Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Need some general advice

Hi, I posted the same sort of question on here a long time ago but now it has finally come to the crunch. There are a few issues that I need to clear up before I begin using PT. I now have enough cash for an LE setup with a 002 but do you think I should save up for longer and get a tdm system. I will be using it for recording up to 8 tracks simultaneously on a frequent basis and running waves plugins too. Secondly I have been on the compatibility pages and my machine seems fine in terms of the components etc. but after using the macs at uni for a while now, I find them so much more reliable in general. I would really love to speak to someone that uses PT on a PC of a similar spec to see how they feel about it, and if they think it is worth changing to a mac for PT purposes. My current PC that I will be using has a 200 gig hard drive, an 80-gig hard drive, 1.5 gig of DDR RAM and a 2.8 intel celeron processor. It is used purely for recording and music stuff in general and has no junk programmes or internet connected to it. This is an important issue to me as I know that PC's generally quite unstable. Mine does run well but I would like to have the security of being able to work comfortably wihtout it being slow and without the worry of losing my work at any time and having to go through the bother of constantlyrestarting. I know this sounds like a boring, repetitive post but I really need to sort these things out before spending a lot of money. Thanks very much in advance, I will look forward to a reply L.Dudley
Old 12-30-2004, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Need some general advice

If you get the cash for a TDM system go for it. A good way to start is to get yourself a 002 and then upgrade to a bigger system.

I use amd, and as far as I know, the people using intel are using "pentium IV" above 3000+ and this is for LE. A TDM sytem will require an specific MOBO with the right chip.

When it comes to down to it, a PC well configured and optimized will give you excelent results, if not better... I'd spend some time checking if the computer you have its compatible.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Need some general advice

I'm with Chuck on this. A well built PC works just fine but I am a little suspect of Celeron chips for PT. Also do yourself a favor and keep your protools machine off the internet. LE can give you pro quality as long as you use good techniques and decent mics and monitors. A DIGI002 with a Digimax LT added can track 16 channels at a time. The Waves Gold bundle is a great start for plugins. That and Autotune4 will get you thru most anything. Upgrade to platinum or Diamond to get the cool mastering plugs.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave