Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 07:03 AM

Default Help: advising.. starting at 5.1 world

Hello, folks

I have just bought and HD2 Accel System with the 192 I/O digital (plus one Adat Bridge 24 bits), and a MAc Pro 2.66. I also have a Mix plus hanging here, wit 2 Adat bridges , 1 02R96K and 1 01V96.

I will be starting doing 5.1. My weakest link are my monitors, Monitor Ones passive with a TASCAM Amp.

a)Would you recommend me the Dynaudio BM5A, BM6A or BM12A, their BM sub, for a 5.1 set? My room has fine acoustics, although not that big: 6 x 3.5 (meters) Height: 2.75 (meters)

b)Concerning I use the 02R96v2 for joysticking pan trajectories, using her 8 analog aux send for feeding active monitors, use its onboard reverbers (fine). Do you think it should be better staying ITB with the new HD system and mac pro quad 2.66?

c) Also, what else will I need after have created the 5.1 Wave/SD2 files. A software for encoding to dolby/dts like the Minentonka? I have heard this is factory standard with the Nuendo software(!!)

d) Also.. for properly mastering... Seems most use System 6000 (too expensive for me) or Sonic Studio. What other tools are available, besides doing inside PT HD environment?

Thanks and sorry for the naive questions!

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Help: advising.. starting at 5.1 world

Firts, what kind of stuff are you doing.
We don't have a TC6000, and we do a ton of 5.1 series, docs, drama, and features.
Personally, I would ditch the O2r's, and start mixing ITB.
Aldo, I would start working in .wav format.

IMDB Credits
Old 08-08-2007, 05:47 PM

step away from the SD2, it has no place in the modern word

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-08-2007, 07:24 PM

Definitely mix ITB. I recommend Blue Sky System 1, as they will not break the bank, and they translate pretty well. Also, Neyrinck .Sound .Code for encoding AC3. This will give you not only a good encoder, but a great reference decoder, and you can punch into your ac3 encoded files, which is a big time saver for little tweaks.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:51 PM

Hi Alecio
Regarding your point about the Yamaha 02r96v2.
You will have to run it in remote layer mode for the pro tools automation to work, and in this mode the joystick on the board doesnt work with pro tools. You will have to use the surround panner within Pro Tools (or buy a dedicated panner external option which I dont have so I couldnt recommend). I tried for ages to get the joystick to work and was told by Yamaha direct that it is NOT supported in Remote layer.
So mix I mix on the Yamaha in remote mode which does all the fader, plug in adjusts etc etc, monitoring etc but not the surround pan. (NB normal pan does follow desk to Pt or PT to desk)
Peter
Old 08-09-2007, 01:41 AM

Hi,
about monitors - indeed it really depends on what you are going to do - BlueSky, Dynaudio, or perhaps 5.1 Lipinski setup
about Yamaha - it is really sad, that onboard joystick is not supported in remote layer ; I would suggest, you put your console in 5.1 slot mode and use it as a monitoring controller; be carefull about bass management and speakers' delay; the manual should explain everything, as it is written in a very simple language...
regards
Kuba
Old 08-10-2007, 07:26 PM

Many thanks, folks.
Up to now, 11 years have passed and I have been doing mostly independent stuff, as a producer, engineer.
Now there might be a wind of change to work with some live dvd shows. I have done very few movie production, just 2.0.

a)Concerning the folks who mentioned he does lot of 5.1 and does not have a Mastering 6000, I guess you mean someone else masters your stuff?Do you use let us say a Waves bundle for this?

b)Do you think that the 02R96 mix buss is all that bad, that would not benefit your mixes with a wider stereo image. Sorry, I have just arrived at HD2 Accel. I am thinking in terms of mix gear, where I really did not enjoy working ITB. My mixes with the 02R always sounded wider, although not so clean.

c)What other utilities and plug-ins you guys recommend me for having a finished 5.1 reference dvd ( with dolby, dts)

d)Do you use 8 outs of a 192 I/o (going analog to amps/passive monitors), 192 I/O digital going to digital monitors?

Thanks again

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:

a)Concerning the folks who mentioned he does lot of 5.1 and does not have a Mastering 6000, I guess you mean someone else masters your stuff?Do you use let us say a Waves bundle for this?

There is no "mastering" process after the mix.
Unless it's a Dolby printmaster. At which point the Dolby comes in with the DMU, and creates the MOD.

What is it you mean when you say "mastering".

IMDB Credits
Old 08-11-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
What is it you mean when you say "mastering".
Sounds like he's mixing music, not film, Hench. Apples and oranges.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Sounds like he's mixing music, not film, Hench. Apples and oranges.
Oranges & Lemons.

Alecio, you should listen to the sound of the HD -- it is an improvement over MIX.

you will have to find speakers that allow you to make mixes that translate. i did not like the BM5's. i am curious about the Other Dyn's. i have heard them in other studios and than can really good.

as you surround mastering, it is tricky, and expensive. you may find that the plug-ins that you use for stereo work work great as multi-mono plugs. 5 or 6 channels of a outboard gear is a lot of money.

Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash