How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2022, 08:46 PM

Default Can't Get to Plug ins Folder

Hi,

I recently installed a third party plug in VIR Harmonic Virtual Cello v3. Pro Tools Ultimate is getting hung up on it during booting up Pro Tools. I went looking for the plug in, in the following directory: Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins ·

The only problem is when I go there I see: Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/no Audio appears here. Inside of the Avid folder I have these 3 folders: Avid Link, AvidLink (no space) and Pro Tools. No Audio folder. So I can't get to the plug ins folder to remove the plug in Pro Tools hangs on during start up. Any ideas why? Why does the directory look this way?

Thanks
Old 12-13-2022, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Can't Get to Plug ins Folder

Somehow you're navigating to the library folder under your login instead of the system library folder. You have the path right so try it again.

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-14-2022, 06:41 PM

You're right when I go to the Library, it shows it going through the user. I tried click on the Mac Drive and then Library, but it sends me back through the user. How can I get to the Library via the system, like you said?
Old 12-14-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermid View Post
You're right when I go to the Library, it shows it going through the user. I tried click on the Mac Drive and then Library, but it sends me back through the user. How can I get to the Library via the system, like you said?
You should get familiar with using Terminal and basic UNIX commands. To move a plugin out of the plugin folder to the Unused folder type the following open up Terminal.app and type the following:

$ cd /Library/Application\ Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins
$ ls
... will list all plugins there, find the name of your plugin amongst those.
$ mv NAME_OF_PLUGIN ../Plug-Ins\ \(Unused\)

($ is the command prompt, which will likely be different for you)
(notice the absolute need use the \ character to escape a space character or braces that would otherwise make the shell think that is the end of the file name or similar. You have to also escape any spaces in the plugin name) Or if you want to avoid the need to use backslash escapes for special characters you can quote any string arguments:

$ cd '/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins'
$ ls
... will list all plugins there, find the name of your plugin amongst those.
$ mv 'NAME_OF_PLUGIN' '../Plug-Ins (Unused)'

If you want to know what any commands do you can type man to get the command man (manual) page. e.g.

$ man ls

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-16-2022 at 03:27 AM.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:14 PM

And on the desktop you are almost certainly accidentally opening a folder that is showing your home directory and seeing the wrong Library there (it's a finder option to show that per-user Library at all, otherwise it will always be hidden, you might be best to undo the option if it's causing confusion). You need to double click on the drive icon on the finder desktop (also hidden by default from the desktop unless you enable it), view the root folder on that drive and you will see what is in the attached screenshot, if not you are in the wrong place. Double click on Library. If you are using Finder>Go and holding down Option, then selecting Library, that *is* the wrong way to do this, and it's working as designed and taking you to your per-user Library settings.

It is hard to imaging this being in any way corrupted/pointing to the wrong place, if it was your Mac would be falling over/apps crashing etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 7.10.10 PM.jpg (28.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-16-2022 at 03:27 AM.