How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-16-2020, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Track Folders Are Here .. !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
Folder tracks *better* be part of permanent license holders updates or I will have paid my last renewal.
I am pretty sure they are not going to try to sell us "Edit Window Cleanup Toolkit" but instead include the feature to standard and ultimate software -- not so sure about 1st though.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:13 PM

UAD: Codes a DAW from the ground up and gives it away to hardware customers for free

Avid: (After subscription fee) 2010 style track folders in 2020!
Old 01-16-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaBrain View Post
UAD: Codes a DAW from the ground up and gives it away to hardware customers for free
To be fair, Avid's typically included PT with their hardware. Free is a complicated word in the world of sales. Much like "saving money." lol
Old 01-16-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
To be fair, Avid's typically included PT with their hardware. Free is a complicated word in the world of sales. Much like "saving money." lol
True. PTHD has always been part of the HD/HDN/HDX Bundle so same with Luna IMHO as we already paid almost 12000 Euro for our 4 Apollo Interfaces and they have intergrated (in part) Luna into the Console Software so I see Luna as a delayed software that would have been included as a bundle in the Apollo Interface price just like Console 2 mixer software.

Anyway it is a WELCOME addition and if they (UA) keep the ”add-on” efx priced low it might be a contender to PT for us who use several Apollo interfaces. As the UAD-2 plugins range from 149-ish and up to $300 I woumd kot expect to pay more than maybe max $99 for the added efx as none of them will work as a ”plugin” outside Luna.

The normal UA plugins can be used in any DAW and thats why they are more money but these EFX ”plugs” wont work in PT or Live10 etc I expect them to be half price or less.

They said that the Tape Emu and the 3 VI was included but everyone in the demos are very vague on the Neve of emulation if it is a paid addon or included.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-16-2020, 04:54 PM

I just hope folders reflect on the mix window too, separate settings from the edit window would be even better.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I just hope folders reflect on the mix window too, separate settings from the edit window would be even better.
Agree !!

BTW I’ll PM you tomorrow as it is 2.30 am here and i have to try to sleep for once but lets do the transfer this weekend Andrei. Be well!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-16-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Looks good. I don't really understand the Routing Folders though... does anyone else? If so can they explain what it is and how it works in practice?
I'd have to read their Press Release again to get their exact terminology under my tongue (since the devs all use different names now) but as I basically understand it...

"Normal" Track Folders - A container where you can stick tracks. You can route anything anywhere, and stick it in this type of folder so that you don't have to look at the individual tracks.

"Routing" Tracks (I think) (Logic calls the Summing Folder Tracks) - Similar to above, except that the Outputs of all of the Tracks contained within it are also routed to a common Aux, which is controlled by the fader for the "Folder Track".
Old 01-16-2020, 07:06 PM

So whatever it would be called ("routing folder") would be like automatic bussing? Like choose a dozen drum kit tracks, assign them to "routing folder" or whatever that is, and the folder acts as aux track and its output is common to all tracks in the folder.

Makes sense.

Can the folder be assigned plugins too?
Old 01-16-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
I'd have to read their Press Release again to get their exact terminology under my tongue (since the devs all use different names now) but as I basically understand it...

"Normal" Track Folders - A container where you can stick tracks. You can route anything anywhere, and stick it in this type of folder so that you don't have to look at the individual tracks.

"Routing" Tracks (I think) (Logic calls the Summing Folder Tracks) - Similar to above, except that the Outputs of all of the Tracks contained within it are also routed to a common Aux, which is controlled by the fader for the "Folder Track".

That is correct.

Routing folders essentially collapse the tracks under a common aux group that has the same functionality as a typical aux buss within PT - inserts etc.

If you were to open a session wth routing tracks in an older version of PT, the tracks would be ‘unfolded’ so to speak and an aux track would be created with those tracks routed to it to replicate the routing folder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
aux track would be created
So to speak, sure. But technically it may be more like the new version creates the aux track and it is there as an aux track for backwards compatibility; and this folder track feature is manipulating that aux track and the individual tracks' outputs in a meaningful way.

Don't want to be nitpicking here but just pointing out that for backwards compatibility no older version is "creating" anything from a newer session. It is always the responsibility of a newer version to create structures recognized by older versions.