Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 03:52 AM

Default A question about automating eq

Hi Ive a question relating to automating eq.

Ive finished a timeline with eq written to some parameters along the way (but not all eq parameters every time)
Now I wish to go to the head of the timeline and write some new eq in touch latch mode (that way i dont need to hold the value on the mouse to the end of the required part (ie everything except the later written eq).

Now im finding that the changes Ive made to the later eq have been overwritten or added to as Im in touch latch.
How can I ring fence these later eqs so that the early touch latch eq is written up to but not over the later eq.
Ive tried "write automation to next breakpoint" in the automation enable window, but say a Lf lift will be added to the downstream eq if no eq was previously written to the Lf as there is no breakpoint on that function.

Sorry its a bit garbled

Peter
Old 08-08-2007, 04:02 AM

Default Re: A question about automating eq

You can make a selection, with automation in preview mode. Once you get the eq set, you can do a write to all, and it will write the eq value to your selection. Also, at the beginning and end of your session, make sure you write breakpoints to all enabled eq parameters.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:50 AM

Hi Pat
where is this " make sure you write breakpoints to all enabled eq parameters. "
Peter
Old 08-08-2007, 11:50 AM

Hi Peter,
There are two (or more) ways to do this. What I do is enable all the parameters on the eq and then select the whole timeline and either write the default setting or the chosen preset to the whole track using alt+apple+/. You can also do this by putting the track in write mode making sure "plugin" is enabled in the automation window and press play and then click the write to start and end button in the automation window. This writes the "anchor" setting all over the tracks so you can then tweak in touch mode and when finished it will return to this setting. Do this on all plugins you are going to automate at the beginning of the session, that way you can adjust the plugins for specific sections and have it return to the default setting when you are finished. Hope this helps
Old 08-08-2007, 12:03 PM

Hi garrett
And can you do this on a track by track basis, as I usually find my plug ins grow as the session / timeline develops depending on what i need to achieve along the way.

So to be clear, this process you explained (which Ill try tomorrow) will put a marker on the start of every parameter automatable, so i can write an automation to the next auto event but not add to or write over it?

Cheers
Peter
Old 08-08-2007, 12:13 PM

Peter,
Yes on a track by track basis and even if you already have plugins on the track. All you have to do is click the automation safe button on the plugins you don't want to change.
The process basically writes anchor breakpoints at the start and end of the session so it has somewhere to return to when you tweak. If you don't do this, every time you make a change it will remain that way untill you make another as there is no anchor breakpoints to return to.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:07 PM

Snapshot Automation
Old 08-08-2007, 07:17 PM

Peter, what version are you running? I'm not sure of preview mode is in LE, but it enables you to tweak only the parameters you want to tweak, but will still play back the un-primed parameters as they are written. This way, you don't have to globally disable automation; which is much nicer because the rest of your mix will play the proper automation values.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:53 PM

Its a TDM on 7.3.1
Peter
Old 08-09-2007, 03:50 AM

'You can also do this by putting the track in write mode making sure "plugin" is enabled in the automation window and press play and then click the write to start and end button in the automation window.'

guys, Im sorry to crash the thread. I have ask, where's this 'write to start and end' option.., does it pop up AFTER you press play???

I have some student movies coming up (there here) and I was just going to sort of 'write to automtion' and reading this has sort of confused me in the sense I dont understan the differance between wriing the automation in real time, or tweaking the time line parameters in the track layout.., or, what you are talkig about hre, sort of sounds like locking the automation in or taking a snapshot of it??

I dont understand why you do it like that? has this got something to do with bouncing a track?

as I said, sorry to crash the thread.

M

I Mac 24 inch screen, tiger 10.4.11, CPU dual core 2.16ghz, 2 gig ram, UB.
PT 7.3.6. M Box2