Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2017, 04:08 AM

Default thinking of switching from logic on mac to pro tools in windows

Hi Guys

Great forum!!

I am currently using logic pro x on a macbook pro. I am getting alot more serious about my film scoring career after doing my first feature film recently, thought it might just be a one time thing but now want to get my studio in order fro future projects. My macbook just isnt keeping up and Im not entirely happy with the feel of logic either.

I own a decent spec PC that I previously used for gaming. My question to you is do you think its worth making the necessary changes to this pc to run PT native (not sure if I need HD yet) and what those hardware changes would be, besides the RAM and HDD's which i plan to upgrade.

My PC Specs

Cpu- intel i7 4790K 4ghz 8 MB, Cache LGA 1150
GPU- Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060
Motherboard-Gigabyte GA-85 HD3
PSU-Raidmax 530w
Ram-8g 1333 DDR3
HDD- 2 X 250g Sata
Chassis- Deep cool Tesseract
Evo Tx3 Aftermarket CPU fan
Windows 7 64 bit

Also, will my spitfire audio sample libraries (.nki) work in pro tools on pc?

I am using a Roland Octa-Capture interface (USB).

Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Kyle
Old 03-01-2017, 06:31 AM

Default Re: thinking of switching from logic on mac to pro tools in windows

Your PC doesn't look bad and would probably suffice for small to mid size projects. It's always difficult to predict just how well it will run, because there are so many variables involved.

Definitely increase your RAM. 16GB is an okay starting point, but you may want more if you load a lot of samples.
Hard drives should be 7200 RPM minimum (SSD would be even better) and you should put the OS and PT on one and use the other for your sessions. A third for samples would even be better.

Make sure all your drivers are up to date on the system and read through the Help Us Help You thread for tips on optimizing your system.

Your sample library files will be fine, as they are not OS specific.

You can always set up your PC and give the PT trial a shot before investing in PT. You will need an iLok, but that's a small price to pay to see how well things will work.

System Details
Old 03-01-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Your PC doesn't look bad and would probably suffice for small to mid size projects. It's always difficult to predict just how well it will run, because there are so many variables involved.
Thanks. The reason I would be switching is for more security in running big power hungry projects. If I upgrade to 2 or 3 SSD's and 16 or 32 Gigs of RAM would that be the power I'll need?

I appreciate the advice. Its a possibly very expensive exercise to get wrong...

Thanks
Kyle
Old 03-01-2017, 07:28 AM

Define a big power hungry project. You don't necessarily need SSDs, although it is nice for the OS drive for faster bootup. If you are going to add RAM, buy it all in a kit, as it will be tested together and proven to work together. Adding RAM to existing RAM is a crapshoot, even if it is the "same" RAM, due to changes in manufacturing processes over time.

As said above, get the PT Trial and see how it works with your rig as-is. You can always add SSDs and RAM later. Your GPU may be overkill, but since you already have it, no need to change it.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Shepherd View Post
Thanks. The reason I would be switching is for more security in running big power hungry projects. If I upgrade to 2 or 3 SSD's and 16 or 32 Gigs of RAM would that be the power I'll need?

I appreciate the advice. Its a possibly very expensive exercise to get wrong...

Thanks
Kyle
Again, it's impossible to tell just how well it will perform for you, but the system specs look solid and should be able to run a good size session.

You can take a look at the System Requirements page to compare your system to the recommended systems.

I would recommend at least 16GB of RAM. You can always start with just two drives. If they are both SSD, you may not even need a third for samples. Just use the OS drive for samples and keep the other for session data.

System Details
Old 03-01-2017, 09:17 AM

Larger power supply too, 850 watt gold or platinum.

If you're going to be using a lot of virtual instruments, more RAM is better and also get VE Pro.

Post a Sandra Report - see the Help Us Help You link.

Asking in the i7 Sticky Thread would be good.

Best advice was already given. Get an iLok2 and one month of Pro Tools 12. Cheap way to take PT for a spin.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-01-2017, 11:33 AM

Plugged my interface into the PC. Massive buzz on my speakers on all usb ports. haha. Looks like my MOBO need to be looked at or replaced. No buzz on the Mac.

thanks for the advice. I'll consider my options and costs etc.

thanks
Old 03-01-2017, 12:42 PM

Pro Tools is far from plug and play. You need to do every one of the Avid Recommended optimizations for your version of Windows and PT in the "Additional Resources" tab at the top of this page. Sweetwater also has optimization guides. It took me several times through the list to get them all right. Before spending any money, get your current system in shape to run PT.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:59 PM

Thanks. I realised that the buzz sounded like a plug issue so i fiddled around switching powerplugs and cables etc. Buzz gone now so i will try the trial version after I get the iLok key and give it a go.

Thanks everyone
Kyle
Old 03-01-2017, 01:43 PM

I would think anyone comfortable with Midi in Logic would find Pro Tools a giant step backwards I love how PT handles audio, and it covers midi needs for me just fine, but I would not call myself a midi "power user"(and midi is the one area where PT seems to garner the most complaint, especially right now with 12.7 having serious midi timing issues

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave