Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 10-25-2020, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Perpetual Licence Gone !!

and another one...
Old 10-26-2020, 06:48 AM

Default Cancelled Perpetual Licence for Crossgrade

So im guessing I'm one of all the people feeling fooled by the perpetual licence "cancelled". I bought the "Pro Tools Crossgrade" a year ago with my only expectation to get updates for a year and then continue on with my perpetual licence. I paid around 130 $ for the "upgrade" licence. But before that I paid for the full PT 10 licence back in the days, and then a crossgrade to 12. So I have invested a lot of money and time in Pro Tools. And I get it, i have agreed somehow to cancelling the perpetual licence... but WHO would do something like that, paying in total around 700$ for licences just to have it cancelled for a upgrade plan. And in times like these, with corona. Money is at worst for producers. I have always loved PT, always tried to get people who is about to start with DAW's choosing PT. But with this coming at me... I dont know. I want to say "Im gonna go with another DAW"... But, It's so much time invested in Pro Tools. So many years of .ptx sessions saved. But I really consider it, I really do.

I contacted Avid Customer Care and they replied "To continue using the product, you'll need to purchase a new perpetual license...".

Is there anything i could do? I work almost for free these days and cant afford a perpetual licence. Im at a really low state and this could be devastating for my producing career. Especially in times like these.

Last edited by jeffro; 12-07-2020 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Resolved via support case.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:21 AM

Default Cancelled Perpetual Licence for Crossgrade

I really feel for you man. A close personal friend of mine in addition to countless people on the forums are experiencing this problem. The cross great option is a complete and misleading scam.

There should have been a warning or disclaimer stating that “ you are agreeing to surrender your perpetual license by buying this cross grade”.

This would be a great opportunity for a class action lawsuit so if there are any lawyers that are also into audio production they should consider heading that up.

Your only option now is to pony up for the new perpetual license or be their hostage and pay them the annual fee.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:25 PM

Is there any one here from Avid that can assist me as your Customer support are not helpful at all.

I have explained my situation quite clearly and the response is to inform me that I purchased the cross grade and the reason I can't use Pro Tools is because I cancelled auto renewal !!

I'm sorry but this is the most unhelpful response I could ever have received and it beggars belief that this could be allowed to happen.

So if there is anyone on this forum from Avid I would be grateful for any productive assistance you could give here.

Thank You
Old 10-27-2020, 05:08 AM

I'm a victim too! I'm seriously thinking of boycotting Pro Tools!

Last edited by jeffro; 12-07-2020 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Resolved via support case.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_uk View Post
Last month I decided to not go for any more upgrades and thought I could just carry on using my perpetual licence. I have since discovered that I had paid for a cross grade!!! I am now unable to use Pro Tools and it looks like I surrendered my licence (unintentionally) for a cross grade subscription
There are occational visits from Avid folks here, and I've seen people helped out of license problem situations here before. I really hope you get help soon.

Meanwhile can anyone outline what to do, or not to do, to avoid this pitfall? The upgrade plan for my PT perpetual license is coming up, and I want to not renew, and continue on the current version.

Added:
OK. After reading more posts about this, like: Cancelled Perpetual Licence for Crossgrade, it seems that people who have this problem have all been (mis)led to understand that "Crossgrade" would not give up their perpetual license.

I guess what I should do is just sit still in the boat and let the "Update/support plan" expire, and my perpetual will remain perpetual.
And I guess "Crossgrade" equals surrender any license you got for a subscription license.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 10-27-2020 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Added stuff.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:46 PM

Exactly what Ben said, Crossgrade=Surrender

Don’t renew and simply use your perpetual license well...perpetually instead of giving it back to Avid.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:49 PM

Hi Ben, The best advice I can give you is to hold on to your Perpetual Licence and make the most of what you already have.

I don't think Im going to get anywhere with Avid and consequently reverting back to Cubase as I have no other choice (Cant use Pro Tools)

Won't be saying too much for the moment as I need to give Avid the opportunity first to rectify this.

All the best

Johnny
Old 10-27-2020, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Unintentional Crossgrade Perpetual License

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
We have tried to make this clear... when you select a crossgrade in my.avid.com/products it shows "Trade in your Perpetual license for a Subscription and SAVE 50% off standard price for the first 2 YEARS" and clicking Buy Now posts "Please note: When selecting the “Crossgrade” option to move from a Perpetual license to a discounted Subscription you will be required to trade in your Perpetual license. The Crossgrade is not a renewal for your current Perpetual Software Updates + Support Plan." Did your friend start a support case?

My friend did not open a case but if you feel there is equitable resolution by doing so I will suggest it to him to do just that.

I think it’s also evident that enough people are making this mistake and that something is not very clear.

I think you have a lot of users who are used to simply clicking on the drop-down box and picking the $99 option. If you guys had made the cross grade $89 for example or $109 I think it would have made people think twice but by picking the same exact price that everyone has been paying year after year therein lies the rub.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:23 AM

Still no one from Avid that would like to assist?