Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2009, 09:50 AM

Default no instrument, inserts, sends on MIDI track?

just taking the first steps with Pro Tools (so there are probably very simple answers) -

1) why are there no the instrument, inserts, and sends fields available on MIDI tracks?

there is no problem on instrument tracks, but when I import a MIDI track I can not assign any sounds to it to hear it (I can see it in the score and MIDI editor, so it's obviously there)

also -
2) double clicking on a MIDI track should bring up (depending on the choice in Preferences) the MIDI (or score) editor - but it doesn't ... ( I can open the editors, but only by going through the Windows menu) - wonder why?

thanks for any enlightenment
Pro Tools 8.03, Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Xi3650 laptop, 18.4 in. HD display, Intel Centrino2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics, Realtek High Definition Audio, 4GB RAM, Vista HP (32-bit), Digidesign Mbox 2 Micro
Old 10-31-2009, 10:08 AM

Default Re: no instrument, inserts, sends on MIDI track?

1.. Because those features you mention are audio functions and a MIDI track handles no audio.. the IO section is different too.. The "instruments" section of an Inst track is so you can see the MIDI features of an inst track... Otherwise, an Inst track is just like an AUX input track..

2.. I believe you need to double click on a region in a track... Not just the track. If you'll look at the preference again, you'll notice that the preference says region not track..
Old 10-31-2009, 10:15 AM

1. Short Version: MIDI tracks are for MIDI notes & data only. For example, if you open up an instance of Structure or other mutiple MIDI out VIs you can send different sounds, patches, kits etc thru that channel. Expand! does this as well as many others.

Or, if you have any outboard MIDI gear, you can send it thru the MIDI channels. The reason why there are no efx inputs or anything like that is because MIDI has no sound.

2. Double click a region once you've laid down some data thru an instrument track.

I'm sure someone could elaborate a little more, but this is the basics, hope it helps

QPro Entertainment
Old 10-31-2009, 10:39 AM

1) I understand that it handles only MIDI data, but usually one can assign a softsynth or VST instrument sound (such as Mini Grand or expand2 instruments) to hear the data (like it's done in Cubase, for example, where this is very simple)

all I see under I/O - All, and below there are choices for Mini Grand or expand2, but no matter what I choose, I hear nothing (even though I see the MIDI activity on the meters)

anyone willing to explain further? (in detail? -e.g. exactly what to do?)

2) got it, works just fine (I used the wrong tool, needs to be double clicked with the grabber)
Pro Tools 8.03, Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Xi3650 laptop, 18.4 in. HD display, Intel Centrino2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics, Realtek High Definition Audio, 4GB RAM, Vista HP (32-bit), Digidesign Mbox 2 Micro
Old 10-31-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
1) I understand that it handles only MIDI data, but usually one can assign a softsynth or VST instrument sound (such as Mini Grand or expand2 instruments) to hear the data (like it's done in Cubase, for example, where this is very simple)
No, obviously you don't understand...

A MIDI track accepts MIDI input from where you tell it (usually "all")

It can record that MIDI data

It can also play it back by sending it out to where you tell it

You can also apply automation to the MIDI data that is handled by a MIDI track.

But that is all it does. IT DOES NOT HANDLE ANY AUDIO.

A plugin VI, by it's very nature, creates AUDIO. Therefore, the plugin needs to be inserted into a track which can do something with AUDIO.

These track types are: Inst, AUX, Audio

An inst track is ONLY A COMBINATION OF A MIDI TRACK AND AN AUX INPUT.

Spend some time reading about the AUX input in the manual and maybe this will become more clear to you...
Old 10-31-2009, 11:06 AM

Click ctrl + shift N, add a stereo instrument track & in your 1st empty plug-in space add Mini Grand or Expand!2 or whatever your heart desires & VUALA!!!! Simple as Cubase . And you even learned a great short cut!

QPro Entertainment
Old 10-31-2009, 11:06 AM

actually, I do .. (well, better now) - assigning it to an AUX track works of course fine (as was just copying the MIDI data to an instrument track)
I was still used to the way it can de done in Cubase (somewhat simpler, not necessary to send it to another track) ... mea culpa

thanks to all for info
Old 10-31-2009, 11:12 AM

thanks for shortcut, which brings up another question ....

to switch to MIDI editor the short cut is Start+= or to Score editor Alt+Start+=

My = sign requires Shift+0 (zero) (it's a laptop keyboard, no = on the NUM pad), and that doesn't work
any alternatives? is it possible to re-program keyboard short cuts? (such as in, dare I say it, Cubase?)
Old 10-31-2009, 11:38 AM

Can't help you with the short cut, unfortunately. Maybe someone else can chime in about that one. I've only used PT on desktop so this has never been an issue for me. As far as assigning shrtcuts....Not sure, but I don't think so because of Pro Tools' universal use in many studios. It wouldn't make sense for people to bounce from studio to studio learning everyone elses shortcuts or "importing" their own templates (could be a good idea tho )

Another way to view the Midi editor: Bring your cursor to anywhere on the bottom of the edit window, (not sure what they call it in Cubase ) you'll be able to streach the bottom of your edit window upward to show the midi editor. Hope this helps!

QPro Entertainment
Old 10-31-2009, 11:45 AM

Check 'MIDI Editor' - Double-Clicking a MIDI Region Opens (MIDI Preferences).

filosofem