Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Logic Pro 8

Quote:
Ive just bought a fast Macbook Pro for on-the-road-composing, - and even tho I love PT and got a large ICON/HD-rig at the studio, I have to say that it was Logic 8 that was going on the laptop and not the cripled PTLE when I set it up this monday..
A few reasons for this:
No dongle, - and using the onboard soundcard (hate the converter, - but hey..), Logic 8 is [bleep] as a mixing-audio-editing platform but for composing I find it lightening fast.. - and for this kind of work I´m not after advanced mixing features but great VI´s and a program with great performans in a portable pagage..

The new user interface is much more intuitive than ver.7 and I find it even faster..

A large, - very large soundpallet included massive loop and sample-libary.

Great to have Wave-burner.

So yes I hate to have to stray away from PT, - because its a pain in the butt to have to convert files when I get home, - but PTLE jus dont cut it in the current form for me as a small system.

Cheers
Logic on a MacBookPro is a breath of fresh air.

I don't miss the maze of cables, interfaces, dongles ETC

It's a interesting idea Open notebook, Press power button, Launch program

Scary simple

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-20-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:

4) Individual track allocation is a dying wish in Logic - cuz you can't. You get to choose ONE location. Imagine recording 24 tracks at the same time with a SR of 96 or 192 KHZ - to one drive only... Good luck.

We have different opinions about what the important differences between Logic and PT are, and I won't go into that - but here's some info regarding what you just wrote: Logic 8 is apparently optimized for handling a lot more tracks than Logic 7 was - I've recently been in touch with a Logic user who played 70+ 96kHz tracks from one drive - in 24 bit. The test was done with interleaved stereo tracks - so 140 mono tracks shouldn't be a problem.

I just did a test on my first generation MBP and could record 'only' 26 tracks, but that was @ 192kHz.

Fifty 96kHZ tracks- in 24 bit - on a 2.16 CoreDuo MacBook Pro shouldn't be a problem.

No platform war intended, both DAWs have great stuff the other application doesn't have, but these facts may explain why individual track allocation isn't a 'dying wish' in Logic 8.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I am working with Logic 8 and PT 7.3.1 on a dual G5.
No problems so far
Hi there,

Did you have to upgrade the OSX to 10.4.10 for Logic 8 ?

10.4.10 is not qualified with PT. Is it ?

Cheers

Lizardpoint
Old 09-20-2007, 12:29 PM

some one must love it, I found this add last night

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/tfr/426931138.html

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-20-2007, 01:37 PM

Logic 8 requires OS X 10.4.9. Pro Tools is not qualified for 10.4.10.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I've just installed Logic 8 and I am not pleased at all.
Did you Try Re-Installing the Main Stage package??
Old 09-23-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Yes you can. You run 2 audio drivers at the same time, both DAE and Core Audio (or Direct TDM).
Thanks for the help. I finally got it working that way. I believe Logic will only use the I/O on my primary 192, which is a problem for my setup. I have several outboard PCs running VI's and use a couple of 192's for inputs. It seems I can only access the 32 inputs from the first 192. Seems like there is always a wall I run into.
Were you using Logic in a full DAE mode rather than just using core audio to access a digi hardware interface?

With Logic running not in DTDM mode, can audio unit tracks be routed through 24 or more ADAT lightpipe channels (on an interface like a MOTU 2408) to return to 24 TDM aux ins via 192 lightpipe ins?

Or if the TDM mixer is instantiated are the core audio outputs limited to 8 like the limitations of the ESB bridge?

Oh, and does a legacy interface like an ADAT bridge work in Logic with a HD system?

DISTRIBUTED AUDIO PROCESSING
Has anyone tried the distributed audio processing feature in Logic?
Compared to not using any "node" processing, Does using a node plugin change the latency of that channel or the whole audio output?

How stable is distributed audio processing?

If anyone can shed light on any of the above questions it would be most appreciated.

If Logic's Distributed Audio Processing works reasonably well then in theory one could add additional computers like adding Accel cards- close in price, and use AU plugins at half the price of TDM (and hopefully less problems than seem to accompany RTAS versions).
Authorization could be a problem as the node machine would have to be authorized, but couldn't one have a Waves machine, and a Sonnox machine, and a URS machine and a bomb factory, oops, scratch that last one.
Basically have the host machine do VI's and au and logic plugins, and have a node machine doing logic plugins (no auth needed) and an offload of 3rd party AU plugs?

Oh, devil - in - the details- one- more question, to use Logic 8 with AU plugins on node machines do those au plugins have to be a special version, or are most third party AU plugins already capable/compatible for this purpose?
Old 09-23-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes you can. You run 2 audio drivers at the same time, both DAE and Core Audio (or Direct TDM).
Thanks for the help. I finally got it working that way. I believe Logic will only use the I/O on my primary 192, which is a problem for my setup. I have several outboard PCs running VI's and use a couple of 192's for inputs. It seems I can only access the 32 inputs from the first 192. Seems like there is always a wall I run into.
Were you using Logic in a full DAE mode rather than just using core audio to access a digi hardware interface?

With Logic running not in DTDM mode, can audio unit tracks be routed through 24 or more ADAT lightpipe channels (on an interface like a MOTU 2408) to return to 24 TDM aux ins via 192 lightpipe ins?

Or if the TDM mixer is instantiated are the core audio outputs limited to 8 like the limitations of the ESB bridge?

Oh, and does a legacy interface like an ADAT bridge work in Logic with a HD system?

DISTRIBUTED AUDIO PROCESSING
Has anyone tried the distributed audio processing feature in Logic?
Compared to not using any "node" processing, Does using a node plugin change the latency of that channel or the whole audio output?

How stable is distributed audio processing?

If anyone can shed light on any of the above questions it would be most appreciated.

If Logic's Distributed Audio Processing works reasonably well then in theory one could add additional computers like adding Accel cards- close in price, and use AU plugins at half the price of TDM (and hopefully less problems than seem to accompany RTAS versions).
Authorization could be a problem as the node machine would have to be authorized, but couldn't one have a Waves machine, and a Sonnox machine, and a URS machine and a bomb factory, oops, scratch that last one.
Basically have the host machine do VI's and au and logic plugins, and have a node machine doing logic plugins (no auth needed) and an offload of 3rd party AU plugs?

Oh, devil - in - the details- one- more question, to use Logic 8 with AU plugins on node machines do those au plugins have to be a special version, or are most third party AU plugins already capable/compatible for this purpose?
I didn't think the node machines needed authorizations. Is this new with Logic 8?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I was running it with DAE and DTDM enabled. Running in full DAE mode and not having access to the Logic VI's isn't worth the change for me. If I could get access to all my 192 inputs and also use the Logic VI's, I'd be set.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
7.5, or whatever comes after will be more along the lines of what you're after. MIDI matrix editor, Tighter Sibelius integration, more AIR stuff, loads of music-related gubbins basically.
Is this a guess?