Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Logic Pro 8

Quote:
Quote:
7.5, or whatever comes after will be more along the lines of what you're after. MIDI matrix editor, Tighter Sibelius integration, more AIR stuff, loads of music-related gubbins basically.
Is this a guess?
As usual, anyone who actually knows about these things can't say.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Avid

Quote:

Really? I was at a live show about two months ago with a Venue. It crashed right in the middle of the performance. No sound for 10 mins. while they frantically rebooted. Great for the performers and the audience! As someone in the business I was embarrassed for them even though I had nothing to do with the show or the venue. (the place, not the thing)
I wanted to take a moment to address this post.

We contacted the FOH engineer for Teagan and Sara directly to find out what happened. This failure was due to power loss (they were travelling without a UPS for the first few show dates...) and was not due to any inherent failure of the Venue system. Having the UPS would have circumvented the need for a boot up of the system. The system does take a little while to boot, but ordinarily shouldn't need to be done more than once at the beginning of the day.

The Venue system is unique that, even in the event of a crash of the D-Show software or OS, the system will still run in it's last configuration, passing audio with all plug-ins, etc. intact, though you will only be able to adjust a few parameters (volume, pan, etc) until the system reboots completely. This happens extremely rarely and anything short of power failure (and no UPS) should result in a smooth show from the audience perspective.

We understand the extreme importance of having a reliable system in live situations and the response from engineers using Venue has been overwhelmingly positive in this respect.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:42 PM

Digi, you big old tease!

I think it's great that you not only peruse these threads, but actually take the time to chase issues up.

But no comment on that giant white elephant in the room wearing the flashing neon "Logic Pro 8" sign?

I guess the mere fact that you would reply to an off topic comment on this subject implies that you have been scrutinizing the entire thread, no doubt with a view to assessing the state of play re. first impressions of Logic 8 vs expectations for the imminent release of PT 7.4 and what will need to be addressed for PT 7.5 / 8.

Perhaps surprisingly, some of the more interesting, even worrying reaction can be found in the Windows LE thread .
Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 PM

How does it "do midi" better than PT?

Logic 8 doesn't even have 'Wait for Note" for heaven's sake

TH
Old 09-25-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Really? I was at a live show about two months ago with a Venue. It crashed right in the middle of the performance. No sound for 10 mins. while they frantically rebooted. Great for the performers and the audience! As someone in the business I was embarrassed for them even though I had nothing to do with the show or the venue. (the place, not the thing)
I wanted to take a moment to address this post.

We contacted the FOH engineer for Teagan and Sara directly to find out what happened. This failure was due to power loss (they were travelling without a UPS for the first few show dates...) and was not due to any inherent failure of the Venue system. Having the UPS would have circumvented the need for a boot up of the system. The system does take a little while to boot, but ordinarily shouldn't need to be done more than once at the beginning of the day.

The Venue system is unique that, even in the event of a crash of the D-Show software or OS, the system will still run in it's last configuration, passing audio with all plug-ins, etc. intact, though you will only be able to adjust a few parameters (volume, pan, etc) until the system reboots completely. This happens extremely rarely and anything short of power failure (and no UPS) should result in a smooth show from the audience perspective.

We understand the extreme importance of having a reliable system in live situations and the response from engineers using Venue has been overwhelmingly positive in this respect.
I appreciate your response and that of the FOH. It's interesting that "Power Loss" was cited as the rest of the venue remained lit throughout the rebooting process and I mean stage lights not "emergency" lights. Sounds like someone tripped a power strip on the audio or something like that. The facility certainly did not lose power at any time that I was there. There may have been some other operator error issues as well as I saw them tweaking plug-in settings after rebooting as though they had not been saved. Only they know what really happened but as an audience member it certainly looked and sounded as though the Venue had crashed. Again, I can assure you there was no power loss at the building at that time.

Sorry for thread-jacking.

Back to your regularly scheduled program...
Old 09-25-2007, 02:31 AM

I am very interested, although Logic has not been a very friendly environment, in my experience. This version actually looks usable but buyer beware. There are always surprises lurking under the hood of the next great thing. The swipable comping is ingenious! I wonder if it actually works...
Old 09-25-2007, 04:50 AM

Quote:
How does it "do midi" better than PT?

Logic 8 doesn't even have 'Wait for Note" for heaven's sake

TH
So, wait for note is what puts PT above Logic in the midi department? Please tell me you are being sarcastic.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:15 AM

I noticed that Logic has Multi Takes a'la Playlists

Do the underlying Takes get edited when when the Top Take gets edited????

A Preference I'd like in Protools!!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
7.5, or whatever comes after will be more along the lines of what you're after. MIDI matrix editor, Tighter Sibelius integration, more AIR stuff, loads of music-related gubbins basically.
Is this a guess?
Yes, but an educated one.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I find it noteworthy they've gone dongle-free.
jeff
I think this sucks. I have no idea why everyone is so eager to go dongle free. To me, unless you are stealing softer, this is a major "downgrade" in my opinion. Dongle free, is OK for non-professional software, but not for pro stuff. Dongle free is like me buying a API lunch box, but only being able to use it in my home studio. I'd have to buy another lunchbox to take somewhere else.

With a dongle... I can buy the software ONCE. Then, if I have to go to another studio, I just take my dongle with me. I work at many different places, and I cherish the fact that I can take a CD or two with all my software and my dongle(s) and have all my stuff at any studio I go to.

Now... it sucks. Logic Pro 8 has no dongle. Now, If I go to another place... I either have to not use Logic, or I have to purchase a copy for that place. Of course... I'm using PT 99% of the time, these days, but Logic 8 looks good. I may do pre-production work in Logic 8, but now I have to have it all complete, and bounced to PT before I go to the studio because I'm not going to purchase a bunch of licenses to take to different facilities.

-Tom