Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-08-2010, 08:34 AM

Default 003 Monitor outputs

hey guys

Ive spent the last 2 or so hours trying to install pro tools 8 on windows 7 and i think I'm almost there! the only problem I'm having now (after countless BSOD's and a variety of errors) is getting playback to my monitors, my headphones work, outputs 1 - 2 work, but my monitor output and alt monitor outputs aren't doing anything.

I'm using an old stereo amp to power the speakers but they seem to be working fine when running out of 1 - 2, as soon as i switch it over to Monitor outs nothing comes out, even tested them with the headphones. Mute isn't on, Alt CR isn't on, I/O's are fine.

the setup is exactly how i used to have it before i moved house only difference is windows 7.

its probably just some sleep deprived stupidity but any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:39 AM

Default Re: 003 Monitor outputs

Are you new to Pro Tools? The output on each channel would have to be set to Mon 2, Aux, etc. This way you could send one channel out to an external processor, then back in. Or headphone mixes and to different speakers. Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:18 PM

Nah not new, only new to windows 7. I have my paths set to 1 - 2 so it should be working, I got 1/4 inch to RCA which go to the amp, then the amp goes to the speakers.

There are no problems when i use the 1 - 2 ports, but when i plug into the monitor ports nothing comes out, seeing the monitor is a mirror of 1 - 2 it should work.

This makes me think it could be hardware issue but at the same time pro tools is doing some weird stuff on its own, after installation it works fine, but when you turn it off all hard drives in the workspace all lock to transfer only and you get the 'not valid audio drive error' so it could just be a windows 7 issue.

Starting to think i should just go back to XP
Old 03-08-2010, 05:48 PM

Still not sure if we're talking apples to apples but you've allready said the headphone and 1&2 work, this IS the way it should work when the path is set to 1&2. If you want it to come out the other selections on the back of the 003 the output in PT needs to be set accordingly. Two other possibilities, you could try opening the I/O page and set each tab to default and also the 003 starts up in mute mode.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:46 PM

nah i get what your saying but the 003 has a dedicated monitor port on back which are mirrors of the 1 -2 outputs and its this dedicated port that's the problem, i get sound out of the outputs (1 - 8) when i select them as the channel output, i just don't get any sound coming out of the dedicated monitor ports no matter what these are set to. In the past when i set a channel to 1 - 2 output they always came out the monitor ports, now nothing.

what i'm wondering now is whether they are hardwired together which i would think would mean there is damage to the device itself, or if its all internal digital routing then maybe its a pro tools 8 vs windows 7 issue.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:18 PM

check these other two options, try opening the I/O page and set each tab to default and also the 003 starts up in mute mode.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:07 PM

ok worked it out! mostly my stupidity to blame coupled with a broken / breaking amp (must of went out while moving it)

I left the monitor volume too low (why i had no sound until i put it in output 1 - 2 at line level) and the track i was using was an old distorted ambient track, only worked out the amp was screwed out when i listened back to music and heard the distortion and low level.

now just have to sort out this 'Invalid audio volume'

thanks for the help tho!