Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2012, 03:05 PM

Default AVB Protocol

I am understanding that the AVB protocol works across networked switches. Is this correct? In the NAMM interview the gentleman refers to "other devices" being on the network. Not sure if he is referring to other AVB devices or other network devices such as a laptop, printer, etc.

If it does work across switches then you should be able to convert from copper to fiber and achieve distances longer than 100 meters. Of course it is another point of failure, but a do-able solution to achieve longer runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKTY4...2&feature=plcp

GO TO 1:44 on the timeline.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 AM

Default Re: AVB Protocol

Can't wait to see the future.. with Meyer, Shure, Senn, Yamaha, Avid, whole Harman group and many others in the AVnu Alliance I wonder what they are really doing in the labs, what kind of fanken-systems they are already testing
Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 AM

But this might answer your question for now:

Q: Can I use Ethernet bridges (switches, routers) or connect my SC48 Remote System to a regular Ethernet network?

A: SC48 Remote Systems are only qualified for use with direct (home run) cable configurations. Alternate configurations may be qualified for use in the future, as Ethernet AVB bridges become more readily available. A regular (non-Ethernet AVB) switch must not be used.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:01 PM

I was thinking that was the case.

It will be really cool to see where this technology and alliance takes the industry.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Just wondering how is AVB doing?

Here is a video of Sheldon showing a prototype AVB card for Profile that is now over a year old. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox1pnzPThhI

I see Yamaha being a AVnu Alliance member too, but their new set of live sound mixing systems use Dante. Shure, a AVnu member, still I just got a ProSoundWeb news in my inbox about them adding Dante features to their ULX-D Series.

So, question is, why no AVB?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:04 AM

AVB is an emerging standard for multimedia networking and control. It will be an IEEE 802.1 standard that will have participating members that range from network hardware manufacturers, chip/PHY manufacturers, pro and consumer A/V manufacturers, as well as automobile manufacturers. Alot of weight behind this.

Check out AVNU's member page:
http://www.avnu.org/about_us/our_members

Audinate (Dante) is fully AVB compliant. See bottom of this page:
http://www.audinate.com/index.php?op...d=92&Itemid=92

Hypothetically...In the future...A/V interconects that are AVB compliant will allow an AVID stage box to route audio to and from a local processing box, and to and from any AVB enabled device (Lake Dante box to CAMCO V8 Uman amplifiers for example). Since this is going to be a networking standard, bridging of otherwise non-homogenous networks will be possible.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshop View Post
Audinate (Dante) is fully AVB compliant. See bottom of this page:
http://www.audinate.com/index.php?op...d=92&Itemid=92

Aah, thats what it is, thanks for the link! So, does it mean that once Steinberg comes out with Nuendo Live, we could hook our AVB-ready SC48 stage racks to a AVB-ready switch, connect a laptop running Dante virtual soundcard to the same switch and record away?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 AM

The future for AVB deployments is wide open. As to your theoretical recording set-up, I doubt that AVID will ever support any sort of merging of any other endpoint hardware on the AVB based Stage 48 'snake'. While it may be possible, due to performance and redundancy concerns - the 'snake' should probably be left to doing just that - being a 'snake', not a network i/o bridge point.

AVB ports would likely start showing up on expansion cards for FOH/Stage/MixRack, SC48 local and maybe Stage 48....that's where you would hook up your lapper with Steinberg.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshop View Post
The future for AVB deployments is wide open. As to your theoretical recording set-up, I doubt that AVID will ever support any sort of merging of any other endpoint hardware on the AVB based Stage 48 'snake'. While it may be possible, due to performance and redundancy concerns - the 'snake' should probably be left to doing just that - being a 'snake', not a network i/o bridge point.

AVB ports would likely start showing up on expansion cards for FOH/Stage/MixRack, SC48 local and maybe Stage 48....that's where you would hook up your lapper with Steinberg.
Hmm, I thought the whole idea of networked systems to be that you can just hook up to the network and get the signal right away. Looking at the Yamaha system diagram, there you can see a way to hook your PC (or two) to the primary switch and off you go with the recording...
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global...l_ph02_pop.jpg
Old 06-21-2012, 11:39 AM

Concerning the original poster's question...
Check out Scovill talking about using a LabX Titanium 411 to extend the Stage 48 snake with fiber:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Rj5CjE#t=1060s
(pause video when page loads so you can look at the diagram)

LabX builds the bits for the MADI FOH card, and AVID partnered with them to build the AVB interface for the Stage 48. The Titanium 411 would be your best and perhaps only option to date to extend with fiber.

The schematic for the Stage 48/SC48 hookup differs from what is shown on the non-AVB Yamaha CL 'network' diagram. The 2 CL stage boxes are merged onto one switch and then routed to the desk. In contrast, the two Stage 48 boxes are home run to the desk. Perhaps the local SC48 snake card is a dual two port AVB switch on the front-end, don't know.

I still doubt that AVID will support connecting other AVB endpoint devices (recorders/consoles etc...) to the Stage 48 snake, however using a LabX 411 switch for example to 'tunnel' non-AVB traffic to monitor/control speaker processing or amplifiers - that would be useful!