Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 AM

Exclamation HELP!! Bouncing-in-place by recording to new audio tracks - delay comp problem

Hi,

I am having a major struggle. I need to render/freeze/bounce-in-place all the tracks in a number of pro tools sessions so that I can transfer individual files to the other producer with EQ/compression/etc printed to the tracks (similar to the logic function of export all tracks as audio files). He is working in Logic so I can't just send the Pro Tools session.

That's beside the point anyway - I need to do multiple tracks in one pass or it will take me forever. The problem is that I can't get the delay compensation to work right so whatever I do the tracks are all out of alignment with each other. I have tried using auto delay compensation, turning off auto low latency monitoring and low latency monitoring option is off. I have also tried manually compensating with delay plugins. That doesn't seem to work either.

Any help would be massively appreciated - otherwise I'll have to try and bounce every track one at a time, if that will work. I'm sure other people have used this workflow but can't find other posts with the same problem.

Cheers,

Danny
Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 AM

Default Re: HELP!! Bouncing-in-place by recording to new audio tracks - delay comp problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybigmoose View Post
Hi,

I am having a major struggle. I need to render/freeze/bounce-in-place all the tracks in a number of pro tools sessions so that I can transfer individual files to the other producer with EQ/compression/etc printed to the tracks (similar to the logic function of export all tracks as audio files). He is working in Logic so I can't just send the Pro Tools session.

That's beside the point anyway - I need to do multiple tracks in one pass or it will take me forever. The problem is that I can't get the delay compensation to work right so whatever I do the tracks are all out of alignment with each other. I have tried using auto delay compensation, turning off auto low latency monitoring and low latency monitoring option is off. I have also tried manually compensating with delay plugins. That doesn't seem to work either.

Any help would be massively appreciated - otherwise I'll have to try and bounce every track one at a time, if that will work. I'm sure other people have used this workflow but can't find other posts with the same problem.

Cheers,

Danny
Hi,

The best way to do it is to create as many new tracks as you need to record all the tracks in the session. So if it's say a 24 track session then create 24 new tracks. Now simply route track one in your session using busses to the first new track you created, then same for track 2 and so on till all 24 tracks are routed to the 24 new tracks. Place new tracks into record and voila! All tracks should now be recorded with processing and at mix level.

Go to audio folder and select the 24 newly recorded files and send to logic owner.

If youre routing some tracks through busses? Drum bus, guitar bus etc, then you'll have to do those tracks individually if you want the processing on the buss channels.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:43 AM

Default Re: HELP!! Bouncing-in-place by recording to new audio tracks - delay comp problem

Hi Chris,

Thanks - this is exactly what I was doing - choosing route to; track; new track; audio, etc... (which routes via busses anyway I think). AFter this was done for each of the audio tracks I recorded a pass and all the tracks were out of alignment, as if they had been recorded without delay compensation, though it was on...

Any ideas?? My only one so far is to copy a click to the first beat of each track and then manually align in Logic... (

Cheers,

Danny
Old 12-30-2012, 12:19 PM

Perhaps your ADC is set to short and needs to be long, perhaps you are over taxing the plug ins and its past the amount? Other than that, this is pretty weird.
Try this, take one track and bounce soloed, then another and see if they line up.
Im curious to know...
Old 12-30-2012, 12:30 PM

Hi,

The ADC is set to long, and isn't topping out. I'll try them one at a time and see what happens.

Cheers,

Danny
Old 12-30-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Hi Chris,

Thanks - this is exactly what I was doing - choosing route to; track; new track; audio, etc... (which routes via busses anyway I think). AFter this was done for each of the audio tracks I recorded a pass and all the tracks were out of alignment, as if they had been recorded without delay compensation, though it was on...

Any ideas?? My only one so far is to copy a click to the first beat of each track and then manually align in Logic... (

Cheers,

Danny
Hi,

You are routing to the new track via the track outputs? and not using sends!!!

if all tracks are routed directly to new tracks they should all align ok!

You could try bypassing the ADC on the new tracks (I think its apple+control+click on the delay numbers at the bottom of the track and they should turn blue to indicate its not using delay comp! I'm going from memory here as i use a control surface and can't remember the exact modifier keys!!)

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:46 PM

First question: why does he need all your EQ and compression? He can do it all in Logic. Assuming you have a good reason(maybe he's just lazy), have you thought about calling up the AudioSuite versions of your EQ and compression and processing the audio in place? That would negate any need for ADC as processed audio SHOULD be spot on for timing. Each of your inserted plugins could have the settings saved as a preset for recall in the AS version of the same plugin

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-30-2012, 02:40 PM

I tried with the ADC off and on - still no luck. When I import the audio files into Logic the files don't line up, or even whilst still in PT for that matter. I have taken to adding clicks at first two grid points of every track when recording in place to ensure I can see the alignment and they're definitely off. If I have to, I guess I can use the transients of the clicks to grid them in Logic, but surely I'm missing something here...

Yes I do need to retain the EQ, compression (and actually also levels, parallel EQ/comp on auxes and the results of some automation) - the producer needs to be able to set his own reverbs/delays and automate them, add some extra elements, etc but keep the main tone/balance of the mix and just tweak a little from there. Bit of a complicated workflow I'm afraid. Thanks for the AudioSuite tip - unfortunately unless there is a way to do multiple plugins at once (like AS-ing the whole track - no, wait, that would be freezing/offline bounce in place - come on Avid, most other DAWs are years ahead here) the need to do 4/5/6 passes on a bunch of tracks and still be missing levels and automation means it's a bit of a non-runner.

I'm not sure why this is so much of a faff...
Old 12-30-2012, 08:05 PM

It boils down to RTAS. By design, its real time only(Real Time Audio Suite). Its just the way Pro Tools works(and maybe why its not for everybody, much the same as Logic is not for everybody) You can AudioSuite an entire track. Assuming its a bunch of snippets, just drag across the entire thing and render your first AS plugin(EQ for instance) and voila; you now have a single new audio file with your EQ committed

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-31-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:

Yes I do need to retain the EQ, compression (and actually also levels, parallel EQ/comp on auxes and the results of some automation) -

I'm not sure why this is so much of a faff...
Hi,

The tracks going through the aux busses? How are you doing these?

Basically any point in your mix where the final path is the master output! This should be the place where you route to your new track?

I use this procedure quite a lot when I get sent mixes where they want to keep their automation moves and or processing etc. I route everything to new tracks and record as I indicated above and it works fine, so I don't know why it's not working for you

If you're stuck and need some help with this? I'm back to Brighton at the weekend, I live in Hove

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com