Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-15-2002, 01:13 AM

Default Before I jump into XP

I've searched DUC and got some good advice on upgrading to XP but there's still one thing I'm not sure on.
When you talk about upgrading with a fresh install, do you mean a fresh install of 98SE (which I use now ) followed by XP Home or ditching 98 and installing XP Pro? I understand that using Home will give me the option of a dual boot, which I figured could be handy if I have problem with XP.
I have to reformat my C drive anyhow for other reasons so neither option would be any more hassle than the other.
Appreciate your comments.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Before I jump into XP

Steps to upgrading to WIN XP:

1. Go buy Norton Ghost 2002, and make a Image File of your current C drive configuration. This program is a LIFESAVER, and will allow you to restore your entire system in just a few minutes - even if the install goes to hell in a handbasket. HIGHLY recommended!

2. Wipe the C drive - do a complete reformat. Even if you're using a "update" version of XP, you can do this as long as you have your old WIN 98se or ME CD disk to confirm you're "eligible" to use the upgrade XP disk. BTW, I prefer NTFS for the C disk and FAT 32 for the D (audio only) drive - but either is just fine for your drives.

3. Install XP as per the instructions - no need to do a "clean" install of 98 / ME first. Make sure you make a Ghost image of your XP install as soon as you get it up and running and all your programs installed and running to your satisfaction - if disaster strikes later (HDD crash, etc), you'll be covered.

4. Have fun! XP ROCKS!
Old 10-15-2002, 06:37 AM

every time i try to do a disc image of my drive, it tells me that i have run out of space in the place that i am copying it to, and to put in media that has more space. this is strange because i am backing it up to another partition on a drive that is empty. when it tells me it is full, i go and check the place where i have placed the image, and it has only taken up a gig or two. the partition is 40 gigs. ive had people tell me that ghost doesnt work in xp, but that cant be the case if y'all are ghosting your drives. i just dont get it, which sucks completely. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2002, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jivebrown:
ive had people tell me that ghost doesnt work in xp, but that cant be the case if y'all are ghosting your drives. i just dont get it, which sucks completely. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ghost doesn't work with XP. As Phil stated above, Ghost 2002 does work with XP.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2
- PreSonus Studio 24c
- MBox 3 Mini
- Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Behringer X32 Producer
- PT 2018.12 (vanilla)
- Various USB2/3 and Firewire hard drives
Old 10-15-2002, 08:44 PM

I also have been lazy in installing XP...well I have it for my other pc and installed it. But for my audio PC i haven't done it yet because of all the info on my system and audio harddrives. So you folks are saying there is an easier way of saving all that info and files to where all I have to do is reformat the system, install XP, and then reload all my info from the saved info.

Can you run this by me or even link me to a step by step site.

Thanks

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 10-16-2002, 12:59 AM

Thanks Phill ... that's it then! Here we go ....