Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2014, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Is it just me?

The release notes claim that it does, however it's not looking good. I filled out a ticket with avid, we'll see what happens. I might be returning his thing...if I can't get it to work, does anybody have any suggestions as to other control surfaces in this price range?
Old 07-14-2014, 03:05 AM

I take it you have no onboard ethernet connections on the Macbook? Why they ever dropped it is beyond me.

Using a USB to ethernet adaptor sets off alarm bells for me. I have only ever had success with EuCon & Avid Artist series... but then again, I only have ever attempted to use onboard ethernet connections.

Have you tried using a thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor instead of a USB to ethernet one?

And just to confirm - you are creating a separate network for EuCon right? One for your internet and stuff... and another for Eucon... with completely segregated IP's?

I slapped together a few tips for EuCon here. Its nothing revolutionary, and still a work in progress but it may come in handy.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:08 AM

I remember reading somewhere that the ethernet-thunderbolt wasn't supported, however it appears ethernet-usb isn't either. I'll give avid support a couple days to get back to me, otherwise it's going to be sent back. In the meantime, I'm definitely open to other suggestions for control surfaces in this price range...although I really do wish the artist mix would cooperate.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:19 PM

Yes...
Work well here with Maverick (10.9.4) with Eucon 3.1.3 and Pt Hd 11.2
Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schecter321 View Post
I remember reading somewhere that the ethernet-thunderbolt wasn't supported, however it appears ethernet-usb isn't either. I'll give avid support a couple days to get back to me, otherwise it's going to be sent back. In the meantime, I'm definitely open to other suggestions for control surfaces in this price range...although I really do wish the artist mix would cooperate.
I found this thread about using USB to Ethernet adaptors - http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=273278

I am still inclined to think that the issue exists with the adaptor, rather than the Artist series.

Give it a spin and see if it works.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schecter321 View Post
Something different is happening now...Now I have a network error. But this is progress!
ok whilst I aint mavericks yet -

I *do* get a network error pretty often.. ie every time after a restart ofr log out..

go to the first tab of the EUcon app - i.e. surfaces..

you see your surface listed there? make sure its selected

press remove - then immediately add it back.. ( sometimes u may need to wait before u can. keep an eye on it - cos if if u leave it too long u will get the network error again..

sometimes I have to do it a few times - sometimes using the 2nd tab 'workstations'

hope that works for u 2! after I do it it usually works until next log out ..

Last edited by fork-media; 07-15-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-16-2014, 09:51 AM

Well, I figured I could use the macbook somewhere else in my life, so I ordered a loaded mac mini. With a built in ethernet port things might be a little easier. So when that arrives, maybe friday or monday, I should be good to hook. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 07-16-2014, 06:40 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a thunderbolt to Ethernet adaptor. A USB adaptor works completely differently though and should be avoided.

TB sits on the PCIe bus the same as an Ethernet adapter would, whereas USB has to go through the chipset and is susceptible to timing and stability issues, depending on what else is on the same hub.

And they removed the Ethernet connector from MacBooks because it takes up a lot of space, that makes sense because thunderbolt can practically run any modern protocol with an adapter.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
And they removed the Ethernet connector from MacBooks because it takes up a lot of space, that makes sense because thunderbolt can practically run any modern protocol with an adapter.
Thats a can of worms I think.

Thunderbolt only saves you space if you don't need to use any of its peripherals. As soon as you add something like a superdrive and a thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor you suddenly have a system that takes up more desk space than a 2008 white macbook...

...and the white macbook still has a mini VGA output and a firewire port to boot.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Thats a can of worms I think.

Thunderbolt only saves you space if you don't need to use any of its peripherals. As soon as you add something like a superdrive and a thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor you suddenly have a system that takes up more desk space than a 2008 white macbook...

...and the white macbook still have a mini VGA output and a firewire port to boot.
yes, and most people don't need those things so it *absolutely* makes sense to have a tiny connector for them on a very thin notebook. And they do make thunderbolt docks with every connector imaginable if you have a lot of legacy gear. Bulky optical media is on its way out.

Just the thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor doesn't take much more space than the cable itself.