Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2014, 06:42 AM

Default PT 10 Full Lockup... let's see if we can figure it out

And the exact version of EZ Drummer you have installed is what ? And if you just do not install that what happens?
Old 01-02-2014, 06:55 AM

Default Re: PT 10 Full Lockup... let's see if we can figure it out

EZDrummer 1.3.3 - latest version available. This plugin doesn't seem to be a problem so far, nor does the 11R UI plugin.

And, just got a runtime error when closing the demo session with only those two plugs. Something I could live with as a minor annoyance though. No freezing so far.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:59 AM

Holy crap, I think I see a disconnect... You guys DO realize that the (R) is the registered trademark symbol, as represented by SANDRA, right? This is not a Pentium R machine. It's a Pentium G2020T. Launched just last year. It's right in the SANDRA report. Sheesh.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:02 AM

YEZ Drummer RTAS or AAX-32. Try with each seperately.

What *exact* errors messages are you getting? The entire exact text of the message.

Any all your playback engine settings are what?

This processor is just an not good choice for a Pro Tools system, it's literally Intel's play at building the cheapest and slowest processor they can for lowest end X86 uses, slower than even an i3. Most folks here will want an i7 with graphics processor in their Pro Tools system, and a dedicated audio drive. The slow CPU, integrated graphics and improper disk setup can easily cause problems with just one VI instance.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:03 AM

And when I say I have "the latest" it's because I'm just not sure how it could be anything else... Except for the initial .6 install, which was removed, everything I've installed on this brand new clean PC has been freshdownloads of the highest versions listed by the vendors. 11R drivers, EZDrummer, ProTools 10.3.7, etc. But yes, I will try to find exact version numbers for everything I have. I am basically going to be adding the plugs back in one at a time. The runtime error on closing is a minor PITA, concerning but not a show stopper, and others have had this problem too.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
YEZ Drummer RTAS or AAX-32. Try with each seperately.

What *exact* errors messages are you getting? The entire exact text of the message.

Any all your playback engine settings are what?

This processor is just an not good choice for a Pro Tools system, it's literally Intel's play at building the cheapest and slowest processor they can for lowest end X86 uses, slower than even an i3. Most folks here will want an i7 with graphics processor in their Pro Tools system, and a dedicated audio drive. The slow CPU, integrated graphics and improper disk setup can easily cause problems with just one VI instance.
First, before we go any further, please know I wholeheartedly appreciate you taking the time here with me.

I see two ezdrummer files in this directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-Ins

which are

ezdrummer.dpm
ezdrummer.dpm.rsr

(these are in addition to my 11R UI plugin files, which are Eleven UI.dpm and Eleven UI.dpm.rsr)

I see a single directory in this directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins

which is

EZdrummer.aaxplugin

should I only use one EZ drummer plugin? not even sure i'm looking in the right directories, but I did see the (unused) directories and moved all plugins to those except for those listed above.

Current playback engine settings:

ElevenRack
Buffer: 256
Host: 2 processors
CPU Usage limit: 90%
Ignore errors: unchecked
Delay Comp: Long

I don't remember what I've changed here at this point, so if these are way screwy, mea culpa for sure.

The actual FREEZE does not throw an error, it just freezes. it hasn't done this once since moving all the plugs except those listed above.

The error on exit is:

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\Avid\Pro Tools\ProTools.exe

R6025
-pure virtual function call

and for the first time now, I get an error when I start, saying that PT didn't close down properly last time and that I need to reboot. That's new, and definitely a dealbreaker. Before it would just close and life would go on.

As I said in my original post, I'm not looking to do tons of tracks with lots of plugs, I just wanted a good starter machine for working ideas. The budget sucks, but it is what it is. If this is truly a hardware compatibility issue i'll take it back. I was just hoping, after having my 11R for a couple years now, that I might actually be able to use this software. Such is the life of the broke musician.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:16 AM

Do not worry about the standard Avid Plugins but make sure you are removing EZ Drummer and any other plugins (check none others got installed in the past, uninstalling Pro Tools does not clean off old third party plugin trials etc.).

I would do a full EZ drummer reinstall then to make sure both AAX and RTAS plugs are the latest. Then try removing both the RTAS and AAX plugins and check that EZ drummer does not show up in the insert menus at all. Then put back just RTAS and see if that is more stable than the AAX and visa versa.

Just recently it looked like somebody might be having problems with EZKeys, sister product to EZDrummer. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=348805 I do like Toontracks products BTW and use Superior Drummer myself.

But you also need to address your disk and GPU issues. At least get an audio spec HDD or even better an SSD in the PC.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:20 AM

Wrong settings in the playback engine, start at. Host 1 CPU/99%. Delay compensation none. Ignore errors unchecked. IO buffer 512 or 1024 -- 256 is likely too optimistic when not using a dedicated audio drive.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Wrong settings in the playback engine, start at. Host 1 CPU/99%. Delay compensation none. Ignore errors unchecked. IO buffer 512 or 1024 -- 256 is likely too optimistic when not using a dedicated audio drive.
why only one 1 cpu? just curious.

I think I may have modified the buffer based on an error I received at one point, but we'll see 'sup.

I've removed the ezdrummer and eleven ui plugins to see if they could be causing the runtime errors. As I said, the freezes have been gone since pulling all plugins, and the were still gone when adding back those two. I'll try not to change too many things at once, to make sure the troubleshooting is good.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
HA... just tried to change those playback settings and got the runtime error when protools went to restart. it's now locked up, but not the whole machine.

I wonder if I should uninstall and remove all traces of PT10 altogether... is there a doc somewhere for that?