Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 07-03-2015, 01:42 PM

Default Fast Track C600 Won't Turn on?

I recently dusted off a C600 that my father purchased a while back, and upon plugging in to external power and USB, the device won't turn on at all - no lights, nothing.

I tried with multiple USB cables/power supplies, still no luck.

The ports feel "wiggly" but it doesn't look like the solder broke (At least that I can tell without tearing it apart further)

Any ideas on what this might be other than bad ports?

Thank you so much for any help! Glad that this seems to be an active community...Avid support seems to be a PITA to get a hold of.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Fast Track C600 Won't Turn on?

I'm not sure if they have an internal fuse or not. Make sure the power adapter you're using has the correct amperage, voltage and polarity.

You should be able to get some signal without the power supply anyway though. From the manual:
"While it is possible to power the interface through the USB cable without the power supply, please note that due to inherent power limitations of the USB bus, analog inputs 3-4, analog outputs 5-6, and headphone output 2 will not be available. These inputs and outputs are only available when the external power supply is used."

If you're not, then you'll probably have to take it apart to see if there is anything obvious (if it is out of warranty), or send it to an authorized repair centre. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/en210711

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 07-06-2015, 02:44 PM

Hi Joel!

Here are some pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/N6GCX

I took it apart, and don't see any sign of an internal fuse (Although TBH, I'm not exactly sure what a fuse in something like this would look like?

I don't see any sign of breakage anywhere, but maybe a more trained eye might see something that I can't

I was quoted $110/hr by a service center to work on this thing, so it looks like it's a throwaway if I can't fix it
Old 07-06-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
I'm not sure if they have an internal fuse or not. Make sure the power adapter you're using has the correct amperage, voltage and polarity.

Joel
Hi Joel!

Here are a few pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/N6GCX

I took it apart, and don't see any sign of an internal fuse (although I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for)

I don't see any other signs of breakage, maybe a more trained eye could see something I'm not?

I was quoted $110/hr by an official repair shop to look at it, so it looks like a throwaway if I can't fix it myself
Old 01-18-2016, 12:28 PM

I was wondering if you had any luck on this. My c600 just went belly up and will not power on.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waste View Post
I was wondering if you had any luck on this. My c600 just went belly up and will not power on.
No luck unfortunately - best guess is that the power inputs are broken and need to be replaced.

Luckily, Avid has great support and I was able to get replacement parts quickly!

Just kidding, Avid support is the worst that I've encountered, and I gave up after about 2 weeks of getting jerked around by various "Avid sponsored" repair shops around the country.

They have no interest in supporting something low end like the c600, so folks like us are out of luck
Old 04-04-2016, 09:02 PM

Did either of you guys come up with anything on this? My c600 died the other day; the power light doesn't come on and the unit doesn't register in the system report. I was doing some cable management being the desk and ended up hotswapping a powered thunderbolt dock that had the c600 plugged into one of the usb ports. I think I fried the power input on the unit...
did either of you come up with any solution for your units? or did you end up just throwing them in the garbage?

Click me...

MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz intel i7, 16GB / OSX 10.10.5 / PT 11.3.2 / UA Apollo
Old 03-19-2017, 11:52 PM

My C600 started with troubles a week ago as well. funny thing is, when I plug it in with just the usb, it comes on and works for a bit then starts playing sound like a stretched tape. Then you plug in the power cord and the lights dim slightly and the blue power light goes off, the pc also says usb device not recognized. It seems like this is a lost cause?
Old 07-15-2017, 06:58 PM

Same ole' same ole' here. Haven't used my C600 for about a year and this past week I pulled it out of my box and plugged it in, just USB. I noticed the USB was a little loose so I used another cable, same thing. One instance it would connect another instance it would disconnect and wouldn't connect back until I restarted. Today it just went dead, no lights, nothing on either my Windows 10 or Macbook Pro....

I have an M-Audio C400 that I never had any issues with also but I can promise you this will be the last M-Audio and Avid hardware I will ever purchase again. Tired of getting ran over by these companies only for them to split up then Avid quits supporting hardware that should still be supported. Time to start cleaning house of Avid and M-Audio hardware since nothing works because of hardware failure or nobody wants to release a driver for their hardware...