How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2013, 06:45 PM

Default Help with MIDI keyboard

Hello,

I'm having some problems with my MIDI keyboard. It's an Impulse49 and I'm running it with ProTools 10. When I'm trying to do an instrument track(when I'm playing the keyboard, for instance), I can see the "notes" in the track and it'll record, but when I try to play it back I can't hear anything. My speaker's are working because I can play music and hear it out of them but it won't work with my MIDI. I called Avid Support about a week ago and he got it working but now it isn't working anymore. Please help! Thank you!
Old 10-13-2013, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Help with MIDI keyboard

Do you have a VI inserted on the Instrument track?

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-13-2013, 07:30 PM

I'm sorry, I don't know what a VI is. I've seen that on other forums. Where would I find that?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhitmore View Post
I'm sorry, I don't know what a VI is. I've seen that on other forums. Where would I find that?
A VI is a Virtual Instrument like Vaccum, Structure or any other synth you might have as a Plugin. There are 5 or 6 Virtual Instruments that comes with Pro Tools and you need to make an Instrument track. Choose a VI from the inserts and make sure that your midi keyboard is set as "input" and your interface/soundcard is set as output and record arm the track. Then you should hear when you play and what you have played.

You have not provided much info regarding your setup so it is hard to help out when we don't know anything about your version of OS, computer info etc.

Read this http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

And after you tried my sugestion post back with the info required if that doesn't work.

Best of luck
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-13-2013, 09:00 PM

For my VI I've been using the Mini Grand Piano. So I have a few chords recorded and those are showing up but I can't hear it. I'm running OS X 10.8.5 Intel Core i5.

When I try to make an instrument track, it's only saying "no input" and I don't see an option to make the MIDI the input. Where I can actually record information is in an actual MIDI track, I haven't done it in an instrument track so I don't know what I'm doing there.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
For my VI I've been using the Mini Grand Piano. So I have a few chords recorded and those are showing up but I can't hear it. I'm running OS X 10.8.5 Intel Core i5.

When I try to make an instrument track, it's only saying "no input" and I don't see an option to make the MIDI the input. Where I can actually record information is in an actual MIDI track, I haven't done it in an instrument track so I don't know what I'm doing there.
First what interface are you using?

Secondly, have you setup your midikeyboard in the "midi setup" and when thats done goto settings and set all your i/o to Default. You need to read up more about Pro Tools as it is NOT like Cubase, Logic, Reaper etc where most of the peripherals just work when plugged into the computer. Pro Tools is a very tricky program and as far away from plug and play you will ever get

I would do the default settings in the i/o menu and then go and set up your midi keyboard in the midi settings menu. It won't "just work" when plugged in, it needs to be activated with a Checkbox and then you will be qble to choose that in the "Instrument track"

Also you can't put the grand piano on a midi track so how have you made that sound before if you haven't used an instrument track? A miditrack is used for external sound sources like a synth or a drum machine and samplers that you connect into your interface or midi interface via midicables and that is a whole other story.
I sugest you go online and start reading up on how pro tools works and as the name says, it is a "Pro DAW" and not a plug'n play DAW and a certain level of knowledge is absolutely needed for getting Pro Tools to work correctly.

Interface? Number of harddrives? What models? RAM size? Computer speed? Processor/s? External devices? Pro Tools version?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-13-2013, 09:17 PM

I'm sure this sounds like a very dumb question, but what would be an example of an interface? I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about all the terms.

My MIDI has definitely worked for me in a MIDI track, I'm not sure how but it was working just a few days ago.

All of this is a little bit over my head, so I may need to call Avid and get help that way. I really do appreciate your help, but I think I'm a little bit of a difficult student here because I'm not understanding all of your directions. Thank you very much for your help up to this point though!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
I'm sure this sounds like a very dumb question, but what would be an example of an interface? I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about all the terms.

My MIDI has definitely worked for me in a MIDI track, I'm not sure how but it was working just a few days ago.

All of this is a little bit over my head, so I may need to call Avid and get help that way. I really do appreciate your help, but I think I'm a little bit of a difficult student here because I'm not understanding all of your directions. Thank you very much for your help up to this point though!
Well no one here will be able to help if you won't answer the questions we ask so good luck and hope you get the help needed. You do know that it will cost you 35-40 dollars to call Avid but if you feel thats the best way ..

Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-13-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:

go to view > edit window views > instruments

this is where you choose your midi input (your keyboard) for the VI also where you choose where it goes (mini grand) . an instrument track is a combination of an aux track and a midi track. the place where you see "no input" is (likely) the i/o section where you choose audio in and out. "No input" is what you want there for this case