Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-23-2009, 01:36 AM

Default How to commit?

Thanks all and anyone willing to answer this post. This is my first post on this forum. I have been a long time DAW user Cubase,Nuendo and the last few years Logic. I just started using a Pro Tools 7.4 (HD-2) last October. Not my gear but a studio I do a lot work for. I bought a used Mbox 2 with 7.4 that I use at home. Although I still enjoy working in Logic I'd like to get deeper into Pro Tools.

So here is my question. Is it wise to invest in a HD system (HD2) I'd need a minimum of 24 I/O?
I do all kinds of music from singer songwriter stuff to rock and Jazz bands. As well electronica/dance, pop/r&b. I mix both ITB and OTB depends on the project. I am a long time Mac guy since 1994 and will buying a new Mac pro soon too.
Or with Cpu's being so powerful now should I just get a 003r and max it out with all of the digi add-on kits?

Thanks a lot looking forward to your advice an opinions.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:28 AM

Default Re: How to commit?

You can get 32 i/o with a HD1 also, but I do agree that HD2 is the way to go for mixing. Just be sure you buy into PCI-EXPRESS even if you had to buy a new host computer. The crossgrade price for changing old PCIX cards to new ones is ridiculously high.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:25 AM

This is an argument that has been going on since the late 1990's...every time computers become more powerful, so do the needs on the computer, the plugins, the software, etc. I'm a recording engineer myself, I have (2) ProToolsHD3 Accel systems as well as a few native systems.....aside from that, I design recording facilities and home studios as well as personal studios for artists, etc. I can honestly say that you do NOT have to have ProTools to record and product a professional product....and by that I'm referring to both LE as well as HD. HOWEVER, there are some distinct advantages to ProTools in terms of work-flow, editing, dependability, plugins and support, etc.....and when it comes to HD, it's a no compromise solution. Having real-time DSP monitoring with the plugins running, as many channels as you need, to have as much I/O as you need, sample-accurate..... The way the automation works in ProTools is absolutely the BEST automation system there is, IMHO. Most movie soundtracks over the years have been mixed in ProTools for this very reason. Because of my position, I speak to an insane amount of people...and not a single one of them has ever regretted the move to ProToolsHD----MYSELF included, because I used to be "one of those guys" that always thought natively I could do so much. Well, you can run a great deal of plugins----but they won't be as good as they are in ProToolsHD, likewise the summing engine in PTHD is superior to just about everything else. There are soooo many differences aside from the price---but if quality and guaranteed rock-solid dependability is important to you, well it's your choice.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:01 PM

Thank you both very much for your replies. Yes I have been witness to the rock solidness of a HD rig. Very comforting while under the gun on a project. That said as well the post above yes a pro project can be done native too. I know because I have done many. I am still not one for tracking with plug-ins native or TDM. So that is not an issue for me anyway. Track count and i/o and workflow is what I am after. The super low latency rocks as well. I still like Logic better for composing and creating songs however, that may change we will see. Okay so newbie question HD-1/HD-2 versus HD-1/HD-2 accel?
Whats the difference?
Old 04-23-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisblanc View Post
Thank you both very much for your replies. Yes I have been witness to the rock solidness of a HD rig. Very comforting while under the gun on a project. That said as well the post above yes a pro project can be done native too. I know because I have done many. I am still not one for tracking with plug-ins native or TDM. So that is not an issue for me anyway. Track count and i/o and workflow is what I am after. The super low latency rocks as well. I still like Logic better for composing and creating songs however, that may change we will see. Okay so newbie question HD-1/HD-2 versus HD-1/HD-2 accel?
Whats the difference?
Accel cards are more powerful! almost 2 times more processing depending on the plugins used. also some plugins only run on an accel chip! revibe/Impact and a few others.

The PCIe host cards are accel as well, the earlier PCIx host cards are not accel.

You'll need at least an HD2 for a decent track count with delay compensation. all new PCIe systems are accel. the original process cards are all PCIx so won't work in the new computers with PCIe etc, if you run at 96k then you'll definitely need HD2 accel to get a serious big mix going.

LE isn't possible for 24 i/o so for that you'll have to go HD.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:26 PM

To further elaborate, the core card in any HD Accel system is the same as what was in the previous HD system. The only difference is there is a special chip that allows it to be see as the main system card, so that PTHD will boot up. When you get to the Accel card, a major improvement was made. On the HD Core and original HD cards, there are (9) DSP chips each of which are 100MHz processing. When you get to the Accel cards, the first (2) chips are that same 100MHz, but the other (7) chips are 220MHz, therefore providing far more processing. Okay.....that said, I absolutely NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER recommend my clients to purchase only an HD1 core unless one of the conditions below apply:

-They are purely tracking, not mixing, and don't need a lot of processing to do so.
-They are editing video, needing PTHD for editing
-Doing Voiceover, SORT OF...some plugins require an Accel Card
-It is absolutely without question the ONLY POSSIBLE way they could possibly get into ProToolsHD, and understand it will cost a heck of a lot more money later to buy an Accel Card

Understand that the larger core system you purchase up-front, the more plugins you receive---and that is a MAJOR part of a ProToolsHD system. Would you buy a Ferrari and put the cheapest possible tires on it? But even a bigger issue is that of those (9) chips, one gets taken up immediately for the mixer DSP and another for delay compensation, before you even get to any plugins. And some plugins will take an entire chip, soooooo you can see it gets real limited real quick. The bare minimum you should get should be an HD2 Accel, but if you can spring for an HD3 Accel---the plugins that come with it make up for it by a mile. But let's face it, I understand we all have budgets.....so go for what best fits your budget.

Not knowing your setup---please don't forget the front-end, because having a PTHD system but not having the pres and mics in-front of it is like having that same Ferrari and keeping it in the garage because you can't afford the insurance due to running out of money to buy the car.