Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2010, 07:02 PM

Default I am having the most horrible time trying to install pt9

I did the update, and it took over 2 hours to get 10% of the time done, but I have an essay to write and I don't have time to sit there for 24 hours while pt9 installs.

So I canceled it. I had to uninstall everything, re-install pt8 (5 times), which took 24 hours, and I am still currently installing it, again.

It took 12 hours to install pt8, when I got it installed I attempted to update it to 8.0.4, and it took 9 hours sitting on the "installing avid hardware". I am not kidding. I started the update at 4:30am, went to bed, I woke up an hour ago, just after 1pm, and it was still sitting there. So I stopped it, uninstalled everything again, re-installed 8.0.0, had to force reset my computer because it froze, uninstalled it AGAIN and I am currently installing it AGAIN.

God, why am I having such horrible luck with just the INSTALL time for pt8?

This morning, the base 8.0.0 only took about half an hour, I played the new COD while I waited.

I won't be using the update, and why did pt9 take 2 hour to install 10%?

What is going on?? When I got my new computer it did NOT take this long to install it before. What changed? Why can't I just simply...UPDATE it?

Windows 7 64bit

Edit, just had to force reset again, installation of 8.0.0 froze my computer again.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 PM

Default Re: I am having the most horrible time trying to install pt9

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Davo View Post
I did the update, and it took over 2 hours to get 10% of the time done, but I have an essay to write and I don't have time to sit there for 24 hours while pt9 installs.

So I canceled it. I had to uninstall everything, re-install pt8 (5 times), which took 24 hours, and I am still currently installing it, again.

It took 12 hours to install pt8, when I got it installed I attempted to update it to 8.0.4, and it took 9 hours sitting on the "installing avid hardware". I am not kidding. I started the update at 4:30am, went to bed, I woke up an hour ago, just after 1pm, and it was still sitting there. So I stopped it, uninstalled everything again, re-installed 8.0.0, had to force reset my computer because it froze, uninstalled it AGAIN and I am currently installing it AGAIN.

God, why am I having such horrible luck with just the INSTALL time for pt8?

This morning, the base 8.0.0 only took about half an hour, I played the new COD while I waited.

I won't be using the update, and why did pt9 take 2 hour to install 10%?

What is going on?? When I got my new computer it did NOT take this long to install it before. What changed? Why can't I just simply...UPDATE it?

Windows 7 64bit

Edit, just had to force reset again, installation of 8.0.0 froze my computer again.

Don't worry, my computer froze again, I give up, will apply for refund.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:33 PM

I'd be wondering if your system is the problem, not the installers. Sounds like you have a hard drive problem that needs diagnosing.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axiom View Post
I'd be wondering if your system is the problem, not the installers. Sounds like you have a hard drive problem that needs diagnosing.
System is brand new, pt 8.0.4 was working fine yesterday afternoon, problems started when I tried to update to pt9, but I will be doing a format to try and get it working on Thursday.

It might be worth noting, the first time I re-installed 8.0.0 it installed fine, but I forgot to turn the 003 on and the drivers did not get installed. Since then I have done over 10 installs, and only once has it fully installed properly. 8.0.0 does not run on windows 7 or 64 bit, so opening the program without the update will just crash the system. The install this morning was fine, took half an hour, but the 8.0.4 update took 8 hours with nothing. Subsequent installs have just resulted in hard freezes.

fml
Old 11-08-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Davo View Post
System is brand new, pt 8.0.4 was working fine yesterday afternoon, problems started when I tried to update to pt9, but I will be doing a format to try and get it working on Thursday.

Doesn't matter if it's brand new..... A buddy of mine bought a brand new PC from HP/Compaq and they had those faulty Seagate hard drives in them. Seagate recalled those drives for a replacement one. Anything is possible.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but Sh1at happens.
Pro Tools 10.3.7 - 11.1.2
6GB RAM
Universal Audio Apollo Quad!!!
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Rockit RP5 Monitors w/ RP10 sub
Old 11-08-2010, 07:47 PM

Did you unzip/unpack the files before running setup? Just a thought.

Setup ran without issue here. I ran setup/uninstall (8 and 9) many times trying to get the driver to work, which was actually resolved by the serperate driver install.

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougied View Post
Doesn't matter if it's brand new.....
Quite often, a problem disk will be more likely to have problems early in its life rather than suddenly fail after a decent amount of time. The bad ones usually make themselves noticed when relatively new.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:31 PM

I ran the install one last time, it didn't freeze up, and pt8 installed. I ran the pt9 after a reboot and it installed in under 15 minutes.

Finally. I will look into my hdd, if everything crashes I have everything backed up, but it is still an inconvenience.