Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-23-2011, 07:54 PM

Default Re: It's simple: don't upgrade.

Having read all the post here, and on Reaper, Gearsluts and Cubase regarding pt10, IMHO, the price is only part of the problem. Eventually we buy what we want when we can. There appears to be many HD users, high end studios and the professionals that are outraged. The costs these studios and individuals are out is staggering. Your remark, "Hopefully this thins the herd a little. No more amateur studios running "the industry standard"..seems to be a little premature as there actually seems to be more high end customers floored by this release then the home studio hobby group. Finger pointing and ranker is not what the author of this post was suggesting. It's the more about the position Avid took deciding to make this release. Were all educated here and the obvious is clear about how a company makes a profit, it's the lack of some type of loyalty that bones most of us. Then the high cost of thousands of dollars on top of that for a company that is 5 years or so behind the others is a little unsettling. There was a time when the home studio crowd led in the feeding of the coffers of this company, so yes sir, they have a voice and should. I'm not pointing fingers just pointing out the obvious. Ranting and raving is the process associated with change.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:59 PM

Hmmm... Trying to pinpoint the event in time that has led society to believe that it is acceptable to demand affordability in luxury products or non necessities. I agree with the poster who talked of embarrassment. But I'm not a fish that swims against the current, so if this is how things are now, can we boycot Dodge next? I'd like a new Challenger but I'd like it to cost Kia money.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abt View Post
So if you guys dropped $5K+ a month ago on a HD Native Omni bundle you'd be okay spending another $1k now to stay current?

"Staying current" must be a concept of the cool kids & hipsters amongst us. I used Protools Mix until 2006. Some people still use protools Mix with great results. I could still use protools mix if I had to.

Professional users let economics and business dictate the state of play. Upgrade when your business allows you to. You seem to be trying to indicate that your 1 month old native system is now destined for the scrap heap. I can assure you, that isn't the case. In fact, it negates any logic or reason whatsoever.

Get back to making music. That is why you bought the protools system, and believe it or not, that is what it still does... it helps you make music... exactly the same way it did when you purchased it.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:10 PM

Apples and oranges my friend. A Dodge Charger is, maybe by some counts, a luxury. A tool of your profession, in this case Pro Tools, is not. Put that together with the reality that if you, as a company, attempt to financialy rape your loyal userbase you will most likely eventually cease to be in business.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyl View Post
Having read all the post here, and on Reaper, Gearsluts and Cubase regarding pt10, IMHO, the price is only part of the problem. Eventually we buy what we want when we can. There appears to be many HD users, high end studios and the professionals that are outraged. The costs these studios and individuals are out is staggering. Your remark, "Hopefully this thins the herd a little. No more amateur studios running "the industry standard"..seems to be a little premature as there actually seems to be more high end customers floored by this release then the home studio hobby group. Finger pointing and ranker is not what the author of this post was suggesting. It's the more about the position Avid took deciding to make this release. Were all educated here and the obvious is clear about how a company makes a profit, it's the lack of some type of loyalty that bones most of us. Then the high cost of thousands of dollars on top of that for a company that is 5 years or so behind the others is a little unsettling. There was a time when the home studio crowd led in the feeding of the coffers of this company, so yes sir, they have a voice and should. I'm not pointing fingers just pointing out the obvious. Ranting and raving is the process associated with change.

Prematurity would be expecting a business to not act in the best of the business. Be it profit or otherwise... It is contrary that apparently the "mature" thing to do is constantly whinge like a child on internet forums because a company isn't doing something that fits your wallet. You could always exercise your right as a consumer, be mature about it... not buy it, put your old PT rig on ebay and leave the DUC forever. Just a thought.

You seem to be pointing out the obvious for the benefit of your own argument. This really isn't that expensive. You either weren't around or have forgotten how much HD systems were back in the day. The new HDx system is a bargin in comparison... without even considering the last 10 years of inflation! But apparently "us" studio owners are out staggering amounts?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:23 PM

Maybe you can pony up the cash for the upgrades as, it seems, you are flush with revenue in this present music business climate.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Apples and oranges my friend. A Dodge Charger is, maybe by some counts, a luxury. A tool of your profession, in this case Pro Tools, is not. Put that together with the reality that if you, as a company, attempt to financialy rape your loyal userbase you will most likely eventually cease to be in business.

Now I have heard everything. The only reason you feel financially raped is because you are the kind of guys that can't keep their wallets in their pockets and constantly feel the urge to bend over.

Protools is a professional tool. Why isn't the latest and greatest "professional tool" a luxury as well? You don't need it to continue as a professional. I certainly don't. A week ago I was doing fine without it... in a years time I will probably be doing fine without it also. If and when business permits I will upgrade to it.

For anyone arguing otherwise, they are rape victims of consumer behaviour.

It is like arguing that you are being financially raped because you need a pickup truck for business... the NEWEST MOST EXPENSIVE PICKUP TRUCK. Yeah, those pickup truck blokes are definitely financially raping you.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:24 PM

If I can't afford the tools of my trade I'm in the wrong trade. But also, if my tools are fine, why get new fancy ones if I can't justify the cost? But can we still boycot Dodge? I really need that Challenger. It's a chick magnet.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Maybe you can pony up the cash for the upgrades as, it seems, you are flush with revenue in this present music business climate.

I expect BOEING to give me a cheap jet aeroplane too, because I can't afford it.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketCase View Post
"Staying current" must be a concept of the cool kids & hipsters amongst us. I used Protools Mix until 2006. Some people still use protools Mix with great results. I could still use protools mix if I had to.

Professional users let economics and business dictate the state of play. Upgrade when your business allows you to. You seem to be trying to indicate that your 1 month old native system is now destined for the scrap heap. I can assure you, that isn't the case. In fact, it negates any logic or reason whatsoever.

Get back to making music. That is why you bought the protools system, and believe it or not, that is what it still does... it helps you make music... exactly the same way it did when you purchased it.
That's all well and good but you didn't answer the question. You expect us to believe that if you spent that kind of money on a relatively new flagship product only to find out less than a month latter there's a new version and it cost $1K you're totally okay with that? I don't believe you.

No where did I say anything about my current gear not being up to the task of making music or an absolute need for it to be up to date. What we're talking about is a fair go.