Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 11:47 PM

Default STRIKE issues aaarrrgh!

Every time I drag the export midi feature as described in the manual it plays back fills instead of the verse or chorus that I just played. What am I doing wrong here? I read the manual numerous times and still no usable midi files in the protools midi track??? Please enlighten me on this so I can actually make music instead of pulling whats left of my hair out. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Re: STRIKE issues aaarrrgh!

Don't feel to disheartened, this is a known issue. Try minimizing the amount of Patterns exported, in other words, export smaller sections, dragging to the Timeline first and then to the Region List and out to the existing tracks.

filosofem
Old 10-24-2007, 05:30 PM

The timeline? Every time I try this it does nothing unless I drag it to a midi track. I have been trying 1 complete pattern only like 4 bars or so and it shows up and plays back as a fill or something completely different. I am new to pro tolls somewhat. Could you give me an idiot proof description. Very much appreciated. Thanks for your input as well.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:48 PM

You need to drag the Export MIDI button onto the Tracks view on the left hand side of the Edit window OR onto an empty space on the timeline (typically, below your bottom-most track. You should get an import tracks dialog similar to when you import audio to tracks. If you don't get this dialog, you didn't Export MIDI correctly. You don't want to drag the Export MIDI button ON to a MIDI/instrument track.
Access Virus TI Polar :: M-Audio Profire 2626 :: UAD-2 Duo :: UAD-1
Old 10-24-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I have been trying 1 complete pattern only like 4 bars or so and it shows up and plays back as a fill or something completely different.
Hmmm... try deleting the DAE Preferences and reboot, then reconfigure the Strike Configurations and select maybe three Patterns, say, an Intro, a Chorus and then a Fill and try to export this.

filosofem
Old 10-25-2007, 10:54 AM

I've found for me that using the pencil tool on an instrument track to write my parts are the fastest and easiest way since strike is setup to be triggered from a keyboard - again that's what I've found for me as it allows me to go back later and tweak the parts as I see fit - I'm loving how versatile and easy it is to work ( of course once you find the way that works for you)

remember that white keys are patterns and black keys are fills if you try this method - single hits are on the upper register of the keyboard

Thanks,
marllee
Old 10-25-2007, 09:45 PM

I have tried these things and got further as far as the dialogue box showing up and tracks for each intrument being made. The darn pattern is still different than the 1 button I pushed on my keyboard. How is it possible to actually use this program in the way it was intended? I almost regret not buying another program as this is almost useless. Is there a way to export the midi info on 1 track instead of individual instruments? I am not new to midi programming as I have used Sonar for 10 years and never had this many issues. I just weant the program to be able to succesfully export the pattern I chose. Is this so difficult. Why would a company release a program that does not do what it is claiming to do? I really liked the idea of this program but it is very frustrating when your drummer does not show up so you buy a program to replace him and it doesnt show up in the track view. DAMN DRUMMERS!
Old 10-25-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
The darn pattern is still different than the 1 button I pushed on my keyboard.
What Strike version are you running and have you tried a reinstall? Did you delete the DAE Preferences and reconfigure the Strike Configurations?
Quote:
How is it possible to actually use this program in the way it was intended?
Are you replacing the samples?
Quote:
Is there a way to export the midi info on 1 track instead of individual instruments?
Not that I'm aware of.
Quote:
Why would a company release a program that does not do what it is claiming to do?
Fair comment.

filosofem
Old 10-26-2007, 08:51 AM

I am running the latest version with cs update last week.
When I push the key it triggers the right sound but when I export midi it exports something completely different. Wouldn't the dae preferences wipe out my previous work on saved mixes and kits? I can deal with everything being on seperate tracks and may be able to export midi from pro tools as a different format like format 1 or format 0 then re-import back into pro tools. I will just place one long midi note on the corresponding trigger on a midi track for now but I cant see that being the best for mixdown. Hopefully Digidesign will fixx these bugs soon
Old 10-26-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
When I push the key it triggers the right sound but when I export midi it exports something completely different.
I must admit this is the first time I've heard of this sort of bug, normally, it's incomplete patterns when exporting, though, does export the correct pattern. Have you filled out a 'Bug Report'?
Quote:
Wouldn't the dae preferences wipe out my previous work on saved mixes and kits?
No, DAE (Digidesign Audio Engine) can be seen as the Pro Tools operating system and sometimes strange files can make their way into the DAE folder and deleting this refreshes the DAE folder if you like.

Though, for future reference, I'd save the Plug-In Setting to the current Pro Tools Session for fear of losing such information.
Quote:
I can deal with everything being on seperate tracks and may be able to export midi from pro tools as a different format like format 1 or format 0 then re-import back into pro tools.
No can do.
Quote:
I will just place one long midi note on the corresponding trigger on a midi track for now but I cant see that being the best for mixdown.
For mixdown, have you tried Individual Output routing straight from the Strike Mixer? The Strike Plug-In Guide covers this somewhat, though, there's a DigiZine Drumroom article that covers this better, I think it's Winter or Spring 2007 edition, of the top of my head.
Quote:
Hopefully Digidesign will fixx these bugs soon
Yes, you and the countless other Strike users.

filosofem