, because they occasionally make me stop and revisit my own.

There are, of course, exceptions, as in the case of Mr. 25ghosts, whose DUC modus operandi seems to be to gratuitously spew vitriolic garbage at every turn. For example, discussing the lack of an “unbundled” upgrade path to the L3-16, a few weeks ago, Mr. 25ghosts, wrote:

“[…] I find waves' politics to just as bizarre as Israel's relationship to palestine.... and I have bought my last waves processor. Even if they threw one at me I'd sell it out a shear despise towards Waves. They have infested my Mac for the last time... ”

Emboldened by his hiding behind an assumed name*, Mr. 25ghosts, veers off-topic to offer us a glimpse into his political views, and — more importantly — a dubious (at best) analogy used to illustrate his despising of Waves, the company, and subsequent decision to never purchase one of their products.

* Which makes his moral footing about as solid and tangible as, say, ghosts.

Aside from the (ahem) logical path leading to his decision, the irrevocable nature of it, and the manner in which he inform us, it is clear that Mr. 25ghost’ stance vis-a-vis Waves products has little to do with the quality of said products.

I find it therefore ironic…no, make that “laughable,” that Mr 25ghosts should choose to engage in discussions about the sound quality of Waves products. Is he actually expecting us to take these latest comments about “sonics” at face value? Is he expecting us to somehow forget his previous statements and believe that his “contribution” is somehow devoid of bias and ulterior motives? Right.

So, you’ll have to forgive me if I choose to dismiss the opinions of Mr. 25ghost as empty drivel — of value only if it were returned to its natural use and habitat: soil enrichment on a farm.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)