Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-08-2010, 12:43 PM

Default Re: HEAT (Harmonically enhanced Algorithm Technology)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Therein lies the problem. Avid is different from most other companies. They made the hardware that has caused us G5ers to become left behind. ..
APPLE is who left all PCI card buyers and G5ers behind. Avid still fully supports their cards.

Maybe you should have bought a PeeCee?

I started using Macs in 1985. This is far from the first time that Apple has orphaned their users. Last time it happened (with nuBus cards) there was a significant bump in Pro Tools performance that encouraged Mac users to buy new cards. This time around there wasn't.

I don't see how Avid owes mac users protection from Apple's planned obsolescence. You've already gotten nine years out of your HD cards whereas Mix users only got four before theirs became obsolete.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
APPLE is who left all PCI card buyers and G5ers behind. Avid still fully supports their cards.

Maybe you should have bought a PeeCee?

I started using Macs in 1985. This is far from the first time that Apple has orphaned their users. Last time it happened (with nuBus cards) there was a significant bump in Pro Tools performance that encouraged Mac users to buy new cards. This time around there wasn't.

I don't see how Avid owes mac users protection from Apple's planned obsolescence. You've already gotten nine years out of your HD cards whereas Mix users only got four before theirs became obsolete.
That's what I keep sayin...

Apple dropped support for PPC. Software developers followed suit. Avid ain't alone. Keep using your G5 and PCI cards, or move on. Don't get any simpler than that.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-08-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
That's what I keep sayin...

Apple dropped support for PPC. Software developers followed suit. Avid ain't alone. Keep using your G5 and PCI cards, or move on. Don't get any simpler than that.
But you're ignoring what I'm saying. Avid is NOT a software company. They are a hardware company. So they should extend their software support for their hardware users. Otherwise those users may decide to switch to a Native solution so that this situation NEVER happens again.

Right now, Native DAW users have an advantage over us HD users. They have more flexibility. They can upgrade their computers for the simple cost of that computer. We can't. So we look to blame someone for that. Do we blame Avid? Or blame ourselves for investing in Avid?

Would you rather be a Logic or Nuendo user being forced to upgrade right now? Or an HD user? So what did we do wrong that we're having the worst option in upgrading? We bought HD?

To me, this was a situation for Avid to take advantage of our situation. Introduce something that makes it easy to upgrade. Even without a trade in plan. Hell. I'll take my chances with ebay.

Make PCIe cards with 3X the power for $4995. Rewrite your software from the ground up to be lean and incorporate every great feature from your competitors DAWs. Make us WANT to upgrade to more power in an HD system. Then you continue to control the market because HD is as powerful as you can get and we have no desire to seek out a lesser DAW to save some money.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
But you're ignoring what I'm saying. Avid is NOT a software company. They are a hardware company. So they should extend their software support for their hardware users. Otherwise those users may decide to switch to a Native solution so that this situation NEVER happens again.

Right now, Native DAW users have an advantage over us HD users. They have more flexibility. They can upgrade their computers for the simple cost of that computer. We can't. So we look to blame someone for that. Do we blame Avid? Or blame ourselves for investing in Avid?

Would you rather be a Logic or Nuendo user being forced to upgrade right now? Or an HD user? So what did we do wrong that we're having the worst option in upgrading? We bought HD?

To me, this was a situation for Avid to take advantage of our situation. Introduce something that makes it easy to upgrade. Even without a trade in plan. Hell. I'll take my chances with ebay.

Make PCIe cards with 3X the power for $4995. Rewrite your software from the ground up to be lean and incorporate every great feature from your competitors DAWs. Make us WANT to upgrade to more power in an HD system. Then you continue to control the market because HD is as powerful as you can get and we have no desire to seek out a lesser DAW to save some money.
All it is, is bad timing.

That's it.

Avid will be coming out with new cards by the end of the year. If not, then they have truly left HD in the dust.

HD1 has no value anymore, and HD2 isn't really worth its price tag. All Avid has to do is release more powerful hardware, at this point.

Again, it's not up to Avid to keep G5s compatible. Apple made that decision, and everyone else followed suit. Hardware, software... doesn't really matter.

D

Old 09-08-2010, 02:07 PM

In my book, Dell is a hardware company and Adobe is a software company. Apple and Avid and UAD are hybrid companies: companies that attract customers with their software and enforce sales by linking it to their own hardware.

Apple and UAD were able to ship next generation products in the time since PTHD appeared. Avid failed to. The fault lies there.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Avid will be coming out with new cards by the end of the year. If not, then they have truly left HD in the dust.

HD1 has no value anymore, and HD2 isn't really worth it's price tag. All Avid has to do is release more powerful hardware, at this point.
If they do, I hope they'll consider a no-brainer upgrade path for current HD owners.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axiom View Post
If they do, I hope they'll consider a no-brainer upgrade path for current HD owners.

Mac Studio M1 Max
32 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.1
24 core Metal 3 GPU
Avid MTRX Studio
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12
HDX card
AVID TB3 1 slot PCie Chassis
Old 09-08-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
All it is, is bad timing.

That's it.

HD1 has no value anymore, and HD2 isn't really worth its price tag. All Avid has to do is release more powerful hardware, at this point.

Again, it's not up to Avid to keep G5s compatible. Apple made that decision, and everyone else followed suit. Hardware, software... doesn't really matter.
So we should upgrade (ahem - side-grade) our cards now only to have them replaced in a few months?

That's your suggestion?

We're dinosaurs with our old G5s but we should be suckered twice?
Old 09-08-2010, 07:55 PM

A rather odd wise man once said:

"HOLD FAST!"

Old 09-08-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
A rather odd wise man once said:

"HOLD FAST!"

I'm strangly in agreeance here, too.

D