Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-08-2011, 07:12 AM

Default how to use ad/da with 002 and tc electronics

I want to use my tc electronics m one xl as the ad/da with my pt9. I currently use the m1xl as my ad converter. I now want to monitor through the m1xl da conversion, how do I achieve this? I hooked up my Genelecs through xlrs from the TC thinking I would set the output in pt i/o to spdif and set audio out on TC to digital. Is this correct? Thank you in advance for any help.

Also, the masterfader in the song, which I always use, has the output set to spdif. Shouldn't this get me signal from the d/a i.e. TC?

Last edited by yachty; 11-08-2011 at 07:19 AM. Reason: update
Old 11-08-2011, 12:59 PM

Default Re: how to use ad/da with 002 and tc electronics

When I record I set input on the M one xl to analog and go spdif into pt9 at 24/48k.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:13 AM

Surely someone has a suggestion, I appreciate the help.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:34 AM

My suggestion is; don't do this. The M-One XL is a great reverb/effect unit. But it was never designed to do what you are attempting. Use a D>A converter that is designed to do this and it will all work dandy. If you still feel the need, then remove any connections and run only a single SPDIF cable(a real SPDIF cable, not some old RCA cable from that cassette deck in the closet) from the 002 SPDIF out to the TC SPDIF in. Set(in the utility menu IIRC) the TC to digital input, put the unit in bypass(so you don't get reverb on the mix) and connect the XLR outputs to your powered speakers. Keep in mind that you may have no volume control with this setup(something a D>A converter would have). I ran the SPDIF out of my 002(now 003) to the SPDIF input of my Presonus Central Station, which worked fine, so that might also be a consideration(the Central Station offers a lot more functionality as well and I wouldn't give mine up).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-09-2011, 01:58 PM

Thanks Albee, I have pro grade cables, and research shows the chip in the TC to be high quality. Still ordering a separate ad/da but for now I need to hear what I have already.........