Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-24-2003, 09:27 PM

Default Affordable foley and FX mic

Obviously, having a wide selection of microphones is the way to go for recording foley and sound effects. But if you didn't have a big budget and had to pick one decent (and not too pricey) mic to plug into a portable DAT, what would it be?

AT822 is very appealing to me although I should be able to spend a little more than that.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2003, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Affordable foley and FX mic

Oktava MK012. $100-$150 very quiet, but you have to be careful of handling noise. Very Shoeps like, not quite as sensitive and much less prone to humidity problems.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:14 PM

Hmmmm, Oktava...

It really does seems like an inKredible microphone, judging by all the raving reviews. It seems that MK012 is no longer made but is replaced with MC012 and the three capsule package is only $299 (cedar box included).

Thank you
Old 05-26-2003, 06:08 AM

Hello. Sylvian what do you consider 'too pricey'? I agree with Noiz2, although Oktava has been hit and miss in my experience. Marshall and Studio Projects offer large diaphragm condensers at about the same price point which are just as good. Also, if you can go to the $400 to $600 range, you have several options. Earthworks make fantastic mics, Shure has the KSM line, Audio Technica's has the 40XX line. You may even get a TLM103 or a BLUE Baby Bottle on sale around that price.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:44 AM

Froyo:
... Earthworks make fantastic mics,

All the reviews I've read about the Earthworks have mentioned that they are a "bit noisier" than others. This may be something that got fixed but I thought it had something to do with the design. I haven't used them so this is strictly second hand info.
Anybody have experience with them and noise. I seem to often be recording very quiet stuff so noise has been an issue.

Oktava is a bit variable. I think it has more to do with the retailers handling them like they were guitar strings, but none the less it is an issue. If you go large diaphram there are lots of imports (china mostly) that I've heard very good stuff about at unbielevably low prices. It was only a few years ago you couldnt touch a decent Large D for under 1K.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:51 PM

Hello. Noiz2 ironically that is 180 degrees opposite to my experience. One of the reasons I have liked my experiences with Earthworks is their low self noise. Very clean. I have used them mostly for drums, strings, some horns and with fairly good mic pres. But I did use them once creating a SFX and they were quite good. Again, very low self noise, clean and transparent. Just my experience, and to be honest, that is the first time I have heard any criticism of that sort. Obviously it's just my direct experience and what I have heard from others.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:12 AM

Choices... decisions...

Oktava looks mighty appealing because you get three capsules for $300. Maybe getting that and adding another large diaphragm mic is not a bad idea. That's like getting four very decent microphones!

I see there's an Oktava 319 with a shockmount for $99, a whole bunch of Marshall Electronics MXL's for $99 or less, there's the Rode NT1-A for $199... I'm looking for something that will be great for vocals and voiceovers.

I'm still looking at that AT822 because it's really made to be portable and can plug directly into my DAT. And it's stereo, unlike your recommendations.

Which Earthworks and Marshall models are you recommending specifically?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2003, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Froyo:
Hello. Noiz2 ironically that is 180 degrees opposite to my experience. .... Obviously it's just my direct experience and what I have heard from others.
I wasn't trying to knock the mics. I thought they would be great. The reviews I'm talking about were in EM and Mix I believe and they were something to the effect that "being such small diaphrams they naturaly are a bit noisier". I have yet to get a chance to try them out so??? It may be that technicaly they have more noise but the noise shape makes it less noticeable or (heavan forbid) the journalists may have gotten it wrong and just assumed it would have more noise because it had a small diaphram. I'll put them back on the list of things to check out.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:38 AM

By sylvian
Quote:
Which Earthworks and Marshall models are you recommending specifically?
Hello. The SR77 on Earthworks. The QTC1 is more expensive but better in my opinion. However the SR77 is the $500 to $600 range and very good in my opinion. Marshall oddly enough has different model numbers depending on where you buy it. There is a model with Mogami cable. The RODE mics are good also. Try them and see which ones you like.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:13 PM

I think I read the same reviews about the SR77 mic - and in listening tests I've done with them (admitally a few years ago) nothing inspiring happened - just seemed to be nothing very detailed about them, maybe they need to be really upclose??

The stereo RODE mic apparently has a few humdity issues (although it sounds really good aside from that, I hear - not heard it myself yet).

The AudioTechnica AT825 (the balanced version of the 822) has a good stereo field but I found it had a bit of handling noise (didn't have a proper mount for it though). It's a good one point stereo mic.

You've had repsonses here with mono mic's because you asked for a foley mic - you don't normally record foley in stereo. And I guess we all assumed you wanted a mono fx mic too.

Myself - I'm about to get an Oktava MC012 for mono FX recording (with a miniDAT) - the hyper capsule. Might use it for ADR too..

Whatever you get, if you're going to be outside - you'll want to get a rycote suspension and blimp style system (other companies make them as well).

I've got a large AT4050 - but it picks up far too much room for FX use (sounds damn nice on vocals though)...